• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, Tears to Tiara Get Dubs

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've shared my idea a while ago of having Johnny Yong Bosch voicing Tomoya Okazaki for the CLANNAD dub in Mania.com anime/manga forums. Needless to say, the response was very harsh from other people (particularly when I shared other anime role ideas for this voice actor). I was wondering what you guys think of having JYB voicing Tomoya Okazaki. I mean, he did work in some Texan dubs in the past, so I think it's legit.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Okay, I've shared my idea a while ago of having Johnny Yong Bosch voicing Tomoya Okazaki for the CLANNAD dub in Mania.com anime/manga forums. Needless to say, the response was very harsh from other people (particularly when I shared other anime role ideas for this voice actor). I was wondering what you guys think of having JYB voicing Tomoya Okazaki. I mean, he did work in some Texan dubs in the past, so I think it's legit.

Personally, I wouldn't mind JYB voicing Tomoya. However, my first thought was Chris Patton. Most likely because of his work in Kanon.

I'm sorry that I'm foggy on the character names, but Tomoya's crazy womanizing sidekick just screams Greg Ayres to me. I just don't know how Greg is doing after his health problems.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind JYB voicing Tomoya. However, my first thought was Chris Patton. Most likely because of his work in Kanon.

I'm sorry that I'm foggy on the character names, but Tomoya's crazy womanizing sidekick just screams Greg Ayres to me. I just don't know how Greg is doing after his health problems.

Greg Ayers is doing fantasic! Now 40 years old, he's lost over 30 pounds, he exercises and works out daily,quit smoking indefinelty and watches his eating habits very caefully. Ayers has also been very busy and actaully has been working on several dubs at Seraprhim.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
In a footnote from Sentai: "Now shut the hell up!"
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Plus, in general the employees of Anime Network, Sentai, and Seraphim are pretty optimistic this year. That's something they really haven't been since the early days of ADV's Sojitz deal. If you are employed by a company that is having cash flow issues and is struggling, you don't tend to be optimistic.

Lastly, I've seen the sales numbers on a few of these titles at some B&M retailers, and you would be amazed how well some of them did. In fact, some of Sentai's subbed titles have outsold dubbed sets from other companies.

In April of 2008 at Tekkoshocon, when Matt Greenfield made comments about "consolidation in the industry" and "certain companies taking over others libraries", I could easily tell he was not in high spirits. Though I had no idea what was to come later that year. However, it seems to be a complete 180 from that time, and in a companies as small as Sentai, Section 23, or Anime Network, then they are issues, they become known pretty quickly and people start to worry.

Sentai has also been working on these dubs for quite some time, and they've been taking their time with them. The fact that many Houston VA's were back at work for them was one of the worst kept secrets in anime. If they were really doing this as one last ditch effort, I imagine they would have rushed them a bit more, in case they run out of money in the mean time.

"Plus, in general the employees of Anime Network, Sentai, and Seraphim are pretty optimistic this year."
-- how do you know that?

"The fact that many Houston VA's were back at work for them was one of the worst kept secrets in anime." -- I hadn't heard that, but I don't know where to look (and haven't been to a major convention since May of last year)...how do you know they were back at work?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
"The fact that many Houston VA's were back at work for them was one of the worst kept secrets in anime." -- I hadn't heard that, but I don't know where to look (and haven't been to a major convention since May of last year)...how do you know they were back at work?

There had been some teasing for new dubs at last year's cons that Matt Greenfield attended and then there was Warner Home Video leaking information during the Halo Legends cast announcement about Emily Neves's roles in Clannad & Legend Of The Dark King which pretty much confirmed that those two got dubbed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Plus, in general the employees of Anime Network, Sentai, and Seraphim are pretty optimistic this year. That's something they really haven't been since the early days of ADV's Sojitz deal. If you are employed by a company that is having cash flow issues and is struggling, you don't tend to be optimistic.

Lastly, I've seen the sales numbers on a few of these titles at some B&M retailers, and you would be amazed how well some of them did. In fact, some of Sentai's subbed titles have outsold dubbed sets from other companies.

In April of 2008 at Tekkoshocon, when Matt Greenfield made comments about "consolidation in the industry" and "certain companies taking over others libraries", I could easily tell he was not in high spirits. Though I had no idea what was to come later that year. However, it seems to be a complete 180 from that time, and in a companies as small as Sentai, Section 23, or Anime Network, then they are issues, they become known pretty quickly and people start to worry.

Sentai has also been working on these dubs for quite some time, and they've been taking their time with them. The fact that many Houston VA's were back at work for them was one of the worst kept secrets in anime. If they were really doing this as one last ditch effort, I imagine they would have rushed them a bit more, in case they run out of money in the mean time.

"Plus, in general the employees of Anime Network, Sentai, and Seraphim are pretty optimistic this year."
-- how do you know that?

Well, both Greg Ayres and Matt Greenfield mentioned working on "two shows". Also, another ADV regular made some posts on their myspace and facebook pages with mention to "some voice work in Houston..wink, wink".

Also, I have some sources of my own, that I can not divulge. Wink I knew they were dubbing some shows, I just had no idea how many, or which ones were getting the second look. There were at least two on the list that really surprised me, namely Dark King and Ghost Hound.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Zac wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Also, don't forget a few weeks ago, that both Zac and Justin claimed that nobody was buying Clannad, which is clearly not true, unless Anime Corner, Right Stuf, and Best Buy's numbers are all lies...

...when did we claim nobody was buying Clannad?

I remember you guys making a sarcastic comment regarding Clannad's sales at rightstuf and joking about how it wasn't available for sale anywhere else (implying that it sucks and nobody wants it).

Wink

Well if you remember it so well why not give us a link, or copy it and show us some proof sparky. Wink

It was during the December ANNCast. I didn't realize it had been that long ago.

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-10

My impression of that part of the conversation was that Zac and Justin assumed it wasn't selling well and where corrected to the contray by someone with actual numbers.

Also, I ended up listening to the whole thing again. Gawd, Anncast is awesome.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Like it or not, ANNcast is one of our best sources of analysis; I watch primarily for their good insights into the industry, industry news and such; and much of the time I agree with their other assessments; though I want to stress that "look, there's a new generation of fans now and what might be too old or too cute for you to enjoy, they do, and they drive the sales" etc.

Quote:

Well, both Greg Ayres and Matt Greenfield mentioned working on "two shows". Also, another ADV regular made some posts on their myspace and facebook pages with mention to "some voice work in Houston..wink, wink".

I remember hearing that but I forget who it was...I vaguely think it was Spike Spencer but I can't be sure.

I thought it odd that Tiffany Grant isn't appearing at as many cons as she normally does this year; possibly focusing on dubs?

Well I hate Clannad because its moe, but I'm happy for them because I know it will sell well and they need it. Apparently, "Ghost Hound" is "from the guys that brought you Serial Experiments Lain" so that should get some hype (though the ANN review said it's not as good as Lain). How are the other three shows?

Still, Neo-ADV is back and actually making English dubs; I think most are surprised they even managed to stabilize in 2009, much less sort of get back into the game.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I just think it's great that Houston VAs have some anime work again. I know Chris Ayers was doing some Seraphim stuff recently. God, I love that guy!

Also, I agree that ANNCast rocks! So awesome!
Inphy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I like to think of the DVD-upgrading program as "Thank you for believing in us!!"

So.. Thank you for believing in us! Though I suppose I can really only speak for myself.

-Inphy
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Boosh! This is awesome! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13