• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakaShin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I have a strong feeling CN will counter this with Queen's Blade Very Happy. Maybe Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple From the Director of Naruto: Shippuden The Movie.
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Brakus wrote:
"Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" into English, complete with (probably) Vic M doing the vocals *shudder*

Vic's version of "Dan Dan" for DBGT was fairly decent. I've never liked him much as a voice actor, but his singing voice isn't bad.

To me he comes off as a Barry Manilow wannabe. It's tolerable, but I just don't like seeing almost every anime theme dubbed into English with him singing it. And for the record, I cringed at his versions of "We Are!" and "Hikari E".

Quote:
Anyway, I'm guessing the OP and ED will be skipped, if not truncated.

Again, I'd be surprised if at least the OP stays put untouched and in Japanese. I'm more hopeful that the content of the show itself will be given a more faithful treatment/translation from the original Japanese. Since the show is supposed to be closer to the manga, maybe they'll translate Vegeta's power level on his scouter correctly. Wink
Ashes of Astroworld

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, now I'm really glad I got AT&T's U200. I totally did not expect DBZKai coming on Nicktoons. I guess they do want to make a testing ground if they want to air anime on the main network. Kudos to Funimation for getting DBZkai on the air.

Now, how about getting Pretty Cure here in the States...
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
For the love of God, put it on at 3:00. Even if I don't watch it, as long as it makes kids as Dragon Ball crazy as I was when I was a kid.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll be sticking to my lovely Uncut and Unedited DVD Box Sets of Dragon Ball Z Kai (first one with episodes 1-13 comes out in may 2010).
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Nickelodeon.

A television network famous for its tacky pre-teen comedies and cartoons. When people think Nickelodeon, they think SpongeBob Squarepants. This network knows nothing about how to market true anime in its most classic and pure state.

Many years ago, the golden age for 'Anime' struck America in the form of Cartoon Network's 'Toonami' program, which featured the most successful and most popular animated cartoons from Asia. Following this success, it ignited an explosion of interest in the foreign pop-culture among Western audiences. Things like Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Cowboy Bebop, helped created the inroads for some of the stuff you see today. Even the mediocre anime-inspired American cartoons, like The Last Airbender.

What's upsetting to me about this, is how badly some of these classic anime cartoons are being treated by the many companies that have gotten their hands on them. Nickelodeon couldn't compete with Dragonball Z years ago, so they make their own using Japanese talent and take credit for an artstyle that isn't theirs. Then, Disney and Warner Bros. lose the license to produce films of Dragonball, to a company that's proven it's no longer about the essential principal basics of filmmaking and creation, with its business close to 100% about moneyflow, due to cockheads like Tom Rothman.

I wish people would realize the 'Golden Age of Anime' has been over since the late '90s. Dragonball had networks talking and wanting, since its success on television around the world. Afraid, that no other anime from Japan has seen the success Dragonball did on American television. So, if Dragonball, couldn't keep the anime interest alive to a broader audience among the Western audiences, then no other anime can.

Disney had to make up for their loss years ago by acquiring something that's dishonoring anime, to say the least. Like I've said to many people before, this is the darker ages of anime. There's nothing to keep it afloat these days. You go to an anime convention and you meet the socially inept Kakashi who can't remove his mask due to his self-esteem issues, and the Sakura who had to have her costume made 3x bigger, or the Naruto who's the stereotype of the..... Naruto stereotype.

I was watching this video on YouTube of Kyle Hebert walking around a convention with a videocamera saying hi to people. He came across two couples together: one dressed as Great Saiyaman and Great SaiyaGirl, and two: one dressed as Kiba and the other Akamaru. The most interesting thing about watching this, was noticing how normal the Saiyaman couple was in comparison with the Kiba couple. Saiyaman and Saiyagirl actually spoke to Kyle's face, clearly, and without nervousness in their voices. The Kiba and Akamaru fit the description of some socially inept and intensely insecure folk who only come out of their homes to visit a costume convention where they can hide behind costumes and not their home, instead.

Is this how people of this generation want Americans to recognize anime? (At least Dragonball was able to tap a potential that reached to many different types of people; jocks, skaters, nerds, preps, and to much higher demographic: years ago they conducted surveys that proved this). Like, I said, there's one import out today that I feel is dishonoring anime. One that has such a precise demographic that you can only find in -one- place.

*phew*
Welp. We'll see how this all goes down. Neither Nick or Disney deserve to run anime, to be perfectly honest.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
A new Voltron...? Considering how the LAST "new" Voltron went, I'm understandably worried... :\ And the fact that they're announcing this without screenshots, video, character, or mecha designs is also worrying... As if its airing on NickToons of ALL things wasn't worrying enough. :\ Assuming it ends up being any good, I hope it'll streamed somewhere cause I'm pretty sure my Comcast HD package doesn't get that (it's really just Basic Cable with HD channels)... I'll quietly hope for some miracle that gets today's kids to feel the BUUUUUUUUUUUURN of SUPER ROBOT SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITS!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm not holding my breath. :p
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
For the love of God, put it on at 3:00. Even if I don't watch it, as long as it makes kids as Dragon Ball crazy as I was when I was a kid.

I don't know where you live, but the elementary and middle schools get out at 3:00 here. It'd probably be best to put it on at either 4 or 5 so that it gives kids time to get home, do homework and eat dinner before it comes on.

Maruna wrote:
First they passed on Naruto, and now they pass on Dragonball Z, of all things.

Proof we'll never see another non-toy-commercial anime on Cartoon Network again.

This was the very first thing to pop into my head. How in the world do you not re-air what was probably your biggest show for years?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
This was totally unexpected. It makes sense that they put it on Nicktoons and not Nickelodeon (as it would probably get booed off by retarded parents that don't realize that TV's have "off" buttons).

Nicktoons is a much better, less controlling channel than Nickelodeon. I look forward to seeing this.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Maruna wrote:
First they passed on Naruto, and now they pass on Dragonball Z, of all things.

Proof we'll never see another non-toy-commercial anime on Cartoon Network again.

Ugh. This is a definately WTF and a 'WHAT IN THE HOLY HIGH HELL ARE THEY THINKING ??? " moment for CN.

Now another good series is at the mercy of another 4kids channel where like with naruto it's gonna be severly edited.

What's worse is that CN is slowly but surely converting to a 4kids friendly clone with all of the live action series and not enough of the anime series that made it what it is. it's time like these that made me miss the late 90's where anime was booming on CN and on it's AS broadcast

Like with Naruto Shippuden , DBZ Kai it's gonna be the second series i watch in sub and will get the DVDs instead if watching it on TV.

Luckily I know that Bleach definately wont be leaving CN , however after this news I have serious doubts about it's future now and for CN's sake , they better remove those dead weight live action as well as remove the people in charge of their broadcast production cause they have no clue on what their thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Wait, jr0904, what's with this statement?

Quote:
Now another good series is at the mercy of another 4kids channel where like with naruto it's gonna be severly edited.

You're implying that Naruto Shippuden is severely edited on Disney X-D, when it's been edited surprisingly little compared to what we expected of them. I believe others compared Disney X-D's censorship level of Naruto Shippuden to that of the early Toonami run of Naruto before they got comfortable with the show. But you're saying Disney X-D has had severe edits on the level of 4Kids. I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if Disney X-D had done any major 4Kids-level changes like changing someone from black to white to not offend people, or anything like that which made 4Kids infamous. They've changed a few lines from "kill" to "destroy" and cleaned up a little blood around dead bodies, but nothing extreme.

As others have said, Nicktoons Network airs Avatar and Invader Zim, both of which can be harder for younger viewers to get(with Invader Zim outright being disturbing for younger children), plus they air several other cartoons at least aimed at a tween audience. I'd say NickToons Network is a safe place for DBZ Kai. After all, it's not like DBZ Kai is something on the level of Elfen Lied or even Hellsing, where you'd have to cut out half of every episode to get it to American tv standards.

And with both Cartoon Network and Nicktoons Network having the word "toon" in their name, only NickToons Network continues to air only cartoons. NickToons may be more loyal to cartoons than Cartoon Network, give them a chance. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Just saw the commercial on TV for DBK, just to clear up any confusion, it is for TV not online.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
siradix wrote:
Just saw the commercial on TV for DBK, just to clear up any confusion, it is for TV not online.

There's a commercial?

I can't seem to find it posted anywhere at all on the internet Sad.
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
I'll take a look around on the net, the commercial itself wasn't really that great.
torreyjs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
Why are people in this thread bitching so hard that more mainstream popular anime is getting broadcast in America? This will only be good for potential future sales and popularity. How many anime fans here started off with hugely popular series like DBZ or pokemon or something to move into what you are now with your collections etc.

This gives hope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7