• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Not getting a dub? Then what the hell was the point of licensing the series if it's gonna get the subs only? Then I'm not gonna buy it since I already downloaded it.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
They just updated the order page to remove English as one of the spoken languages.

So it looks like it will be sub only. Pity.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Not getting a dub? Then what the hell was the point of licensing the series if it's gonna get the subs only? Then I'm not gonna buy it since I already downloaded it.

Go whine elsewhere. What's the point of listening to dubs when you've already read it in English?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

Ah, what a thoughtful comment. I now see I was so wrong to say that 95-99% of fansub watchers fall into the "Why would I pay for it if I can get it for free?" category in the Ways to use fansubs while protecting the industry? thread earlier.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Go whine elsewhere. What's the point of listening to dubs when you've already read it in English?

Because, amazingly enough, some people actually like English dubs.

And I really wanted to hear Pam Lauer and Alison Sumrall/Jessica Calvello again.

Maybe if enough people pre-order it'll get a dub. Can't hurt to try right? Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Because, amazingly enough, some people actually like English dubs.

Preposterous. That'd be like watching movies instead of reading books. Pointless.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this for i can't even remember how long now! It;s great to see great classics still being released like this today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="walw6pK4Alo"]
K.o.R wrote:

Preposterous. That'd be like watching movies instead of reading books. Pointless.

Well, the main point of a TV show is to WATCH it, not READ it, that's what books, magazines, comic books and newspapers are for.

Some of us do prefer dubs you idiot because we don't speak Japanese and we won't have to keep reading the subs which we cannot pick up on 'hidden emotions' or what words are being emphasized, watching the dubs makes that much easier and also because some of us speak English that we'd rather watch an English version. It's so simple! You one of those extreme fanboys or w/e who cry when an anime is not in Japanese, get a life!

hissatsu01 wrote:

Ah, what a thoughtful comment. I now see I was so wrong to say that 95-99% of fansub watchers fall into the "Why would I pay for it if I can get it for free?" category in the Ways to use fansubs while protecting the industry? thread earlier.

Normally I would buy an anime, but if they don't have western releases like Captain Tsubasa or Igano Kabamaru, or if they have bad dubs like 4Kids anime, then there's nothing to do but download them or watch them online. So quit trying to be so smart because you're just being a cute fluffy bunny about dubs.

[Mod Edit: Feel free to disagree, but do so respectfully. Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. - Keonyn]

Last edited by darksharingan on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not "so simple". First thing: this show is ooooolllldddddddd and doesn't have an immensely massive fanbase anymore. Remember how well Aura Battler Dunbine did, with its dub? Chances are that they licensed it because it is so old, thus a cheap license, and it's a service to people who are already Lovely Angels fans. It's not like the dubs for the ADV releases were that spectacular, and even then, that was 10 episodes, a movie, and some one-shots. Adding a dub would undoubtedly raise the price of this much more, and it's already pretty substantial for a sub-only release.

Everyone immediately forgets that dubbing is not easy or cheap. Ever seen a recording studio? That's not some cheap equipment to rent out, and then you have the cost of mixing and re-mixing, and paying the dub actors on top of that. And especially it becomes hard because they have to match audio to video that already exists, which requires rewrites of scripts and multiple takes.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
So....any new on when they're going to put a release date on Antique Bakery? They announced that license at the same time as Junjo Romantica and JR has gotten a release date set for it! Where's AB?
LordRobin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
So happy!!!!

More than any other anime, Dirty Pair is responsible for bringing me into anime fandom back in 1991! (Yeah, I put the "old" in "old school".)

Back then, I was practically obsessed with the Dirty Pair. I wrote fanfics about them back when putting anime fanfic on the internet was still a new idea. I created a synopsis for the Flight 005 Conspiracy OVA with the help of my Japanese dorm neighbor in grad school. I watched the OVAs and the movie and read the Studio Proteus comic books, over and over.

But the one thing I have never done is seen the entire TV series from beginning to end. So you better believe I'm looking forward to this.

Goddamn! New Slayers and the Dirty Pair licensed! This is a good week!

------RM
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Not simple? You really are my BFF forever! It's a simple fact that some people prefer dubs and wanna watch dubs.

And besides, Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball started in the 80s but didn't get licensed until 2001 but they still got dubs, so even if an anime is old, doesn't mean it cannot have a strong fanbase and this one does.

Yeah, maybe dubbing it would raise the price of the DVDs but there's one simple way to get around that...GET A JOB AND STOP BEING CHEAP!! They're not very expensive, unless you have a crappy job meaning you lack knowledge to do anything worthwhile.

[Mod Edit: Stop resorting to constant insults. - Keonyn]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Not simple? Wheeeeeeeeeeee! It's a simple fact that some people prefer dubs and wanna watch dubs.

And besides, Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball started in the 80s but didn't get licensed until 2001 but they still got dubs, so even if an anime is old, doesn't mean it cannot have a strong fanbase and this one does.

Some people is not the entire market. 2001 was when then anime boom was starting. That boom is over. I'd suggest listening to Zac and Justin's podcasts, you might learn quite a bit.

Just because people want dubs doesn't make the dub an economically smart thing to do. That's why sub-only releases exist. It's a legal means of getting the product over here for people that want it with less expense to the company releasing it. And lo-and-behold, it generally tends to be for anime that are not DBZ, FMA, or Soul Eater.

Ranma 1/2 is a 90's show, and Urusei Yatsura, aside from the movies, never got dubbed. Which is more of a contemporary to Dirty Pair. No, old anime doesn't do that well anymore.

Also, I don't want to ad hominem, but you sound like a teenager.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Not simple? You really are a big meanyhead! It's a simple fact that some people prefer dubs and wanna watch dubs.

Yeah, maybe dubbing it would raise the price of the DVDs but there's one simple way to get around that...GET A JOB AND STOP BEING CHEAP!! They're not very expensive, unless you have a crappy job meaning you lack knowledge to do anything worthwhile.
My my aren't we just the confrontational little jerk today, kind of adorable in a I want to smack you across the head kind of way.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Normall, I would complain about it getting dubbed, but I would honestly take this show anyway it's released. It was my number one license wish after all, and I honestly thought it would never get a proper release over here. If there's one thing I will bother watching subbed, its Dirty Pair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10