• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - MMMHolic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Quark wrote:
Edit: For the shelf owner, nice shelves, but a quick question - what are the two non-platinum Evangelion boxes you have there? I've never seen them before, and am quite curious.

I'm not the owner, by I know (well, pretty sure) it's a custom made Paul Champagne metal box, that's why you've never seen them in stores. He actually has several of them and the more I see them, the less I like them. They just stick out so much and I like my collection to blend.

He has designs for several shows on his site: http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html

Oh cool. I've never even heard of these these metal boxes before. It's a shame that I've only started buying exclusively from Rightstuf in the last three or four years, I would have loved to have snagged the Rayearth box, and the Eva box.
When you say they stick out though, do you mean that they look too different from the standard artboxes, or do you mean that in terms of size, they're much larger?

They're no different in size. The biggest thing you notice are the hinges on the sides. I really enjoy having artboxes, so if Cowboy Bebop hadn't come out with an official one I definitely would have bought one of Paul Champagne's.

I notice Anthony has both Moribito artboxes. Which one do you keep your DVDs in? I filled the new one with the DVDs and the old one with the sleeves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyhack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Nice to know someone shares my infatuation with anime, good beer, and whisky.

I laugh at the spell check when it says I spell "whisky" wrong!
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Good crop of reviews this week!

I loved Soul Eater! From its unique art style to the Dub it all worked for me, so far... And it's only 51 episodes! Not airing for longer than I've been alive -with some anime, if feels that way- is a major bonus, to me! I was beyond surprised by how much I really enjoyed this spin on Shonen as I wasn't expecting much. But Soul Eater really over delivered for me. And I really didn't click with the Japanese VO, which is fine, as the American Dub was quite good.

Maria Holic: Pass. In a big way. Don't get me wrong, I love Yuri -except for Utena and parts of Strawberry Panic- partially because I don't have to suffer the same stereotypical milquetoast male lead who overpopulates most anime these days.

Maria Sama, Aoi Hana, or Candy Boy makes me giddy like a little girl, but in a totally manly way; I love the genre, it's an Epic Win.

However, I find nothing humorous or entertaining about sadism masquerading as "comedy," or characters like Maria (whom I wanted to see get the Karmic payback equivalent of "Let's Welcome the New Cell Mate Night in a Turkish Prison" after the first few episodes).

If it were just poking fun at the tropes and worn cliches of Yuri anime (because anime's got, regardless of genre, lots of that goin' around), that'd be, I think, funny and entertaining: to see the genre roast itself over the coals of comedy. But there was nothing funny about this anime for me.

Anguish and emotional torture aren't funny, and I'm rather perplexed how some find this, or Maria's character, funny or entertaining as I certainly don't see the appeal of it.

I think Erica Friedman summed it up admirably as well. Maria Holic is beyond perishable. What's more, there are far better examples of the genre this this steaming pile; better dramas and comedies.

Girl's High... Greatly funny in the sense that it's very real. Too often anime over idealizes or fantasizes the roles of women or girls for the titillation of a male audience or a to play to stereotypes, thus, it's refreshing to see a more accurate portrayal of high school girls.

In reality, girls are crude, and gross, and every bit as bad as boys at that age, and that's what makes Girl's High so much fun, and funny to watch. [/i]
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I think Erica Friedman summed it up admirably as well. Maria Holic is beyond perishable. What's more, there are far better examples of the genre this this steaming pile; better dramas and comedies.

Haven't seen the show yet, but given that the only Akiyuki Shinbo projects I've seen and didn't like were the Negima?! series, which has more to do with me not "getting" Ken Akamatsu's appeal, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Ms. Friedman lost me when she had an LFB rating on almost every damn review.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
But Erica was reviewing the manga only, and from both her and Erin's suggestions, the anime lacked a lot of the problems present in the manga.

It seems as though you were specifically bothered by Mariya, yes he's mean and sadistic and easy to hate but that character type was essential for the particular story. Or is it that he's a crossdresser? Not confident enough in your own sexuality to admire a character that looks like a pretty girl, who is actually male? You reference other yuri shows, and being ok with them, but none of them have a crossdresser as a main character.

The story as told required the depiction of a boy who posed as a girl, and was visually indistinguishable from a girl when he did so. Because Kanako needed to fall in love with him for the plot to unfold.

I agree that Mariya made fun of Kanako's sexuality in a very distasteful way, and we were supposed to laugh at that, resulted in something that is degrading to gays and lesbians. So for that I agree the show is just mediocre overall.

But I think Mariya is an interesting character, and I happen to like delicious traps, so I still got something out of it for the warm fuzzies.

Oh completely on a tangent, nice collection, but I'll never submit or even take photos of my collection. While some are OCD towards alphabetization, I'm OCD towards complete randomness and disorder. My sister's ex-husband was the same way (or just lazy). He had thousands of novels, never alphabetized a single one. If he had it would have driven me bonkers.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
I just might check Soul Eater again just because it has my favourite voice actors in it. I saw the original sub version of Soul Eater, and Black Star got on my nerves too much.

I read the manga of Mariaholic, its premise is alright but so far it was nothing special for me.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Quark wrote:
Edit: For the shelf owner, nice shelves, but a quick question - what are the two non-platinum Evangelion boxes you have there? I've never seen them before, and am quite curious.

I'm not the owner, by I know (well, pretty sure) it's a custom made Paul Champagne metal box, that's why you've never seen them in stores. He actually has several of them and the more I see them, the less I like them. They just stick out so much and I like my collection to blend.

He has designs for several shows on his site: http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html

Oh cool. I've never even heard of these these metal boxes before. It's a shame that I've only started buying exclusively from Rightstuf in the last three or four years, I would have loved to have snagged the Rayearth box, and the Eva box.
When you say they stick out though, do you mean that they look too different from the standard artboxes, or do you mean that in terms of size, they're much larger?

As grapeofdeath said, they're normal sized. I just don't like how they look different from my chipboard boxes or even my tins. Consistency is very important on my shelf because I'm very anal about my collection.

I actually think you can still e-mail him with requests, so you may not be too late. His is e-mail is on his site if you want to try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Erin, if you were drinking scotch while writing this column, please do so again in the future. I laughed out loud several times. Accredited. Ha! Smile

Reading reviews when I've not seen the series is better than ones to which I have. Firstly, it removes any "disagreement" immediately. Secondly, it can help solidify my choice when buying anime. While my opinion may not be the same after viewing it, I certainly can't regret the extra push.

Soul Eater is one of those series. TRSI seems to want to rid itself of this series so badly, it's been on sale often, if not since it was stocked. Yet, I never bought it. I was too biased against it having read the brief description offered on the retailer's website. Now, I want it. Yesterday. So I'll be putting in another order soon for just this very title.

The comical write up was the push, not the actual observation. When a reviewer can apply their opinion with style, that makes a difference with me. Theron did the same thing with Spice & Wolf. Reading in between the lines of Erin's review, the enjoyment speaks for itself.

I can see this when reading the Maria Holic review. Despite Erin's shattered expectation (heh), the in-between-the-lines don't confirm this. Thus, I'll pass on this one for now. I'm sure, some day, it'll be had for $20.
Just a quick question: can those cultural notes be disabled? If not, then I'll definitely wait. Damn, those things are annoying.

Erin wrote:
Eriko never comes close to anime's legendary idiot Osaka of Azumanga Daioh...

Legendary idiot? Osaka is a legendary idiot? Why would you say something like that?

Sorry, couldn't resist, not that I disagree with it. Osaka's one of my favorite characters in anime history, so I'm glad Eriko doesn't come close. I'd pass on the series if she had. There is no other Legendary Idiot but Osaka.

I'm putting this series in the cart as well. I get the feeling some scenes in this series had Erin reminiscing of days long ago. I feel it. It's there. Otherwise, statements like "It's so rare that anime girls behave like actual girls" couldn't be made.

And I agree, it would be refreshing to see this. So I'm going to find out for myself. Smile

Now I'm going to comment on the shelves in this week's column. Not specifically to Anthony, but to everyone who collects.

I find it quite fascinating many people want chipboard boxes supplied with their anime. Yet, when most show off their collection, the best parts are rarely shown, just the binder.

Just an observation, folks. Nothing more. Not criticizing or making fun. Just find it curious, is all.

Great column, Erin. As for your upcoming Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne review, I will not be surprised if that stiff drink turns itself into an entire bottle.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Next week I'm reviewing Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, which may require a stiff drink.

Boy am I glad we're getting a second opinion on that. Zac, I love you and generally think you're awesome, but the fact that you gave that pile of misogynistic trash a good grade saddened me. Crying or Very sad

Hmm... I think at this point I need to at least check out Soul Eater. I was a little turned off by the first few episodes (all I ever watched in fansubs, it was licensed pretty quickly), but there seems to be a consensus that it improves...? The characters were rather amusing and that can carry a series through a lot of mediocrity.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I must be weird. I like sadistic characters like Mariya for some reason. Although I did find that many of these episodes, he didn't really play that big a part in several instances and that he part could have been easily modified to fit the story as you said. He kinda played more of a minor, sideline role through the series. Admit it, though, you gotta love how Yu Kobayashi practically changes her voice on the fly.

But, yes, Kanako really made the show.

It was Mariya's sadism that made the show for me; I like sadistic characters too, though I thought he could have been a little more sadistic(e.g. like the little sister and master in HE IS MY MASTER.) And Kanako was great too, kind of like a female parody of a male harem or echhi lead. I've never seen MARIA WATCHES OVER US but I always suspected MARIA HOLIC was a parody of that show. I happened to like the manga too and thought the anime was a good adaption of it--I was happy to see the dorm master get more attention. And I'm happy to see PING PONG CLUB get some positive mentions here, it's a very underrated anime, after re-watching it after seeing several other shows it now seems to me like a lowbrow subversion of a fanservice show.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
But Erica was reviewing the manga only, and from both her and Erin's suggestions, the anime lacked a lot of the problems present in the manga.

It seems as though you were specifically bothered by Mariya, yes he's mean and sadistic and easy to hate but that character type was essential for the particular story. Or is it that he's a crossdresser? Not confident enough in your own sexuality to admire a character that looks like a pretty girl, who is actually male? You reference other yuri shows, and being ok with them, but none of them have a crossdresser as a main character.

The story as told required the depiction of a boy who posed as a girl, and was visually indistinguishable from a girl when he did so. Because Kanako needed to fall in love with him for the plot to unfold.

I agree that Mariya made fun of Kanako's sexuality in a very distasteful way, and we were supposed to laugh at that, resulted in something that is degrading to gays and lesbians. So for that I agree the show is just mediocre overall.

But I think Mariya is an interesting character, and I happen to like delicious traps, so I still got something out of it for the warm fuzzies.

LOL! I went to graduate School at UC Berkeley, living in The Bay for many years. Two of my roommates in school were out lesbians, and I have many gay friends. I don't have any issues or qualms with the LBGT community, and very little phases me at this point regarding sexuality, whom people choose to love, or how they wish to live their lives.

And yes, while the manga was completely tasteless and without value, the anime, which was slightly toned down, wasn't much better and still without value.

Quote:
Or is it that he's a crossdresser? Not confident enough in your own sexuality to admire a character that looks like a pretty girl, who is actually male?

Wow. You really are looking to open a can of worms on the forums, huh. Think before you speak.

Not that my sexuality has any bearing here; but no. I've no such confusion or lack of confidence in my gender identity or sexuality.

What I take issue with is the main character Maria's sadism and the overall tone of the show, which I didn't find funny (mostly because of Maria's character).

Quote:
I agree that Mariya made fun of Kanako's sexuality in a very distasteful way, and we were supposed to laugh at that, resulted in something that is degrading to gays and lesbians.

Again, this is supposed to be funny? A sadistic and abusive crossdresser who gets off on torturing and degrading a lesbian girl until she falls in love with him? What's funny about mocking or abusing someone and their sexuality until you browbeat them into "loving you?"

Until you renounce you homosexual ways -which are a joke, and only meant to entertain others- and just "find a good man."

You should have just stopped at the word "degrading." And added the word "Offensive."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Kayu1111 wrote:
Really? She LIKES Girl's High? That show made me facepalm every five minutes. It's the most thinly veiled excuse I've ever seen to have girls running around showing off their panties and getting into fanservice-y situations. It's....crap. That's all I could think of to describe it.

That opinion is utterly ridiculous. I can't stand viewers who see something fan servicey and instantly shut off their brains so that they can't see all the other things that are going on. I found Girls' High to be an enjoyable and funny series. Unlike Erin, however, I'm not as entranced with the manga. Granted, I'm still only making my way through vol. 4, but so far I prefer the anime. As just one example, the anime made great hay for an episode about Eriko going to an elementary school reunion where she was looking forward to seeing an old crush. The manga basically handled that premise as a set-up followed by a perfunctory punch line. The anime version was far superior.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Great article, convinced me to go out and give Soul Eater a try.

Also, looking forward to your review of Rin. Zac's was highly amusing, so let's see if you can top it Laughing

Ya should update Twitter with your real time reactions too, would make a kickass addition to next weeks Shelf Life!
Joketsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
I pretty much registered just to say this.

I'm a lesbian. I love yuri, though my tastes tend to be wildly different than most. I prefer Queen's Blade to Maria-Sama ga Miteru any day. I give every series a chance to impress me.

I grew up watching mostly absurd humor, black humor, and satire. I adore series like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for being wickedly intelligent and making me grin constantly.

However, Maria+Holic is quite possibly one of the most foul, disgusting, offensive piles of garbage to ever get created and the fact people are enjoying it is frightening me. It's not cute, it's not funny, it's not satire in the least, and defending it by just saying "lol it's a joke" is the weakest excuse in the book.

Mariya is quite possibly one of the worst protagonists in history. I agree with the person who said all this series is is about beating on a poor, confused lesbian until she's forced to love a man. It's all I can see in it. It's depressing that this is the person we're supposed to be rooting for. Threats of rape? Threatening to set her on fire? It takes a lot to shock me, but this sent me through the roof.

It mimics real life behavior. I have been threatened with such things and worse for being gay and nothing else. The fact we're supposed to find this silly and endearing and good parody is absolutely foul. I'm not saying everyone will walk away with this message, but some braindead fool out there is going to see/read this series and think it's perfectly acceptable to do this stuff.

It's homophobia and misogyny in purest form. It's borderline hate speech, not parody. It's Class S at its worst, beating it into people that women are only good if being subservient to a man. Even if Mariya WAS a woman, I would not enjoy this series at all, as physical and verbal abuse have no place in a relationship whatsoever. All the show exists to do is teach hateful lessons and laugh at women, especially lesbians, in the cruelest of manners.

The creator has some serious mental issues that need to be sorted out. I rarely find myself agreeing with Erica Friedman, but what she said about this series I back 120%.

Anyone who finds this type of stuff funny, or thinks Mariya is a genuinely cool character, is not someone I would want to associate with ever.

I can understand not liking certain genres and wanting to see tropes deconstructed and not being comfortable with certain things, but I will never understand liking Maria+Holic.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy to see people speaking out against Maria Holic in this forum! That kind of sick perpetuation of stereotypes shouldn't be tolerated. Any show that bases its "comedy" on the degradation of a young lesbian girl should be called out on what it is. Offensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8