• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn to Have English Dub, 5-Language Subs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
This is good news, I look forward to seeing who the dub cast will be. Just keep Saji Crossroad's VA away Wink

May finally have to get a bluray player/drive of some sort, I guess a drive for Xbox360 is coming... Maybe a PS3??
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Bandai is actually dubbing again!? Silmutaneous release!? YAY!!! Razz
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Silmutaneous dub release very good. One 50 min episode per disc, not so good, I wonder what the price will be.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I am wowed by this news. Its great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Silmutaneous dub release very good. One 50 min episode per disc, not so good, I wonder what the price will be.

Simultaneous release seems odd. What's going to stop the the Japanese from reverse importing form the US, unless of course, the US release prices are the exact same? Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem far-fetched to buy the far cheaper American version if all the content will apparently be the same, not to mention that this is getting released one DVD/BD at a time, right? Assuming that's the situation, then the MSRP would be $29.99 or so with the dub, per episode, not counting if it's the same as the Japanese prices. If it were, then it would cost us $80 per episode.

What's the deal with this? Simultaneously releasing is fine and dandy, but not if it's one episode at a time for an insane premium. Let the Japanese otaku deal with that. Even assuming that it is a low price for Americans, even at a deal of say $15 per disc, $90 seems a little steep for 6 DVDs (12 episode's worth) and BluRay is obviously going to be more.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Simultaneous release seems odd. What's going to stop the the Japanese from reverse importing form the US, unless of course, the US release prices are the exact same? Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem far-fetched to buy the far cheaper American version if all the content will apparently be the same, not to mention that this is getting released one DVD/BD at a time, right? Assuming that's the situation, then the MSRP would be $29.99 or so with the dub, per episode, not counting if it's the same as the Japanese prices. If it were, then it would cost us $80 per episode.

What's the deal with this? Simultaneously releasing is fine and dandy, but not if it's one episode at a time for an insane premium. Let the Japanese otaku deal with that.

That is my thoughts, I'm a big Gundam UC fan, but for me to jump at the deal it is going to have to be under $20. A full length anime film on Blu-Ray at Rightstuf sells for $24.00.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm so looking forward to watching this.
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that was fast Laughing
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! The Blu-Ray version gets English audio but the DVD doesn't? WTF? Put some English audio on the DVDs, too! Ever hear of consistency?

Also, what's wrong with the elevens reverse-importing the U.S. DVDs? As long as they buy the discs, aren't the Japanese companies still getting the money?
chronoclast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What's the deal with this? Simultaneously releasing is fine and dandy, but not if it's one episode at a time for an insane premium. Let the Japanese otaku deal with that. Even assuming that it is a low price for Americans, even at a deal of say $15 per disc, $90 seems a little steep for 6 DVDs (12 episode's worth) and BluRay is obviously going to be more.

I think the dvds are actually just going to be Japan only for the time being considering the different dvd regions, unlike Blu-ray where they are the same, and not having the English dub. I'm assuming they are going to release these the same way the Freedom BD and dvds were released here. Simultaneous releases on BD only through Honneamise and then Bandai Ent. will release it in R1 on dvd with the dub later on.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to what studio is dubbing it in English. Are they doing an English dub in Japan? Or is it being done in an English-speaking country?

If it becomes an Ocean production, I hope they do a better job with it than they've been doing recently with Gundam dubs. Gundam 00's was awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm curious as to what studio is dubbing it in English. Are they doing an English dub in Japan? Or is it being done in an English-speaking country?

If it becomes an Ocean production, I hope they do a better job with it than they've been doing recently with Gundam dubs. Gundam 00's was awful.

Are we even watching the same show? Gundam 00 had a GREAT dub!

The smart money says Ocean'll dub it.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think the dvds are actually just going to be Japan only for the time being considering the different dvd regions, unlike Blu-ray where they are the same, and not having the English dub. I'm assuming they are going to release these the same way the Freedom BD and dvds were released here. Simultaneous releases on BD only through Honneamise and then Bandai Ent. will release it in R1 on dvd with the dub later on.

I am going to guess that you are right, but I will hold out hope. Those Honneamise dics are very steeply priced. Freedom went for 39.99 a disc, and the box set at $140.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:

I agree. Well, at least they said it would be streaming each episode online, so I should be able to wait a year or so after it wraps up for them to do a complete box.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hope it's not Animax English...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4