• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sands of Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Stretch24 wrote:

Sands of Destruction is a fun show--it just could have been much more fun if a little additional effort had been put into it.

I agree with the rest of your post regarding Sands as well. I have not played the game, so I do not know if there was more story to flesh out certain characters and action, but it seemed like the opportunity was there waiting for the taking.
So many unexplained questions that kept popping up. Why did the Destruction committee go to the land of whatever (Autumn, Summer, etc.)? Why when they met up with the Preservation committee did the Preservation committee reply, "We thought you might come here.". I sure as heck did not know why they visited the areas they visited.

It certainly felt as if there were 24 episodes of material that under the proper helm could have been excellent. As it was, it felt like "This anime is built to sell a game. Why bother giving it a great effort. Here are the high points.....".
In the what are you watching thread, I think I mentioned the term phoning it in.

This was a wasted opportunity in my view. No it would not have been original by any stretch, but with a little effort, it would have told a similar story in an exceptional manor. What we ended up with was a decent diversion.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Gencon, anyone?

Had to look this up (gaming?!?). August.

I'm betting those wearing Storm Trooper outfits are going to be really, really hot.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

...seriously, Erin, this is the kind of thing that got you into anime in the first place??? Or is that a reference to things that happen later?

I've only watched the first episode, but I can kind of see where she's coming from. Rin feels a lot like an OAV from the late 80's to early 90's - violent, lots of nudity, and just strange. Judging from the first episode, it definitely feels different than most anime out right now. That might change later though.
I completely understand your point of view about the show being misogynistic, as it seems to enjoy acting out sexual violence upon Rin.
Myself, I didn't find the show offensive in the slightest. Since I'm a horror movie junkie, it didn't strike me as being that violent, and since spoiler[Rin can't die] the violence against her didn't seem so bad. I realize that's a bad excuse though, as spoiler[she can still feel pain], therefore, the violence isn't okay at all.
But...my ideas of offensive and unoffensive are warped. I'm the type of girl that will get offended by stuff like the Twilight novels (remember girls, without a boyfriend, your life is a black hole!) or hip-hop lyrics. Something like Rin, I don't even bat an eye.

Anyway, Rin seems like an older anime, where you watch it for the boobs, and blood. It's definitely not for everyone, but there are some weirdos out there (like me) who enjoy that kind of thing.

I haven't seen that many horror/thriller movies, but I hold a similar view. To me RIN isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people say it is.

Then again, out of curiosity I saw some of Night Shift Nurses... I don't think anything but live action can faze me after watching that...

Although the plot for RIN is weird and a little confusing (I read about it on wikipedia before watching, but got the plot after actually watching it) I enjoyed it over all. Once I get the money I'm buying it. Especially since the box is treated with some lotion to make it feel weird.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I swear, I won't post anymore, I'll leave you all to your creepy, disturbing, I-would-be-afraid-to-date-you fun, but this last thing:
erinfinnegan wrote:
It's erotic, but at least it starts to approach consensual sex...?

Because it's consensual if she's being brain-washed by pheromones into a dribbling idiot?
Quote:
Like a horror movie, Rin is set up to make you squeamish. I've never been inclined to watch a Saw movie, but I assume you want to turn away from the screen at times (or most of the time). If that is what the director intended, and it made you feel that way, then it was successful.

That doesn't necessarily make it good. See the Tomatometers for all those Saw movies...And again, this didn't make me squeamish so much as morally horrified that something this vile ever got made, that people would want to watch something this sadistic.
Quote:
I'm sure Czes is already the subject of many ero guro doujinshi.

Probably, but what does that have anything to do with anything? The series itself doesn't luxuriate in his torture, nor fetishize him. You can't stop fans from making what they want of something. Rin, on the other hand, does it in canon. That's a BIG DIFFERENCE.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
Gencon, anyone?

Had to look this up (gaming?!?). August.

I'm betting those wearing Storm Trooper outfits are going to be really, really hot.

PJ if you look deeper, while yes Gencon is a gaming convention first and foremost it also does comics and anime (with anime being it's own category of events, think gaming convention with anime on the side.)

Last year I saw Vic Mignogna for a Q&A session.

(Anime questions where meh, His Star Trek and directing/music questions, interesting.)

I didn't get his free CD he was handing out although I purchased and got an autograph of one of his other music cd ventures.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

erinfinnegan wrote:

Because it's consensual if she's being brain-washed by pheromones into a dribbling idiot?

This is what happens when you rant about something that you haven't seen. spoiler[While the Angels remain a constant threat looming over the Immortals in general, Episode 2 is the last time that Rin falls victim to one in such a fashion. Her next major encounter with the Angels involves her actually fighting off her little handicap to take out several. She does, however, engage in consensual sex with one of her former lovers. In fact, the show is hardly a rape fest. Most on-screen sex in the show is consensual or somewhat reluctant ala the Informants and their 'payment', and Rin's most brutal maiming is a complete freak accident that serves to take her out of commission for a couple decades.]

The violence and sexual abuse, while excessive, isn't without reason. spoiler[Quite a bit of it is deliberately orchestrated behind the scenes by the sadistic main antagonist, especially towards the end.]

While I doubt this will change your mind, and I'm not trying to, I just thought it prudent to clear a few things up.

Oh, and:

vashfanatic wrote:
I swear, I won't post anymore, I'll leave you all to your creepy, disturbing, I-would-be-afraid-to-date-you fun....

Thank you, but getting my jollies off is hardly the reason I watched and enjoyed the show.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see RIN get a more positive review here; it's one of the better newer shows I've seen. I'd love to be able to hang out with Heavy Metal fans--that was my favorite cartoon of the 80s(my freinds and I used to constantly quote lines from the movie, especially the "hmmm big" scene) and remains one of my favorite cartoons today. The magazine was great in the 70s and early 80s but gradually went downhill(I wish I still had mine.)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
This is what happens when you rant about something that you haven't seen. spoiler[While the Angels remain a constant threat looming over the Immortals in general, Episode 2 is the last time that Rin falls victim to one in such a fashion. Her next major encounter with the Angels involves her actually fighting off her little handicap to take out several. She does, however, engage in consensual sex with one of her former lovers. In fact, the show is hardly a rape fest. Most on-screen sex in the show is consensual or somewhat reluctant ala the Informants and their 'payment', and Rin's most brutal maiming is a complete freak accident that serves to take her out of commission for a couple decades.]

Since I had only discussed the first two episodes, I perhaps poorly assumed that this was all she was referring to. If she meant "later on," then I apologize. Still, in the first two episodes, I found her sexual encounters to be universally distasteful; if it's different in later episodes, then I suppose that's commendable...? After all, Berserk had some (rather beautiful) consensual scenes in spite of quite a few other rapes.
Quote:
The violence and sexual abuse, while excessive, isn't without reason. spoiler[Quite a bit of it is deliberately orchestrated behind the scenes by the sadistic main antagonist, especially towards the end.]

I really don't find that having the entire plot be centered around the orchestration of the lead's torture and degradation to be appealing. Maybe you do, that's swell, which brings me too...
Quote:
Thank you, but getting my jollies off is hardly the reason I watched and enjoyed the show.

Yeah, I realized afterward that was a bad choice of words that implied the only reason people would watch this was because they had sadistic tendencies. What I meant by it was that I feel a real values dissonance between myself and a lot of this is show's defenders. There's this disconnect in what we think is entertaining versus disgusting, and I think it would make for a lot of... awkwardness, but on an emotional and moral level, not on a sexual one.

But anyway, now I'm quitting. There really is no point in me arguing this, I think it does come down to different perspectives on how violence and sex ought to be used in telling a story.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
PJ if you look deeper, while yes Gencon is a gaming convention first and foremost it also does comics and anime (with anime being it's own category of events, think gaming convention with anime on the side.)

I've never been to GenCon here, though I know it's been held many times. However, if Erin does show up, you can bet I'll be waiting in line to talk to her. I am dying to know what this girls thinks. I've mellowed on reading her reviews, but inside, I'm bashing my head against a brick wall trying to understand. Smile

Should be fun. Hey, maybe you and I can sit and have a chat as well!

I don't need security, do I? Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Except that frankly it was depicted (at least at the end of episode 2) as somehow erotic.

Do you really believe that? Consensual as in the time Mimi has no alternative to finding out what happened to Rin besides surrendering her body (like extortion, but with sex instead of money)? Or consensual as in the times the angels get close to the immortals and the women lose their minds so that they want the sex because they are no longer in control of their own minds? Or consensual as in the VR program that was programmed to be a whore?

KoujiTamino wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

erinfinnegan wrote:

Um, that doesn't actually deny the allegation of non-consensual sex. Heck, that she TRIES to fight the brain-washing effect is evidence that it is rape. Also, Rin isn't the only one to succumb to the effect. Also, extortion rape is still rape. If the victim consents to sex because the rapist has a gun or a knife, you wouldn't call that consensual, would you? Similarly, the informant essentially said you'll never see your friend again unless you have sex for my amusement, despite that you really don't want to.

Quote:
The violence and sexual abuse, while excessive, isn't without reason.

For arousal.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My whole life is a lie. "Erin" means "Ireland" in Gaelic, and "Finnegan" is the most Irish-sounding last name you can get (short of "O'Malley"). That means my name is basically "Ireland Finnegan". By all rights I should be a leprechaun. In actuality, I am only one eighth Irish.

Well, my last name is Belgian and I'm a little over a quarter Belgian so I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

Glass Mask sounds like something I'd enjoy but I think I'll wait and see if Sentai reissues this with corrected subtitles before I buy. I love old school shojo designs and I love what little I've read of Swan.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
PJ if you look deeper, while yes Gencon is a gaming convention first and foremost it also does comics and anime ...

...However, if Erin does show up, you can bet I'll be waiting in line to talk to her. I am dying to know what this girls thinks. I've mellowed on reading her reviews, but inside, I'm bashing my head against a brick wall trying to understand. Smile

You sound like my brother trying to understand my taste in music! (There is no way to guess which bands I hate because of ex-boyfriends.)

Indiana is a long way away, but if I'm invited as a guest, perhaps because of my podcast (I've been a guest before!), or I'm asked to cover the con for work (with travel paid) then I would go. (Especially if my husband can also go.)

vashfanatic wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:
This is what happens when you rant about something that you haven't seen.

Since I had only discussed the first two episodes, I perhaps poorly assumed that this was all she was referring to. If she meant "later on," then I apologize. Still, in the first two episodes, I found her sexual encounters to be universally distasteful; if it's different in later episodes, then I suppose that's commendable...? After all, Berserk had some (rather beautiful) consensual scenes in spite of quite a few other rapes.

This brings up an interesting point. Can a show redeem itself? I also love Berserk (my husband loves it more), and we marathoned it for our friends. Everyone was really into it, and everyone really loved Casca... until the final DVD. Then everyone freaked out and hated the show and my husband was banned from throwing anime marathons.

What if Casca got raped in the first episode? spoiler[And you know I'm not talking about raped once - she gets raped by like, all the demons in hell.] Could the show be redeemed by being excellent later on? Would you have stopped watching it? I probably wouldn't have watched the rest.

Rin is certainly no Berserk, but it basically has all the horribleness in the first two episodes. People who only like the first two episodes... are sort of like people who only like the last DVD volume of Berserk.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

vashfanatic wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:
This is what happens when you rant about something that you haven't seen.

This brings up an interesting point. Can a show redeem itself? I also love Berserk (my husband loves it more), and we marathoned it for our friends. Everyone was really into it, and everyone really loved Casca... until the final DVD. Then everyone freaked out and hated the show and my husband was banned from throwing anime marathons.

What if Casca got raped in the first episode? spoiler[And you know I'm not talking about raped once - she gets raped by like, all the demons in hell.] Could the show be redeemed by being excellent later on? Would you have stopped watching it? I probably wouldn't have watched the rest.

Rin is certainly no Berserk, but it basically has all the horribleness in the first two episodes. People who only like the first two episodes... are sort of like people who only like the last DVD volume of Berserk.

i think the big line in the sand here is purpose. The last DVD of Berserk actually serves the plot. i think a lot of what people are complaining about is that those scenes actually serve some kind of point; while the scenes in Rin, don't. and lets not forget the quality of the writing in Berserk is miles above Rin, which almost excuses its tendency to display the same content(often times its actually much worse).

anyway, i sort of ironically enjoyed Rin, and wish there was more like it. because unlike most of the moe or harem stuff at least this is watchable, if only to satisfy my morbid curiosity.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
So when you say you "sort of ironically" like Rin, did you like it, or not? Are you ashamed to say you liked it on any level?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
So when you say you "sort of ironically" like Rin, did you like it, or not? Are you ashamed to say you liked it on any level?

ummm no? if i was ashamed to say i liked it, why would i say i liked it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5