• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sebastian the Combat Butler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Sebastian isn't as young as he looks.
There's a ref to something a century ago in one of his lines as I recall, but I'd have to go back over the chapters in Yen Plus.

I seem to recall some English language stories where the butler is more than he seems, so the issue is reality vs literature.

Yes, he is a great deal older than he appears - that was more a butler-manga-in-general complaint. And yes, there are stories originating in English-speaking countries with SuperButlers, and...yes, they annoy me too. Smile It's really the straight-up butler fetishism of "Black Butler" in particular that bothers and annoys me. He's ultra-capable, he appears young and hot, the rest of the staff drools over him, he saves his master's behind in nearly every episode - it's as if he's stepped out of a fangirl's butler cafe or doujinshi.

Why does this bother me so much in this particular story? I don't know - maybe I haven't read enough in the butler sub-genre. As I said before, perhaps it's less the story and more all those Victorian lit classes. Whatever the reason, it's my least favorite series in a long time.

/complaining rambling
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
As I said before, perhaps it's less the story and more all those Victorian lit classes.

As a fellow Victoriaphile, I can definitely agree that this series doesn't make any effort to convey historical accuracy. (Nintendo DS consoles? Cell phones?)

However, that didn't bother me at all. Probably because I went into it already knowing that the focus of the series was more on the demonic contract and quest for revenge than it was the setting.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Actually, there's more to support the Sebastian/Ciel relationship in Black Butler than in your typical shonen "slash" pairing, owing much to the demon-contractor dynamic they share. I wouldn't let that deter you, though. It's really more fascinating than it is fetishy.

Really?
I'm one who sees gay written all over Light Yagami (maybe bi, but I say gay between his attitude/treatment of females & the way he only comes alive in his battles with guys) & I'm sorry, but it's also all over Aizen/Gin.
Doesn't Sebastian make some sort of comment on the subject to Grell? Grell is absolutely on that side of the fence, but he's also a psychoboy (who do run to being gay, don't they? Stereotyping?)
However, while there are places it can be inserted (the author's one who does yaoi under a different name-Yanao Rock), but Minekura, the undertone is there with no solid link yet. In fact, Ciel seems fond of torturing Sebastian, testing his limits.
Perhaps because I see the contract as being pretty much the same as 12 Kingdoms (The kirin captured the demon which then submits to the kirin, serving & protecting the kirin on the promise that upon the kirin's death, the demon gets to eat the body of the kirin, gaining power. Some kirin like En province's live quite long lives meaning those demons are waiting a long time for that reward) I don't really see the sexual connotation as all that great.
I do love Sebastian's kitty fetish. I thought it was going to just be the one cat, but it is kitty love.

Agent-
I know what you mean about 12 K-I got the 4th one 2 days ago & probably will tackle it tonight (over 600 pages, though).

The Ripper stuff-I watch whatever's on whenever I come across it. History Channel had an ep on Mysteryquest on it. There was a recent special where someone's latest pet suspect is an undertaker assistant who worked some of the victims which would give him a knowledge of anatomy. My sister read a comment once that all these Ripper fanatics probably on the other side first question they ask is "Who was Jack the Ripper" & it probably turns out to be no one anyone suspected so they'll all be disappointed. Right now it's a giant mystery & short of finding a diary or letter where someone flat out admits to being Jack, there will never be an answer.

Quote:
It's really the straight-up butler fetishism of "Black Butler" in particular that bothers and annoys me. He's ultra-capable, he appears young and hot, the rest of the staff drools over him, he saves his master's behind in nearly every episode - it's as if he's stepped out of a fangirl's butler cafe or doujinshi.

But he has to save his master. It's the binding contract. Look at the incident at the end of the 1st vol. where Ciel berates him for fooling around. While he is not Alucard overpowered, he IS pretty vastly above normal humans so it is pretty evident not only in this volume, but future stories that he IS playing a bit, trying to make things interesting (like Inigo Montoya in Princess Bride saying he had to make the fight interesting). He IS pretty confident in his abilities so that he IS somewhat shocked at the effort he has to put out against Grell. The whole point of this aspect of the story is Sebastian being a demon of a butler is only Ciel & Sebastian are party to the joke amongst the main cast.
The rest of the staff are pets Ciel's picked up Sebastian tries to make useful, but they really are little better than Tanaka being told to go have a glass of tea. Each actually has a decent skill, but it's also their flaws. (Doesn't the one dude-the cook-seem just a step or 2 removed from Tim Allen's show-more power? How many projects did that character ruin using too much power? The gardener is just freakishly strong. If the maid would accept a new set of glasses, she'd be fine). All were outcast for one reason or another & Ciel showed them kindness they'd never been shown so like lost puppies, they attached themselves to him.
kailegh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Plus, knowing that the shotacon shipping Black Butler fans are just as ligit in canon as the yaoi NaruSasu shipping fans of Naruto {sorry, NaruSasu fans, Jump will never let Kishi make that ship canon} really helps solidify my decision to give Black Butler a bigger chance! Thanks again!

Actually, there's more to support the Sebastian/Ciel relationship in Black Butler than in your typical shonen "slash" pairing, owing much to the demon-contractor dynamic they share. I wouldn't let that deter you, though. It's really more fascinating than it is fetishy.

It’s true, there’s many different points where Sebastian's actions seem almost affectionate. Like when he does more than is necessary as far as the contract requirements go & I don’t mean the extravagant ways he fulfills tasks. I'm talking about situations when he acts much nicer than you would expect him to be, in a way that seems genuine… special emphasis on the word “seems”. I don’t think anyone knows what’s really going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2