• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Homeward Bund

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
On another note, RightStuf's fourth audio clue is posted on ANNCast. Hmm....
Graddick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
By the time Gundam 00 came out, the damage had been done such that it performed even worse than SEED Destiny.

From what I have heard both of those shows did well when compared to Turn A Gundam. American Gundam fans loved it but the Japanese did not. And since we all know that if something fails in Japan in must fail everywhere else (just like how success in Japan guarantees success overseas....am I right Bandai Visual?....hello?) so we are never going to get a north american release.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure something interesting was going on in this thread, but whew! This is quite the reaction to this episode of the podcast. I might read this thread one day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
You see the same thing among comics fans, whether it's Indy comics or lower level Marvel books like Spidergirl (currently on it's 6th or 5th revival after a cancellation was announced)- if they're a fan of a book, they really support it. It keeps things going, keeps artists working, keeps companies alive in a tiny market, and did so long before and after the bookstore boom. When companies like Fantagraphics or Alternative Comics announced financial troubles, people ordered their books, ordered from their webstore, and got things working again, and when an artist is sick or hurt, it's pretty common to see stuff like fundraiser books, and fans rallying to make things better (off the top of my head, fans helping out Dave Cockrum's wife after he died, Lea Hernandez's house burning down, or John Ostrander's recent battle with glaoucoma, or fans organizing to get artists the rights to their original artwork from Marvel/DC in the 70's).

It's a really sharp contrast from the colder views of anime fans when a company is in trouble.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Spider-girl was canceled for what I suppose is its last time. I think it was last year or in 08.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

It's a really sharp contrast from the colder views of anime fans when a company is in trouble.

Colder? I'm not even sure that's the word. A good portion of the "fans" are absolutely gleeful when companies experience trouble or go out of business. They prefer their anime unsullied by the exchange of currency. One wonders where they think anime comes from.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Code Geass is awesome, what's with all the hate?

R2 was as awesome as Gundam Seed Destiny or Gundam 00 S2.

At no point was 00, either season, as horrifically bad as Seed Destiny, or even the original Seed.

Code Geass, that was at least entertainingly bad.

Gundam 00 S2 was easily worse than Gundam Seed. Instead of Mizushima, and Kuroda figuring out that by changing Celestial Being so that they don't look like a terrorist organization who uses brute strength to get what they want, they instead replaced all the well developed characters with one note cutouts who all talked like pro wrestling heels, and Ribbons was reduced to causing massive atrocities and then covering them up with VEDA just so Celestial being will actually look good.

Also while Gundam Seed's attack on politics, and special interest groups are even more relevant than they where in 2002, Gundam 00's ridiculous idealistic look at politics and the world is completely irrelevant 2 years later.

As for Gundam Seed Destiny, I consider Code Geass R2, and Macross Zero to be worse. At least Gundam Seed Destiny occasionally had a good scene, and Durandal was actually a well developed villain. That and didn't have an entire arc based off of imperial Japanese propaganda like Code Geass R2.

Code Geass R2 kept on trying to make me root for Lelouch even though he was an insane madman, and the message they where trying to get across where usually completely warped, and characters actions where quickly forgiven with no real punishment given.

Macross Zero was completely boring, condescending to the audience, and had a love affair between Kawamori and his budget.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Spider-girl was canceled for what I suppose is its last time. I think it was last year or in 08.

Actually, it got moved to some online comics on Marvel's website, which were printed as backups in other Spiderman comics, while more Digests volumes were collected. And just got launced as another new ongoing, the Spectacular Spidergirl, so it's back from the dead again. I suppose because the book collections keep selling. They also made a minimate figure of her not too long ago Smile

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=15063 Coming to stores this May apparently [lol, MayDay Smile]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

[In] Gundam Seed Destiny [...] Durandal was actually a well developed villain.

Perhaps, but it's a pity we didn't get to see most of the series from Durandal's perspective. That would have been...well, interesting and entertaining. Imagine that.

For better or for worse, Code Geass R2 had a protagonist who didn't have someone practically hijack the show away from him after a certain point. Nor did it throw tons of flashbacks and excessive recycled footage at the viewer. It also didn't have such a disappointing and unwelcome ending that Sunrise had to extend and reanimate the whole thing in order to give it a semblance of decency. And so on and so forth.

Naturally, the show has its own objective and subjective flaws but I believe continuing that exercise isn't the point here.

Not only would it be redundant, considering that's all been debated before, but it's also getting way too off-topic.

Honestly, you don't have to look very far in order to notice that both critical and popular opinion are generally kinder towards R2, if not always in terms of quality then definitely in terms of entertainment value. Which is, in the end, why people watch anime in the first place. The exceptions, while always potentially welcome, are comparatively rare.

This also ties back quite nicely into something that was actually discussed during the podcast, so I'll stop right there.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll be taking a chance on following Spider-girl yet again. Maybe if she gets the Wolverine/Deadpool overexposure treatment,..
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

[In] Gundam Seed Destiny [...] Durandal was actually a well developed villain.

Perhaps, but it's a pity we didn't get to see most of the series from Durandal's perspective. That would have been...well, interesting and entertaining. Imagine that.

For better or for worse, Code Geass R2 had a protagonist who didn't have someone practically hijack the show away from him after a certain point. Nor did it throw tons of flashbacks and excessive recycled footage at the viewer. It also didn't have such a disappointing and unwelcome ending that Sunrise had to extend and reanimate the whole thing in order to give it a semblance of decency. And so on and so forth.

I would rather have a show with massive flaws, bad execution, and two interesting characters than a show that is goofy, and just flat out morally bankrupt.

I wish someone would hijack the show away from Lelouch because it would stop the show from constantly trying to excuse his actions, and try to claim that Lelouch was right all along. The show had lame excuses that don't even come close to excusing the actions of the characters, and sometimes it instantly forgives them because they felt bad.

No feeling bad that you tried to commit genocide does not make you a "Good person"
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No feeling bad that you tried to commit genocide does not make you a "Good person"

Don't like it, don't watch it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:

Don't like it, don't watch it.

It was bile fascination to see how bad it could get. That and I liked the first season due to the fact that it looked like it could amount to something.

Nightjuan is right while Code Geass was mentioned I really don't think this is the time and place for this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Gundam 00 S2 was easily worse than Gundam Seed. Instead of Mizushima, and Kuroda figuring out that by changing Celestial Being so that they don't look like a terrorist organization who uses brute strength to get what they want, they instead replaced all the well developed characters with one note cutouts who all talked like pro wrestling heels, and Ribbons was reduced to causing massive atrocities and then covering them up with VEDA just so Celestial being will actually look good.

The only thing Celestial Being was doing that was wrong was playing into the hands of a greater menace, and they were taking steps to correct that mistake in season two. They were the lesser of two evils, in my opinion, especially since they realized the foolishness of their philosophy, and had a good head about not getting to self-righteous. Setsuna, perhaps, was self-righteous, but got better in the second season, when he started thinking of other people other than himself and his fight against the world.

But if you're looking for strawman arguments about what is good and evil, look no further than Gundam SEED, where instead of a rational debate over genetic engineering, anyone who was against it was some kind of over-the-top genocidal monster, with ties to weapons makers. Because nobody could possibly be against creating a race of supermen who are genetic betters to the less fortunate unless they were evil, am I right?

Not to mention, as silly as it could get, 00's staff was clearly trying to accomplish something, and I'll take a try over a pale, assembly-line borefest like Seed that had no spirit or personality to it, to its characters, story, or even art. It feels plastic and hallow, and is frankly a little insulting that not only did they think they could pass it off as "Gundam for a new generation", but that they actually succeeded, as far as popularity.

Quote:
Durandal was actually a well developed villain

Yeah, it was great how he went from somebody who was obviously going to be a main villain later on into a guy who was the main villain later on.

As far as your accusation that Code Geass was somehow pro-Japanese propaganda, I think you're reading too hard into it. It's just a dumb robot/fanservice show with mystical superpowers.

Macross Frontier was probably better than the lot of these programs. It was pretty much exactly what the original series was. Though that was sort of the problem, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

The only thing Celestial Being was doing that was wrong was playing into the hands of a greater menace, and they were taking steps to correct that mistake in season two. They were the lesser of two evils, in my opinion, especially since they realized the foolishness of their philosophy, and had a good head about not getting to self-righteous. Setsuna, perhaps, was self-righteous, but got better in the second season, when he started thinking of other people other than himself and his fight against the world.

But if you're looking for strawman arguments about what is good and evil, look no further than Gundam SEED, where instead of a rational debate over genetic engineering, anyone who was against it was some kind of over-the-top genocidal monster, with ties to weapons makers. Because nobody could possibly be against creating a race of supermen who are genetic betters to the less fortunate unless they were evil, am I right?

Not to mention, as silly as it could get, 00's staff was clearly trying to accomplish something, and I'll take a try over a pale, assembly-line borefest like Seed that had no spirit or personality to it, to its characters, story, or even art. It feels plastic and hallow, and is frankly a little insulting that not only did they think they could pass it off as "Gundam for a new generation", but that they actually succeeded, as far as popularity.

Quote:
Durandal was actually a well developed villain

Yeah, it was great how he went from somebody who was obviously going to be a main villain later on into a guy who was the main villain later on.

As far as your accusation that Code Geass was somehow pro-Japanese propaganda, I think you're reading too hard into it. It's just a dumb robot/fanservice show with mystical superpowers.

Macross Frontier was probably better than the lot of these programs. It was pretty much exactly what the original series was. Though that was sort of the problem, too.

Blue Cosmos where not just against genetic engineering, they where genocidal maniacs who where trying to purge the solar system of coordinators. The same thing was true of ZAFT, or do you think that the Director and Writer actually agreed with Patrick Zala's philosophy that the naturals where outdated beings who needed to be purged from the Earth.

While I do agree that at times it came off like a commercial for tampering with our genes, they also present people who do so as incredibly shallow, with parents being pissed if their child didn't have blue eyes.

I also heavily disagree with you on the fact that SEED was shallow. One of the main themes was the corruption of government where Blue Cosmos/Logos controls the Atlantic Federation to further their own goals. It also explores the middle east conflict (something that Gundam 00 barely touches upon) in more detail with the North Africa arc, with ZAFT standing in for Isreal, and Desert Dawn representing Palestine.

The Athrun and Kira rivalry was also interesting exploring why people fight, and what you should be fighting for. It also get's better as the series goes on with Dearka finding out that Naturals are not what he thought they where, and Athrun making his descision.

Compare that with Gundam 00 S2, where the well developed three powers are replaced with the Innovators a bunch of villains who all share the exact same personality "Foolish humans! We Innovators are the ones who are meant to control you" without any talent to back that up. The battles also get worse as Celestial Being starts easily defeating everyone just by using their special mode. By the end of the series the battles are barely better than the ones from Gundam Seed Destiny, with only the Setsuna vs. Ribbons battle being the only one that's good.

Also I disagree with you on Celestial Being learning anything. They don't change, their plans are still just blowing crap up and hope everything works out for the best. Their plan made no sense. I mean when have nations ever united for long periods of time because of war? The US' first major trading partner was Britain not France, and the Cold War began immediatly after World War II. Churchill wanted to invade Russia during World War II. The long lasting allies caused by World War II was Germany and Japan because we forced an alliance with them.

They didn't figure out that using force of arms to get what you want was bad, they did it all the time. The series accuses the three powers of using force to get what they want when Celestial Being was guilty of that more than anything.

As for the China arc of Code Geass being based off of the Imperial Japanese propaganda, than that would mean Taniguchi and Okouchi are complete idiots and unlucky because that was way to precise to be accident.

Japan invades China to free East Asia of Western Imperialism was the excuse Japan gave for the Pacific War. There is no way that Taniguchi and Okouchi did not know that, and the fact that the plot of the China arc was basically just that makes me think they are sympathetic with Imperial Japan. Also Japan basically leads the UFN completely without the other nations really having any real control.

Their is no way that this is a coincedence their are too many similarities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15