• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Working!! (Wagnaria!!) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't find any topics, i'll just make my own.

Working!! (Wagnaria!!) (TV)

AnimeNewsNetwork Encyclopedia wrote:
Set in a family restaurant in Hokkaido, the northern prefecture of Japan, 16 year old high school student Takanashi Souta works part-time along with his strange co-workers: Taneshima Popura, a high school girl who's a year older than Souta who's easily mistaken for a elementary/middle schooler, and Shirafuji Kyoko the 28-year old store manager who doesn't bother to do any work at all.

Not long ago (about 1-2 days) episode 1 came out. And against all expectations i had about it being a stereotypical boring romance shoujo, it was a quite good comedy!

Immediatly at the beginning you have to laugh as Poplar is spoiler[mistaking for a little kid], and hilariously Takanashi is accused of spoiler[Being a lolicon], saying he only spoiler[Loves; Little kids, Puppies, Kittens, and other small and cute things)]

Sorry for any bad grammar and/or spelling, english is not my main Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I caught this before I went to work today. Yeah, it's kind of fun. Nothing extraordinary or innovative, but it gets the job done. I like the "older" assistant manager character who is sensitive about her age. A cute show that looks like it will have a dependable number of laughs per episode.
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
let's hope it doesn't turn out as (forgot name), that the jokes are funny, but after a few episodes get old as they make the same type of jokes over and over again -.-
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, variety will really be the key. Too many comedy anime establish their particular five or six gags and then relentlessly pound them into the ground. That's what I love about Hayate the Combat Butler: it constantly introduces new gags rather than just recycle the same handful every episode.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I really hate Poplar.
I don't care how cute she is, but she's annoying to watch already.

Anywayz, the first episode was pretty dull for me.
I wasn't that impressed but then again, I didn't expect much to begin with. The characters are too much like card-board cutouts already and the humor didn't settle with me well.

I feel like I'm going to hate this series alot Laughing

I like the character designs though.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Seems like it could be a 'filler' series (something I watch during waits for new episodes of other shows), but that's about it. It has good energy that was consistent through the whole episode, it (so far) didn't over use any gags (though the Poplar-is-a-little-kid thing shows signs of such), and the characters seem to have distinctive personalities.

Honestly though, the only reason I want to watch more is to have some questions answered: 1) Why does Yachio carry a katana? I'm sure that would be against store policies; 2) why is Inami so afraid of men? and 3) where are the cooks' hairnets? They have some considerable length to their hair, shouldn't hairnets be essential to prevent hair from falling into food? Yuck! I wouldn't eat there if I saw shaggy-haired cooks not wearing hairnets on the back-line...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
I put my original thoughts in the "what are you watching" thread, but I will go here too.

I like it, it isn't in a school focus, so that is a plus in being a bit different, but you might say that it is almost like Seitokai no Ichizon in a "working" enviroment (minus the harem thing).

I am a fan of comedy series, and so far this could interest me, it seems most gags are on each characters defining trait. Though one I found interesting was Inami, yes the girl afraid of men is cliche, but spoiler[she is more likely to kill them then run away scared.] And the main guy switching between the only normal person and pervert, except he said it wasn't anything perverted.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
hmm strange. I started this one, but saw the giant 4/4 stamp at the top and assumed that it was just a pre-release. I didn't think the new season started until the old season ended :O
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
it is a preview. The first ep comes out on the sixth of march, and the rest in april etc.
H0shi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
ahh...somehow i forgot my past account here, so im starting to sumthng new...

yeah, i think it's pre-release...i think its proper airing will be on april 4 - just like other spring anime...

i was thinking "this will be a harem/ecchi one" but when i watched the first episode, I was wrong.

There's a manga of it - but I decided not to read it for spoilers Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's been a fun ride up to episode 4. It feels as if the anime is improving by each episode. Each character is quite interesting, and on episode 4 his four sisters were introduced(and from the looks they seem like interesting and funny characters). One character that actually pisses me off is the girl with the sword, and perhaps the manager(just a little), but the former is easily curable. Satou looks a lot like Sanji from One Piece, and besides that he also smokes and acts like Sanji(except that Satou isn't a pervert).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Oh there was a Working!! thread. I am enjoying it, it is pretty funny with different traits such as Popular being like a child and Inami being violent. The blue haired guy is interesting in spoiler[blackmailing everyone, though I got a good laugh out of him being violently smacked by Inami when he gets near.

I also looks like Inami might have some romantic feelings for Sota, which would be some interesting development.]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
I've been watching this also - didn't know there was a thread!

First episode was kinda meh for me. But, when I watched ep 2 and saw the opening theme, I was hooked. Anime smile It's so zany and fun to watch!

I think I love the energy the most out of this series. There's always something going on. There are also quite a few curve balls spoiler[like with the blue haired guy and his blackmail techniques].

While I didn't like the restaurant setting at first, I'm finding this series to be more interesting because it doesn't take place at a school. That being said, they still don't completely exclude their "school lives" because they show them studying and such. Sometimes, I'm reminded of when I used to wait tables. For instance, how the manager manages by doing nothing in order to promote working hard to make up for her lack of productivity. Or how there's always a "suck up" to the boss (in this case, Katana Girl and it just adds to it that she's completely smitten). There's also that person who's always trying to get out of doing their daily tasks and the good chef who's cool and has to be the "balance". Although, I don't remember a fist-throwing-man-hater in the group I worked with. Prolly would have been more interesting.

For some reason, this show reminds me of Toradora!. Maybe it's the "!" in the name or the character designs. I'm not quite sure yet...

I, too, am hoping that they don't reuse jokes as often as Katana Girl makes the manager Sundaes. I could see the show getting really old around ep 10 if that continued.

Glad to see others are watching this. My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts for watching Working!! and B Gata H Kei. But I know he's secretly watching them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
Right off the bat, let me say: Love the OP. probably one of my favourite anime OPs, and it fits the series really well.

This anime is a lot of fun, so far. It's all very light hearted, and doesn;t require any great amount of concentration to watch. Sure, it's mostly throwaway humour, but we all need a little throwaway humour in our lives at some point!

The characters are fun, the animation is good, the plot is paper thin and the humour is predictable. Ground breaking, it certainly ain't. With the exception of Arakawa Under The Bridge (which is a completely different vein of humour), this is the funniest anime of this season for me. It reminds me a little of Bamboo Blade for some reason, probably in the same way that it doesn't take itself to seriously nor does it have any pretentions about being something it isn't.

This anime receives my seal of approval Very Happy
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm still liking this show, it's fun Very Happy .
I especially liked episode 3(?) where Takanashi spoiler[asks why Yachiyo carries that katana with her. It was like the rest of the staff never really noticed it until he brought it up.]

I kind of want to work there. I mean, how many places can you spoiler[attack the General Manager with a deadly weapon] and not get fired? Laughing

Regarding Inami: I was at first afraid that she was going to be the downfall of my enjoyment of this show, but my fears turned out to be wrong. Instead of running away from her phobia, she is indeed trying to cure herself of it. This makes the 'slip-ups' more amusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6