• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robot Week - Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:53 pm Reply with quote
i wonder if testing shows like evangelion and nadesico during the toonami block is a good idea. i'm sure that once people get a taste, they will want more of those shows-- but can toonami really deliver them? and do we really want evangelion on tv if it means it has to be edited like the dragon ball series? maybe it would've been wiser to do a giant robot week on adult swim, although that time slot seems to be running over with programs; shows as mature and intelligent as those selected for giant robot week would probably fare better there, though. maybe toonami's ratings needed a boost or something.
kira kira
saturn
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:09 am Reply with quote
Evangelion will last two episodes and only two episodes. It CAN'T run any longer than that, because Eva quickly diverges into something more violent and disturbing than what occurs in those first few episodes, which, admittedly, would be fine for Toonami viewing.

And isn't Evangelion one of ADV's launch programs for The Anime Network?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nitro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:26 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine EVA on toonami. I think Vandread would be a better choice cause it doesn't get to bad. Jura may have to be restricted to late night though Twisted Evil
I realy hope that Nadesico gets aired in full. Its a great show and I would save some money on renting the DVD's Very Happy
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah...Eva is on The Anime Network. So is Dai-Guard.

I have no idea if they'll show the first two eps or just clips from the show. I guess this will be one of the things we just have to wait until it airs and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:50 am Reply with quote
This is going to be very interesting indeed. ALthough I'm sure if they do decide to run Eva all the way through, it's going to be hacked to pieces. Especially since CN has problems with "religious references" and "God" in shows. Well, on the bright side, all those folks who haven't seen Eva yet will get a free preview.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:58 am Reply with quote
They're not going to show all of Eva. The debate is whether it's two full episodes (Could be the first two....) or clips from the series. Kinda like an overview or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:25 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
i wonder if testing shows like evangelion and nadesico during the toonami block is a good idea. i'm sure that once people get a taste, they will want more of those shows-- but can toonami really deliver them?

I think that the point. Give them a teaser and they ask for more. More being in the form of AN and the ever popular DVDs. Basically, $. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen all of eva but from what I did see (the first dvd) there was some stuff having some religious symbols or words and what not. like the the "Angels" and the fire cross when the angels smash on the ground. do you think they will be edited or are they not in the first two episodes?
Magister_L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:01 pm Reply with quote
if poeple saw eps after 1 & 2 some hippie mothers will go berserk and start protesting to take off evangelion because there's too much "violence."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:29 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
do you think they will be edited or are they not in the first two episodes?

there's an edited version of Eva that's already aired on CN in .au ... although it airs at 10:30pm.

i wonder if we could get someone from .au here to describe the edits made in their broadcast. it'd probably give us a good idea as to what to expect for Eva during robot week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:48 pm Reply with quote
*ponder* I just realized something....I dunno if I'm just looking too into it or what. But the schedule that is going around now for Robot Week shows the exact same number of episodes of each show that is showing on The Anime Network....2 episodes of Eva, 3 of Nadesico, 2 of Dai-Guard.

I dunno...it just seems weird to me that ADV is putting 3 of its Anime Network debut shows on CN without having some sort of agenda behind it. Just because The Anime Network is only in Philadelphia right now doesn't mean it won't be moving to other markets soon.

OK...now I know I'm thinking about this too much Wink
skullone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The most amusing bit is when they said that "they want to bring the finest" to the fans... And they bring on Robotech! HA!
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:26 pm Reply with quote
*Cocks his gun.* What was that? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Robotech is being used as filler. They've got 3 shows from ADV and need a fourth, it was either Robotech or Voltron, since the first 3 eps of Voltron are basicly hunting for the lions they went with the more action oriented Robotech. They'll probably be using Voltron in their lineup again eventually when the comic comes out, who knows. Hmm, I wonder which Gigantor they go with, I'm guessing the B/W since it's only being shown as segments, but the second series would have more appeal, was the third series ever shown?

I'm looking forward to this even though it's just Dai-Guard that I haven't seen.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:22 am Reply with quote
Don't doubt.

FOUR ADV FILMS TITLES TO BE FEATURED IN CARTOON NETWORK'S GIANT ROBOT WEEK ON AIR MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24 THROUGH FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 28

HOUSTON, January 29, 2003-Episodes from four ADV Films titles-Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dai-Guard, Martian Successor Nadesico and the Harmony Gold production Robotech-will be featured as part of Cartoon Network's first-ever Giant Robot Week, to air Monday, Feb. 24 through Friday, Feb. 28, 2003. Giant Robot Week, on the air 4-5 p.m. during the Toonami afternoon action-adventure block, celebrates the "giant fighting robot" anime genre.

In the press release announcing Giant Robot Week, Cartoon Network noted the quality of the selected ADV Films titles, and the fact that Giant Robot Week will mark the first-ever appearance of Dai-Guard and Martian Successor Nadesico on national television.

Robotech.com:

A note of interest to hard-core Robotech fans: one of the episodes to be aired is slightly different from its original form as seen on the Robotech DVDs!

Any thoughts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4