• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bullet Heaven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

As for 'Espaluga II'. Is this game region free?
I'd be interested in passing this along as a recommendation. But if it's going to be released domestically then that's even better.

Yup it's region free (well the standard edition is, the special edition is locked), like Mushihimesama Futari was (you'll probably want to recomend that as well).

Deathsmiles is being localised for the US. No further region free releases from Cave for the moment, I assume they want to see how the localisation does. Deathsmiles is very beginer freindly (even the arcade build), it probably doesn't even need the easy mode normally added to the console versions. Recomend getting that when it's out too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

As for 'Espaluga II'. Is this game region free?
I'd be interested in passing this along as a recommendation. But if it's going to be released domestically then that's even better.

Yup it's region free (well the standard edition is, the special edition is locked), like Mushihimesama Futari was (you'll probably want to recomend that as well).

Deathsmiles is being localised for the US. No further region free releases from Cave for the moment, I assume they want to see how the localisation does. Deathsmiles is very beginer freindly (even the arcade build), it probably doesn't even need the easy mode normally added to the console versions. Recomend getting that when it's out too.

Thanks for that info. Smile Yes, I remember reading about 'Mushihimesama' in Otaku USA. It's an interesting experiment to release "region free" import versions. But I doubt my job would want to pay that type of money to port it. The game runs in the $70 range. So does 'Espaluga II'. That's a little over $150. If both get damaged of course they'd have to consider replacing it. And it wouldn't be immediately. But we should definitely have something like this as a "study". But I'll give it a shot. Along with 'Deathsmiles'. Hell, if a faculty member can recommend one of the 'Guilty Gear' games (along with 'Halo, Assassin's Creed, SFIV, etc..) then why not something like this? This IS what game design is all about.

braves wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Yet the UK is getting better extras. Well, you know that us US gamers don't give a damn about extras. Evil or Very Mad

At least we got that hardcover guide which looks really nice. Great paper quality and concept art too. Square is also selling the soundtrack on their website, so at least they're not leaving us empty handed. That said, if they were smart, they would have packaged all of that together with a steelbook for the game itself as an LE. Instead, I'm just waiting for it to drop in price since my PS3 broke down and I'm not in a rush to replace it.

I guess that sounds good. That's almost similar to the same deal with FFXII's guide book. Remember that? It was a combination of one artbook and one guide book. Plus, steelbook case with documentary DVD (that's not really all that great). But, it just seems so naked. Confused

Last edited by Chrno2 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
with FFXIII being a narrow corridor of bland fight after bland fight and the creators having no clue how to take any sort of criticism for this series I'm glad I jumped ship after how big a colossal wreck XII was.

I'm definitely looking forward to The Last Story since I'll take Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon over nearly any JRPG on the current gens right now.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Camp Candy? Stunt Dawgs?!? Hell yeah!

I find it silly that you mention SF II in the review about the DBZ game and you don't even notice that the minotaur is doing a shoryuken.

Reaper gI wrote:
There are rumours about their most recent release, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label, requiring a no miss (that's right not dieing ever) for the true last boss.

The f***?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:
There are rumours about their most recent release, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label, requiring a no miss (that's right not dieing ever) for the true last boss.

The f***?

That ain't surprising really. These shooter makers know their audience.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Man, I just want to say one thing....

Stunt Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!

OK, two things. Wink

I gawd, I can't believe I remember this. And you're connected this to what?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
FFXIII: Honestly, I've seen this with several JRPGs on the 360. Blue Dragon did it and so did Star Ocean 4. Would it seriously kill them to put dividers in? How much could an extra piece of plastic cost? I mean sure, CDs directly in contact with each other doesn't do anything, but you never know. One drop of the case and...

Solarobo: I just asked my friend about this one, seeing as I never heard about the first one either. But your caption for the first picture was just win.

Quote:
FURRY FREAKS FLY FRANTICALLY in SLY CYBERCONNECT SEQUEL

Time to go stir the fandom! Nah, I kid I kid.

Bakugan: Ugh, enough said. Maybe if they offered the Japanese audio
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, I tried the demo for the DS version of the first Bakugan game and...

I can see where the appeal is. At least it's not like every other god awful piece of let's market this game to kids as much as possible...

It's like a new pokemon... And it's not god awful.

And also, even though I was incredibly anti-FFXIII, those bastards as Square baited me with that FFXIV beta application code. That being said, after seeing that packaging, I'm kinda glad I didn't get the 360 version, as it shares a problem similar with what I had with the CE for FFXII.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
with FFXIII being a narrow corridor of bland fight after bland fight and the creators having no clue how to take any sort of criticism for this series I'm glad I jumped ship after how big a colossal wreck XII was.

clearly you have not played it. As anyone will tell you the combat is best thing about XIII.

also apparently you would like to see the same game made over and over again? the final fantasy series is the ONLY jrpg trying to do something different, trying to break up the stale tropes that plague JRPGs
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
SMT +v Doctor Who. Hell yes.

I am also thoroughly enjoying FFXIII. I don't understand why people hate on it so much.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
God, I remember playing the demo of the Japanese import of Tail Concerto. I f'n loved it at the time. I'd wanted to play the actual american release ever since.

This is a pretty amusing article and is good for profiling JRPGs that slip under the radar.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
I already said he should be set on fire Twisted Evil . I'm allowed to rage about other minor points as well.
I was NERDRAGEing at you. Moe is a subjective character trait, with little to do with art style.
animehermit wrote:
clearly you have not played it. As anyone will tell you the combat is best thing about XIII.
I loved the gambit system from XII, but XIII just feels like a horrible mess. Without the ability to take a short pause between actions without being continually pummelled, all youcan really do is mash the 'do damage' button, with an eye kept on the health bar to switch to 'heal party' button mashing, and hope that the enemy doesn't kill your single lead party member during the unskippable sparkly 'changing modes' animation.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
also apparently you would like to see the same game made over and over again? the final fantasy series is the ONLY jrpg trying to do something different, trying to break up the stale tropes that plague JRPGs

Yeah, I totally agree. If someone wants to say XIII is a bad game then I can respect their opinion. If they're going to bash it just because it's something different...well that's just dumb. It's precisely because they try new things in each game that FF has remained interesting for over a dozen games. Now more than ever JRPGs need to try a fresh approach to break out of the rut they've fallen into. Whether you think it's successful or not, it's nuts to fault XIII purely for trying.

edzieba wrote:
I loved the gambit system from XII, but XIII just feels like a horrible mess. Without the ability to take a short pause between actions...

Don't know how far you are but it gets better as you level up and your ATB gauge increases. It means you've got more time before it maxes out so you can take your time and actually pick out attacks without wasting time. Also, you can hit R1 to bring up the enemy info and pause the battle. You can't select commands like this but if you just need time to think it works fine. Combined with the extended gauge I've had no problems.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
they made a pretty awesome Yu Yu Hakusho game in that VR style on the SNES.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
animehermit wrote:
I loved the gambit system from XII, but XIII just feels like a horrible mess. Without the ability to take a short pause between actions without being continually pummelled, all youcan really do is mash the 'do damage' button, with an eye kept on the health bar to switch to 'heal party' button mashing, and hope that the enemy doesn't kill your single lead party member during the unskippable sparkly 'changing modes' animation.

for those unintiated it can feel like a terrible mess, but once you get used to it, its actually a great deal more strategic than 12 was. right now i barely spend 30 seconds in the same paradigm, constantly switching and find new strategies in battle, also the auto-battle feature is your friend, it selects the best attacks for you to use while adjusting for addition information about any enemies you encounter. Don't feel bad if you die a lot, the game encourages you to die, it helps you better understand the strategy without losing any progress in the game. and even if it didn't theres save points literally every 5 seconds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3