• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bullet Heaven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:
I already said he should be set on fire Twisted Evil . I'm allowed to rage about other minor points as well.
I was NERDRAGEing at you. Moe is a subjective character trait, with little to do with art style.

Moe is an opinion not a character trait, and anything whatsoever can be moe, so long as it exists originally in 2D.
Quote:
This game is covered in moe-esque anime art, and for once I don't care.

you missed which bit was rage inducing, video game art on a video game cover Shocked
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Glad I opted for the PS3 version of XIII (to start with, at least- being the overzealous collector of Final Fantasy I am, I'll likely have both versions sooner or later.) To this day, I seek a replacement case for my copy of Lost Oddessey... but I can't find any single-wide DVD cases that hold 4 discs and a manual. (If anyone knows where to get something like that, tell me!)

I had a very hard time getting started in XIII. The tunnel-style gameplay, no towns, forced parties... stuff I typically only deal with during 'story dumps' in other games. I spent the first few chapters feeling uncomfortably rushed (and desperately wanting Vanille to slap Hope again Laughing ). Once you adjust to the gameplay, it's not so bad... actually, I'm starting to like how the forced party splits let the game focus on one or two characters at a time, so they're starting to feel a little more 'fleshed out' than the usual RPG cast. We'll see how things go as I move along.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if anything the fanbase for Cave games gets disappointed if there ISN'T some kind of obscene final challenge waiting at the end for people who beat the game without continues (sometimes without dying, sometimes you need a certain score).

A lot of the time, since these games are so short, you'll get a Ghouls and Ghosts situation where you get to play the game again but much harder (as in the first stage of the second loop is harder than the last stage of the first), and if you survive that, then some terribly cruel boss will be waiting for you.

Speaking of which, the meanest Cave game is probably Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, a game explicitly built for people who were already masters of the previous Dodonpachi and nobody else. It's an amazing piece of workmanship and unless you're already incredibly skilled, it's absolutely no fun to play at all. I have it on PS2 and I'll never play it again, but it doesn't seem right to get rid of it. Maybe it's more a monument than a videogame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtFkpldJSpY
This is the last stage of DOJ, about as deep as the water gets.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Man, I just want to say one thing....

Stunt Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!

OK, two things. Wink

I gawd, I can't believe I remember this. And you're connected this to what?

It's just the OP so I can terrorize Todd with it, I didn't like Camp Candy a lot but Stunt Dawgs was such a load of nonsensical bunk, you just had to laugh... and now let's play Twister Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtFkpldJSpY
This is the last stage of DOJ, about as deep as the water gets.

You think that one was bad Razz
Hibachi hasn't gotten easier over these last 7 years.
I was talking of someone needing to possibly no miss this monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVSVrcUW17E&annotation_id=annotation_959267&feature=iv
We still have an OST track with no boss, like it was for mushihimesama futari BL before they got to Spiritual Larsa.
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm hearing plenty of good things about Infinite Space. I need to get around getting that as soon as I can knowing the way Sega has screwed up its distribution of the game...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3