Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Updates on Scheduled Releases


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"negative was in terrible shape."


What the hell does that even mean....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inu-liger



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Quote:
"negative was in terrible shape."


What the hell does that even mean....


As in film 'negatives': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_negative
(See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_stock )

In terms of movies or other productions shot on/printed to film, negatives are usually the best source in terms of quality. And if the Kite negatives are in "terrible shape", that could mean anything from say lots of scratches and dirt, to physical damage, or other forms of damage as explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_stock#Deterioration

To say the least, depending on the type of damage MB are dealing with, restoration could take a long time and the budget required for that may even put a complete halt to any new releases intended to be sourced from the negatives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
If they don't have the funds to put out anything, they should at least sublicense to people who do.


Well, either that or the fine folks at AoA should lower the level in their money pool long enough to buy them out of their misery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7452
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
inu-liger wrote:
In terms of movies or other productions shot on/printed to film, negatives are usually the best source in terms of quality. And if the Kite negatives are in "terrible shape", that could mean anything from say lots of scratches and dirt, to physical damage, or other forms of damage as explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_stock#Deterioration

Perhaps someone used the film can as an ashtray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4039
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
2013 will be the year they go down.


In my eyes they've already died, they just haven't realised it yet.

I will miss them, but this has been a long time coming and it will be nice to finally put them to rest.


well i for one hope fate will give MB a saving grace.

cause if not the entire licensing will be only viz and funimation ( at least on the english dub side ) With sentai/section 23 only do dubs to series that sell well. not a good trade off if you ask me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
@ jr0904 - if you are looking for distribs that release hybrid titles, your hopes for MB to continue on are somewhat misplaced. The company has failed to release a single new title in 2012, hybrid or otherwise. All of its releases this year were repackages of old titles that they are recycling. Of the two truly new titles that they announced licenses for this year: Aki Sora and Ai no Kusabi (both of which are OVAs), Ai no Kusabi is slated to be sub-only and it wouldn't shock me if Aki Sora ultimately is as well - that's assuming the titles actually get released at all, that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2508
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
morisato wrote:
dragon, I never said that they would license the first season, only that it would seem more likely that they would. If anything, it would make sense that Funimation would license the first season, to the anime series as a whole series.

Far as the second season goes, I thought I remembered reading a news article either on ANN or some other anime news site that after ARM had transferred the Ah! My Goddess license to Funimation, and that after they had decided to dissolve its North American operations in the anime business, that Funimation opted to license the anime season from Kodansha and AIC.

Have to bear with me because I'm going on vague information that I briefly recall that was reported on years ago. In any event, I think the reason why AnimEigo and Media Blasters had elected not to renew the license for the Oh My Goddess OVA series and the first season of the anime series is because the licensing costs for Ah! My Goddess is considered a premium property. I do remember that I was corresponding with someone in Media Blasters PR departments regarding their license for Ah! My Goddess and that it was the first time that Media Blasters had shelled out a lot of money for license.

If I recall correctly, it was the most expensive license that Media Blasters had ever shelled out for and it marked the first time that anime fans had started to take real notice of the company. Even Kodansha has trouble of letting the Ah! My Goddess manga series end.


You are correct on most of those points, as I stated, but I you are misunderstanding what I said. Funimation already had the license from ARM. When ARM dissolved, the simply ceased doing work with them and dealt directly with the companies in Japan. In fact, Funi stated they had been dealing directly with the Japanese studios for some time at that point. They didn't acquire new licenses, nor did the licenses restart from that day. They still would have been under the original terms that ARM negotiated, which would mean the license is 6 years old at this point. They didn't receive all brand new licenses with new terms when ARM dissolved. If they had, several series, like Moonlight Mile, would have likely been dropped altogether.

I don't know if AMG was MB's most expensive title ever, but they did say they paid a lot for it and for a while they weren't even sure they would break even on it. ADV also paid quite a lot for season two. As you said, they've always been priced as premium series and that could be another strike against their licensing.

However, I'm willing to bet the title that put Media Blasters on the map for most anime fans was Rorouni Kenshin. It was acquired before AMG, had a TV deal, and it was a better seller for them.

BTW, here is the article I believe you are thinking of. As you can see, it says nothing about Funi gaining new licenses to the ARM series, only that they had been in direct contact with the Japanese since the titles were transferred from ADV.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-10-22/sojitz-dissolution-of-arm-to-not-affect-funimation


Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2508
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
2013 will be the year they go down.


In my eyes they've already died, they just haven't realised it yet.

I will miss them, but this has been a long time coming and it will be nice to finally put them to rest.


well i for one hope fate will give MB a saving grace.

cause if not the entire licensing will be only viz and funimation ( at least on the english dub side ) With sentai/section 23 only do dubs to series that sell well. not a good trade off if you ask me.


Viz and Funimation also only dub titles that are expected to sell well. The difference with them is that they don't even bother with smaller titles that wouldn't support a dub. Wink

Also, as others have pointed out, MB dubs very little anymore and their only new titles scheduled for this year were due to be sub-only. The last series we know they finished dubbing was Bakuman and allegedly they never paid for the rest of it when they dropped the show altogether.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2432
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
2013 will be the year they go down.


In my eyes they've already died, they just haven't realised it yet.

I will miss them, but this has been a long time coming and it will be nice to finally put them to rest.


well i for one hope fate will give MB a saving grace.

cause if not the entire licensing will be only viz and funimation ( at least on the english dub side ) With sentai/section 23 only do dubs to series that sell well. not a good trade off if you ask me.


Viz and Funimation also only dub titles that are expected to sell well. The difference with them is that they don't even bother with smaller titles that wouldn't support a dub. Wink

Also, as others have pointed out, MB dubs very little anymore and their only new titles scheduled for this year were due to be sub-only. The last series we know they finished dubbing was Bakuman and allegedly they never paid for the rest of it when they dropped the show altogether.


Squid Girl season 2 is supposed to be a hybrid release, too. If they ever actually get it out, that is. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2508
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
2013 will be the year they go down.


In my eyes they've already died, they just haven't realised it yet.

I will miss them, but this has been a long time coming and it will be nice to finally put them to rest.


well i for one hope fate will give MB a saving grace.

cause if not the entire licensing will be only viz and funimation ( at least on the english dub side ) With sentai/section 23 only do dubs to series that sell well. not a good trade off if you ask me.


Viz and Funimation also only dub titles that are expected to sell well. The difference with them is that they don't even bother with smaller titles that wouldn't support a dub. Wink

Also, as others have pointed out, MB dubs very little anymore and their only new titles scheduled for this year were due to be sub-only. The last series we know they finished dubbing was Bakuman and allegedly they never paid for the rest of it when they dropped the show altogether.


Squid Girl season 2 is supposed to be a hybrid release, too. If they ever actually get it out, that is. Confused


I never said anything about Squid Girl as it wasn't due to be released this year. It was set for early 2013.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4039
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ jr0904 - if you are looking for distribs that release hybrid titles, your hopes for MB to continue on are somewhat misplaced. The company has failed to release a single new title in 2012, hybrid or otherwise. All of its releases this year were repackages of old titles that they are recycling. Of the two truly new titles that they announced licenses for this year: Aki Sora and Ai no Kusabi (both of which are OVAs), Ai no Kusabi is slated to be sub-only and it wouldn't shock me if Aki Sora ultimately is as well - that's assuming the titles actually get released at all, that is.


Well that would really suck cause i was looking forward to a english version of Aki Sora since i have no problem with that type of storyline and its not all out hentai.Just borderline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group