• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Homeward Bund

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Really really enjoyed this show guys :3 just wanted to say (thanks for the "Creamy Mami" name drop too.)

While I do think editing out original content is bad. I do kindof think Moe fans are being a little......unflexible to the idea. Like its been said, they're getting most of what they want and have many alternatives to get what they want. Plus its not like the nudity is really important to the plot. Does anyone remember the Toonami edits made to Tenchi Muyo, where Ryoko wore a strange glowing purple bikini during bath scenes? I always thought nudity edits were funny, personally Anime hyper
(and that's all I'm going to say on that subject)

I really hope Media Blasters pulls through,
Welp, better go off to buy Magic Users Club and Weiss Kreuz. (maybe Seven of Seven)

Moe fans were complaining about stuff not being licensed (it's still uncommon see Tenchi's coment above) not about censorship. Bund is in no way a moe show, it lacks moe chara, it's not slice of life, there's no forced affect to any of the characters.
I like comedy TV censors quite a lot, e.g. Hayate no Gotoku. I find echii comedy series far more funny for all the censor.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

As for the Vampire Bund crap, I would honestly prefer it edited. The story isn't bad; the naked overtly sexual loli makes it icky, way too icky for me to ever enjoy completely without squirming. I'm all for artistic integrity, but I don't think anything's lost by taking that out of the story.
Well I'm sure glad we're all adults living in the 21st century, where "icky" is the determining factor in making something illegal, wrong or needing to be subdued or removed from our society. Why don't we go ahead and outlaw all those other icky things that in recent current events have received media attention?

Well, that's why I'm not the one doing the censoring. The point I'm making is that Vampire Bund isn't a show designed solely to pander to loli fans...it's a good story with really nice production values with underage nudity just kind of slapped down in the middle. It's really jarring and unnecessary, and if someone wants to fix that little bit of continuity I don't have a problem with it (just like I wouldn't have a problem with anyone getting rid of excessive fanservice obviously included to attract viewers in an otherwise really excellent story).
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

Sora no Manimani doesn't have romance? lol.

Well, the romance is there, but it's enough in the background for me to appreciate the show on other levels.

Quote:
Didn't Hidamari Sketch just get a release?

Dunno why, maybe I ought to give it a second chance, I just have trouble getting into any show with "sketch" in the title.

Yeah, I can completely understand that about Manimani. The definite focus of that series was on portraying the awe and atmosphere of space, which it did spectacularly. It had the romance in the background as a sort of running joke.

and I haven't seen Hidamari, so I can't really say anything, and it is a shaft title after all. So I'd be hesitant <.<.

But Sketchbook Full Colors (another one which I'm pretty sure lacks a north American release) is fantastic.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
really nice production values

clearly someone who hasn't watched it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hope the MB's problems don't go the way Justin and Zac predict, or that they can find a way to work smaller [more subbed releases again?].

Thanks to Daryl [miss animejump :( ], Zac and Justin for talking the real stuff.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
People might be disappointed to hear that one of the japanese 2ch sources was reporting Ironman will not be premiering this season. Moonphase now lists it for October.

Quote:
Some variation of "She's 9..." "But she's really 500 so it's okay </sarcasm>"

One thing I don't understand is how old do people expect these characters to look. Is a 1000 year old person supposed to look the part? Or is the Shana trick of their age freezes when they become immortal a problem? (Shana's official age is "Looks 12, actual age unknown".) Yes, they made her look 9 for a reason and they actually tried to make it a plot device supposedly too. But how do people expect unrealistically aged people to appear?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That quote attributed to Voltaire comes to mind.

And was kinda half quoted by Zac in a distorted form.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
It hasn't been seconded yet, so I want to second Figure 17 as something from M-B to pick up because it's probably already hard to find and is excellent. I rated it Masterpiece on ANN. Think of it as a slice-of-life plus alien invasion action series directed by Hayao Miyazaki that wasn't directed by Hayao Miyazaki.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
People might be disappointed to hear that one of the japanese 2ch sources was reporting Ironman will not be premiering this season. Moonphase now lists it for October.

Quote:

One thing I don't understand is how old do people expect these characters to look. Is a 1000 year old person supposed to look the part? Or is the Shana trick of their age freezes when they become immortal a problem? (Shana's official age is "Looks 12, actual age unknown".) Yes, they made her look 9 for a reason and they actually tried to make it a plot device supposedly too. But how do people expect unrealistically aged people to appear?

she doesn't look 9 in her "true form" ^^.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
North American moé fans in general might not be underserved, but my own sub-sub-sub niche, which is non-romance, non-harem slice-of-life moé, is less well-served than moé in general; while I'm sure an announcement about K-On!'s release (presumably from Bandai Entertainment) is imminent, I don't see any signs for domestic physical releases of some other non-romance, non-harem slice-of-life moé shows I'd buy in a heartbeat, like Minami-ke and Sora no Manimani, not to mention the Strawberry Marshmallow OVA's. :shakes fist:

PREACH, BROTHER! Sentai did good with Hidamair Sketch but where's the Minami-ke and hell, where's Manabi?! It's the damn studios! It's the damn studios they love, not the moe. They love KyoAni, not moe. They love bargain-bin cliches wrapped up in a studio with big names and its wretched and RAWR!!! THE SWINE THAT SAYS THEY LOVE MOE, HALF OF THEM dON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT MOE IS!!!!

Seven minutes in, ya bet ya butt I'll be back shortly.

------------

Dear AWO guys, stop yelling. Thankx. You sound like talk radio they way you talk.

[EDIT: Dear Splitter, stop double-posting. Use the Edit button instead. ~Zalis]
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

Quote:

Apparently with fans of Vampire Bund, they expect them to appear like something they can diddle themselves to. That being the reason they made her 9.

*pukes in a bucket*

I expect them to wear clothes.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're the one who hasn't watched it. That or you're a first-class snob.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Dear AWO guys, stop yelling. Thankx. You sound like talk radio they way you talk.

They're not yelling. There's just heavy, HEAVY compression applied to their voices (exactly like talk radio, actually), and it makes them sound all weird.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're the one who hasn't watched it. That or you're a first-class snob.

the still frame slide show of stain glass windows and blank red frames has nice production values?

eh, maybe I am just a snob
VIPPER.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Vampire Bund is by Shinbou-kantoku, which by default makes it art.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Is anyone suspicious that Funimation did this as a marketing stunt? "OH hey, guyz, we're going to censor an anime because it's not fit for you to see ..." *raaaage* "Ha ha ... jk, it won't be censored!"

Result: a lot of people who wouldn't have been interested otherwise will check it out (i.e. buy it) - I am one of these people. If they don't edit the DVD release, then I'll buy it.

But before this whole "censoring" thing ... I had never heard of the show and probably wouldn't have even noticed it's release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15