• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
J. Kudo wrote:
How cute! Nicktoons no longer wanted to be left in the dust of Disney's acquisition of Shippuden. Laughing

They had to get a popular shonen title of their own. Wink

Will dumbass CN follow suit? Razz

Cartoon Network has Bleach, albeit indirectly via AS. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Nickelodeon broadcasts in HD?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, Dragon Ball Kai is already edited for broadcast, and even in DVD and Blu-Ray format, so they probably won't need to make any further edits (I wouldn't be surprised if they did, though).

It's a shame CN couldn't get it, but they probably wouldn't know what to do with it if they did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
wow so, the two most popular anime in America went to CN's top competition. Nice CN Rolling Eyes
Katane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest when I say I'm more interested in the new Voltron then I am about Dragon Ball Kai. Everybody knows what happened at the end of Z so it doesn't make too much sense to relive this again and I also got a bad feeling about Monica Rial as Bulma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Katane wrote:
I also got a bad feeling about Monica Rial as Bulma.

She can't be any worse than Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma.

Monica Rial is a real talent. She'll probably be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
FMAvatard wrote:
*worries for the theme songs*

Don't waste your time worrying. There's virtually no chance they won't be changed / removed.

Well, even though Cha-La Head-Cha-La (nor Zenkai Power) was never dubbed into English, all other Dragon Ball theme songs have been done (Makafushigi, Romantic Ageru Yo, Dan Dan, and all four of GT's ED songs), so it looks likely that they're going to dub "D'Oregon Soul" and "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" into English, complete with (probably) Vic M doing the vocals *shudder*. I'd be pleasantly surprised if (1) they leave it in Japanese, and (2) they don't shorten the OP even further like they did with Brotherhood on [as].
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Best news for anime in the past month, after a lot of wonky news bits. Hope it gets a whole new generation of kids onto DB and Voltron.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
"Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" into English, complete with (probably) Vic M doing the vocals *shudder*

Vic's version of "Dan Dan" for DBGT was fairly decent. I've never liked him much as a voice actor, but his singing voice isn't bad.

Anyway, I'm guessing the OP and ED will be skipped, if not truncated.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Nick showing DBZ? LOLWUT? I wonder if it'll be edited.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Nick showing DBZ? LOLWUT? I wonder if it'll be edited.

As I've said, Kai is already censored.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
J. Kudo wrote:
How cute! Nicktoons no longer wanted to be left in the dust of Disney's acquisition of Shippuden. Laughing

They had to get a popular shonen title of their own. Wink

Will dumbass CN follow suit? Razz

Cartoon Network has Bleach, albeit indirectly via AS. Razz

Cartoon Network and AS are virtually two different entities now (they have been for a while now), they simply share the same channel. The only anime CN has to its name are stupid craptastic cardbased 22 minute toy commercials. With the exception of one or two remnants of a cartoon left to their channel they have sold their souls to the reality tv devil and are suffering for it (rightfully so). Now like a slow rotting course its since detached siamese twin (adult swim) is devouring them slowly taking away its airtime little by little as proof by the recent press release that AS was going to gain another hour starting 2011. It's no wonder CN didn't get Kai, in fact I'm not surprised they didn't go for it, the big execs over there clearly have no idea what they're doing anymore.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow.... I'm speechless,All i can say is,this is almost like a rebirth on anime on Nick,almost like the old days of the old school Nick Jr era with Cities of mysteriouse gold,Maya the bee,The little bits,The noozles(AKA: Wonderful koala blinky), the Little Koala

only this time it's Dragonball kai on nicktoons network,interesting Very Happy

this era of television this decade is like weird and WTF,but also pretty cool. the thing is cartoon network has been on a streak of dying quite some time now,I mean 2 hours of bleach and FMA Brotherhood is'nt enough to save CN or adult swim in general,so now we have all these other animes on different channel,like we also have Rave Master on Scifi ani-monday.
keikanki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Just caught Update 2:

Quote:
Nicktoons, a spinoff of Nickelodeon, will also launch Voltron Panthera Force from World Events Productions, Ltd. in conjunction with Kick Start Productions. (The channel did not specify if Voltron Panthera Force is Japanese-animated or not.)

Oookay? Anyone know anything about this Voltron Panthera Force thing? Confused

We're supposed to know about this stuff right? Our mainstream friends are supposed to come to us at times like this to ask "What the heck is Pantera Voltron?" and we're supposed to be able to answer them right...? ("Oh yeah, the Japanese title is...")

What black hole did this fall out of? I haven't been felt this unsuspecting about something anime related since before I found the internet.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, it's me again.

(sigh) I really should post here more often.

Anyway, I think it's safe to assume that , like Speed Racer, The Next Generation, the new Voltron show is strictly an American production. In this case, it's one not based on any existing anime. Either way, I don't mean any offense, but we really don't need Voltron (a combination of two unrelated shows for syndication purposes) anymore anyway. Thanks to Media Blasters, we now have the original Go Lion, and they just recently released the first volume of the original Dairugger as well. For this reason, and in my honest opinion, any "new" Voltron series would be an insult to anyone who "knows the difference", since (also like SR:TNG) it would really pretend as though Japan doesn't exist.

As for DB(Z)K, whatever it is they do, I hope that a certain line is translated properly this time. As some of you may know, "it's" actually supposed to be "over EIGHT thousand". Maybe it did inspire an internet meme, but Vegeta nonetheless says "'Hassen' ijou da", and not "kyusen". Incidentally, I'm not buying that "changed for dubbing purposes" bit.

Incidentally, I think the earliest anime NICK broadcast was "The Adventures of the Little Prince". It was originally made by a company called Knack (as "Hoshi no Ojisama: Petit Prince") back in 1978 (NICK aired it back in 1983).

As for future acquisitions, I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves...at least not just yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7