• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sands of Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Well you sort of ironically like it, so does that mean that you sort of actually like it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Well you sort of ironically like it, so does that mean that you sort of actually like it?

it means I ironically like it
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Trolling perhaps?

Anyway, a lot of the people who defend Rin seem to always say things along the lines of "It's really not that bad...", which just means to me "It's really not that good." Razz

So I'll skip it. (Besides, I spend enough money on my hobby, anyway. It is kind of a relief that Funimation has been saving me spending on their shows so I can afford all the stuff Sentai is releasing lately.)
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
PJ if you look deeper, while yes Gencon is a gaming convention first and foremost it also does comics and anime (with anime being it's own category of events, think gaming convention with anime on the side.)

I've never been to GenCon here, though I know it's been held many times. However, if Erin does show up, you can bet I'll be waiting in line to talk to her. I am dying to know what this girls thinks. I've mellowed on reading her reviews, but inside, I'm bashing my head against a brick wall trying to understand. Smile

Should be fun. Hey, maybe you and I can sit and have a chat as well!

I don't need security, do I? Wink

Perhaps... would need to check the finances though (last year I spent about $400 worth of merchandise and that's before going into any of the events they do have.... in one day.)
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Um, that doesn't actually deny the allegation of non-consensual sex. Heck, that she TRIES to fight the brain-washing effect is evidence that it is rape.

...Er, I have no idea what you're talking about here. I never denied that there was no non-consensual sex in the series, but there are also scenes where it clearly is consensual. If you're talking about Rin's encounters with the Angels, she never gives in without a fight, trying to kill the thing the entire time. When she supposedly gives in completely, she tricks the Angel by backing it up into a broken tree branch, impaling and killing it. In her second major encounter with several Angels, she kills most of them before getting ambushed by Laura. Even then, she never even comes close to being raped in this scene.

The consensual scenes that I'm referring to are completely different. And yes, bringing up the informants wasn't the best choice of example.

Anyway, you're free to your opinion, but it's not one I share. I feel absolutely no 'guilt' in liking the show. As for arousal, the scenes are too brief for that purpose. The mere existence of these incidents are for shock value. However, they're so frequent across the entire series that it gets kind of desensitizing if watching the episodes in short succession. Interestingly enough, the scenes of consensual sex appear to be the longest.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering that if people claim to like something ironically if that can be quantified in a score or a review of any sort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
triangle_man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
There are two kinds of anime fans: Those who put all their anime together, separate from the rest of their collection, and those who don't.

Oh, and these shelves do have one Ghibli flick: My Neighbors The Yamadas. Decent enough, but if I could only have one, it wouldn't be Yamadas.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Glass Mask sounds like something I'd enjoy but I think I'll wait and see if Sentai reissues this with corrected subtitles before I buy.

Corrected how? Is there something wrong with the subtitles on the DVD release or on the streaming version?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Myself, I didn't find the show offensive in the slightest. Since I'm a horror movie junkie, it didn't strike me as being that violent, and since spoiler[Rin can't die] the violence against her didn't seem so bad. I realize that's a bad excuse though, as spoiler[she can still feel pain], therefore, the violence isn't okay at all.
This is what I would consider hell to be like. This title will not cross my threshold. (shudder)
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
There's not that much violence in Rin. True, it's not for kids, but it's not like it was made for sadists.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
There's not that much violence in Rin. True, it's not for kids, but it's not like it was made for sadists.

this. as i mentioned earlier berserk is much,much worse in terms of content, yet i never see anyone complain about it.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I was actually a little disappointed, after hearing everyone going on about how gruesome it was. I was expecting a grisly blood bath, like End of Evangelion, or a French horror movie (those people can make a creepy movie) and instead got...a small smattering of blood.
Rin herself is really cool though, and makes the show fun to watch.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
There are two kinds of anime fans: Those who put all their anime together, separate from the rest of their collection, and those who don't.

Oh, and these shelves do have one Ghibli flick: My Neighbors The Yamadas. Decent enough, but if I could only have one, it wouldn't be Yamadas.

I took shots of those shelves a couple of months ago, and after trimming some of the fat, a few being 300, Mega Man X8, X-Men and upgrading Casablanca, Babel and others to Blu-Ray, I feel a little embarassed about it now. I should have at least not acted so snooty and made clear that I was going by my own standards of quality.
Still, Spirited Away has been on that shelf for a long while if you look a little harder in the photo.

Rin doesn't seem very tasteful from I what I have read. Have any alternative suggestions that you can spare? (Again, I really regret selling my DVD of Paprika and not immediately replacing it with it's Blu-ray. Not to mention my dragging my feet on The Sky Crawlers and Persepolis.)
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:
Glass Mask sounds like something I'd enjoy but I think I'll wait and see if Sentai reissues this with corrected subtitles before I buy.

Corrected how? Is there something wrong with the subtitles on the DVD release or on the streaming version?

The subtitles have spelling errors. Someone else in the Clannad dub thread said that Sentai stated that any reissues would have problems looked over which I assume means correcting any subtitle errors.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Trolling perhaps?

Anyway, a lot of the people who defend Rin seem to always say things along the lines of "It's really not that bad...", which just means to me "It's really not that good." Razz

So I'll skip it. (Besides, I spend enough money on my hobby, anyway. It is kind of a relief that Funimation has been saving me spending on their shows so I can afford all the stuff Sentai is releasing lately.)

Rin was a good show. It's wasn't mind blowing, but it's worth checking out because it's so different then anything else on the market today It's such a throwback to the old ultraviolent OVA's and Movies that how can you hate it? It's plot is kinda dumb at times, but at other times quite smart in how it does all the time skips. But it's not "mature" show, in a storytelling anyway, but it is sexed up and violent. The characters are interesting though. I'd compare it to Gantz, only Gantz had some interesting mesages and themes, while this kinda didn't seem to have a point. But I didn't mind that too much Wink . It could have been better, sure, but it's still worth a few watches. Plus it's SHORT.

Also I own this figure. And it's amazing Smile .

Anyway great reviews this week Erin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5