• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Must have, must see anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not a single mention of Neon Genesis Evangelion? You guys sicken me.

I don't recommend it to anyone because it gets just as much hate if not more, as it does love. Plus I thought it was a severely over-rated title.

As to the topic, if you want to see what anime I think people should see check out my Top Rated list, which contains shows I've seen with only the top two ratings.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty close to locking this thread (and some other mod may just step in and do it) because only a few of the postings have elaborated at all on why the title should be "must have, must see" anime - and listing titles without elaboration is, well, listing, and that isn't allowed around here. Also, "should be obvious" is not acceptable elaboration.

And I'm of the opinion anyway that any "must-see" title must be one which is easily accessible to any fan, even those who might not normally be fans of that genre. A lot of the titles mentioned so far don't fall into that category.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
Tauris wrote:
What are some anime you feel must be watched. Anime you feel that any TRUE anime fan would have seen?

Anime I would include in that list would be:

Akira, for obvious reasons.

Tenchi Muyo because of the interesting characters and for what it did for harem anime.

Escaflowne, I think this one is also pretty obvious.

Cowboy Bebop, Need I say more? If I do, you have some catching up to do.

Full Metal Alchemist, I'm going to put this in the list also because I feel that its a very good show and that it will become a new classic.

I'll continue my list at a later time.
Don't just "continue" the list at a later time; how about filling in some actual reasons why you think these shows are essential, beyond "lol it's self-evident"? Since you've begun with "What are some shows you feel are...", you're implying that these selections are subjective. So don't go antagonizing people who disagree with "You're not a true fan, you have some catching up to do."

Oh, and if anyone's wondering why their posts are deleted, it's probably because you posted a list or one-liner without any explanations.
Tauris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It not really about being a TRUE anime fan. I feel that there are classics out there and they are classics for a reason. The are either well respected, medium changing, or highly praised.

I'm more trying to get to those animes in this list.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Tauris wrote:
Anime you feel that any TRUE anime fan would have seen?

Tauris wrote:
It not really about being a TRUE anime fan.

You said it was. How many shows have you seen in total? Your just listing anime that was popular. Popular does not make it a classic, and popular does not make it good.[/quote]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Tauris wrote:

Akira
Tenchi Muyo
Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist

I haven't seen any of these

Same here. The one I've seen most is Escaflowne; of which I watched a full episode one. Caught a few minutes of Cowboy Bebop and FMA at conventions and on TV. The other two? Not a single bit.

sailorsarah08 wrote:
How many shows have you seen in total?

I'm curious about that too, but our thread starter seems either unable or unwilling to share it with us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
If we go with inspirational, revolutionary or otherwise mainstream smashes within the medium:

Cowboy Bebop: The number of series that have been as fully embraced outside the fandom as within can be counted on one hand. Even if I'm not as into CB as most (Having the ending spoiled for me right as I was about to jump into the last two episodes destroyed the whole experience for me), I can't deny it's imprint in mainstream US culture. Despite how popular DBZ was, it still maintained a certain fan base. CB was something that was enjoyed by anyone and everyone who saw it. It probably was the subdued nature of the show and the mature writing and top notch Dub (and sub; I admit the dub was very formidable).

The Miyazaki collective - again, they mix grounded stories with intelligent narrative that appeal to anyone within or outside the fandom. At the very least, they're considered good animated movies, at the most, they're cinematic masterpieces.

The Ghibli collective (non-Miazaki) These would probably include the more human (less fantastical) slice of life-type movies. See the above, and more so since the lack of fantastical elements make them more human, and the over the top Japanese cultural themes that surround most anime series,especially nowadays, make them even more accessible, they may not be as action packed, but they're outstanding character studies.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Tauris wrote:

Akira
Tenchi Muyo
Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist

I haven't seen any of these

Same here. The one I've seen most is Escaflowne; of which I watched a full episode one. Caught a few minutes of Cowboy Bebop and FMA at conventions and on TV. The other two? Not a single bit.

sailorsarah08 wrote:
How many shows have you seen in total?

I'm curious about that too, but our thread starter seems either unable or unwilling to share it with us.

Holy crap, that completely floors me...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Care to elaborate?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Care to elaborate?

I would expect one of the primary members of one of the US fandom's premiere anime publications to have seen some of the most common series. It may be a generalization, but I think it's fair one. I'm sure that's not to say you haven't seen a myriad of others and far more obscure ones (though that may be a generalization as well, but to have not even seen Tenchi or FMA. A newbie to the medium or someone younger I can understand, lets assume you're about as old as me, and you've probably been into it longer. I would think you'd have seen them by now.

Nothing against you, it just surprised me. It's like a video game journalist with 20 years of experience under his or her belt not having played The Legend of Zelda or any Megaman game.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
A newbie to the medium or someone younger I can understand, lets assume you're about as old as me, and you've probably been into it longer. I would think you'd have seen them by now.

Or they know they won't like them, why waste time on something you know your gonna hate? I haven't seen a lot, and I guess you could call me a newbie, even though I resent that, but ever think we just like different areas of the medium? I'm sure if I tried to tell you you had to watch Bottle Fairy, you'd try to rip your eyes out and drown yourself in the bathroom.

DragonsRevenge wrote:
It's like a video game journalist with 20 years of experience under his or her belt not having played The Legend of Zelda or any Megaman game.

What if you were a children's video game journalist? Zelda and Megaman aren't required for that are they? The people who report to parents about the learning games don't need to have played those. Sure they could give you a synopsis on those games, and I know I can give you a general plot of all of those shows.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
wow, seeing as some of these look like lists i wonder where the mod's are?

Must see anime would be shows like,

Disgaea, this show cover many points in anime from angels to deamons and even hero's! it's short and funny and I think has much of the humor I enjoy in anime.

Must see show's that had little main stream appeal like, Haibane-Renmei. This show is an neat tale in it's own right. I was so happy to own the whole show on Dvd. I saw some art in a magazine and went on a limb and was very happy i did.

There are so many show's that cover so many topic's in anime. That's I bet part of anime's appeal. My friend collected Initial D and I ended up watching everything he collected of this show. The whole car race mountain drifting got me hooked.

I would think what makes anime Must see is your taste. I liked Trigun when I saw it the first time. The whole bounty hunter with a big price on his head while no one seemed to know what the bounty himself looked like. The luck factor as well was neat in Trigun but not for every anime fan.

I get my information on many anime from Anime News Network and keep up to date with wiki as well.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
dormcat wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Care to elaborate?

I would expect one of the primary members of one of the US fandom's premiere anime publications to have seen some of the most common series. It may be a generalization, but I think it's fair one. I'm sure that's not to say you haven't seen a myriad of others and far more obscure ones (though that may be a generalization as well, but to have not even seen Tenchi or FMA. A newbie to the medium or someone younger I can understand, lets assume you're about as old as me, and you've probably been into it longer. I would think you'd have seen them by now.

Nothing against you, it just surprised me. It's like a video game journalist with 20 years of experience under his or her belt not having played The Legend of Zelda or any Megaman game.

Encyclopedia Editor =/= journalist, and dormcat's "anime roots" aren't in US fandom.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Well then.... guess I'll have to wait for him/her to respond, huh? Unless you can answer for him/her?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I would expect one of the primary members of one of the US fandom's premiere anime publications to have seen some of the most common series. It may be a generalization, but I think it's fair one. I'm sure that's not to say you haven't seen a myriad of others and far more obscure ones (though that may be a generalization as well, but to have not even seen Tenchi or FMA.

Like Zalis said, I don't grow up in US. Tenchi was never big in Taiwan, and while FMA is still popular I've already been "jaded" by most shonen titles. Besides, I'm tired of FMA fans around me shouting how great the concept of "Equivalent Exchange" is; I had learned about chemical conservation and equilibrium more than ten years before the series began.

DragonsRevenge wrote:

I have been playing computer games for 25 years but less than 25 console games. In this case I haven't played either Zelda or Megaman. Razz

Zalis116 wrote:
Encyclopedia Editor =/= journalist, and dormcat's "anime roots" aren't in US fandom.

You're half right. While I'm not a full-fledged journalist, I do cover lots of anime and manga events; TIBE and Comic Exhibition Taipei are just two regular ones. "Events correspondent" might be more fitting. I just submitted a business talk by Kenshi Hirokane to tempest but I don't expect it to be published on the front page, as too few North American anime/manga fans know his name, despite that he's highly respected among grown-up (I avoid using "adults" because it could be easily misunderstood as "erotic") business manga fans. Another fact that has me bewildered is that most active encyclopedia editors are not Americans and/or don't live in US.

Back to the topic: as many have stated, I don't think there's a list of "must have/see" if you just watch anime as a form of entertainment. However, if you watch anime for academic and research purposes then there are a few titles one cannot pass by. However it sometimes still depends on your personal background and interests e.g. Akira and Cowboy Bebop are very important in American fandom but not as important in Japanese fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3