• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things ANN ought to take into consideration.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Greetings, I've been wondering, ANN is the most popular and most reliable anime site on the internet, and while the staff are making great efforts to improve the site, I feel they are disregarding certain aspects, like the user rating of a certain anime for instance, you can choose from "Masterpiece" all the way to "Worst Ever," but the thing is, we all know there is no "worst ever," some users might rate a show like Death Note (which has received so much hype and deserved it for the most part) as "Worst Ever" out of sheer disatisfaction with how popular it is without even watching it, we all know how much haters a popular anime series could spawn, of course some of those haters could be just, like those who hate Naruto or One Piece for their lack of originality and plagliarism of older shonen series (especially Dragonball), but for the most part, people tend to hate an anime without even watching it because of the hype, and so they instantly rate it as "Worst Ever," since their rating was irrational, and (as stated earlier), there is no such thing as "wost ever," I recommend the removal of "Worst ever," "Weak," and "Awful," the majority of fans who rate aren't necessarily professional in their view points.

The Other point is to balance the reviews a bit, it's true that each reviewer has his/her own opinion, but some reviewers labelled shows like Saint Seiya and Fist of the North Star as "Garbage" (or something to that effect), if they do not like it, there are millions who do, no professional writer should label an influential series as such, especially if those influential series happen to be the subject of plagliarism by ANN's number one beloved anime, Bleach, I have yet to see a review that discredits that anime for its lack of originality (it stole an entire arc from Saint Seiya with events and everything...), another irrational statement I found was on the Fairy Tail reviews, it's true that FT is completely unoriginal, but to mention that it has stolen the art style of Eichiro Oda of One Piece, completely ignorant of the fact that Oda has stolen Akira Toriyama's art style in Dragonball (not DragonballZ), if they cannot see it, i'm not forcing them to, but don't label Fairy Tail as a One Piece rip off without being entirely sure that One Piece itself is no rip off.. That's what I meant by balancing reviews out, if the person who adores Bleach and discredits Saint Seiya would realize how much the former stole from the latter, maybe he/she would feel a bit emberassed..
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
like the user rating of a certain anime for instance, you can choose from "Masterpiece" all the way to "Worst Ever," but the thing is, we all know there is no "worst ever,"

Spoken like someone who's never seen Sin: The Movie. Laughing

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
some users might rate a show like Death Note (which has received so much hype and deserved it for the most part) as "Worst Ever" out of sheer disatisfaction with how popular it is without even watching it, we all know how much haters a popular anime series could spawn, of course some of those haters could be just, like those who hate Naruto or One Piece for their lack of originality and plagliarism of older shonen series (especially Dragonball), but for the most part, people tend to hate an anime without even watching it because of the hype, and so they instantly rate it as "Worst Ever," since their rating was irrational

Actually, the encyclopedia has already taken this into account. There's more detail in this thread here, but the gyst of it is that for both the visual bar graph and "weighted" rating, the system takes into account people who always vote for things as either "masterpiece" or "worst ever" and makes their votes count less than people who rank things across the whole spectrum. So if you ignore the specific numbers of votes and just concentrate on the bar graphs, you get pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
The Other point is to balance the reviews a bit, it's true that each reviewer has his/her own opinion, but some reviewers labelled shows like Saint Seiya and Fist of the North Star as "Garbage" (or something to that effect), if they do not like it, there are millions who do, no professional writer should label an influential series as such

Well, a reviewer's job is to give their own opinion, not just parrot yours back to you. It's perfectly acceptable for a reviewer to still be "professional" while hating Fist of the North Star as long as they can articulate precisely why, in their opinion, that show stinks. I mean, I personally love Fist, but I'm not going to let someone else's opinion make me start hating the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
The Other point is to balance the reviews a bit, it's true that each reviewer has his/her own opinion, but some reviewers labelled shows like Saint Seiya and Fist of the North Star as "Garbage" (or something to that effect), if they do not like it, there are millions who do, no professional writer should label an influential series as such, especially if those influential series happen to be the subject of plagliarism by ANN's number one beloved anime, Bleach, I have yet to see a review that discredits that anime for its lack of originality. . .

Friend, there are these inventions called periods. Please figure out how to use them.

That aside, you have clearly not read this Bleach review if you are making the above claims. It quite clearly states that Bleach draws from a number of different earlier shonen action series.

And just because a series is popular and/or influential does not automatically make it good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1