• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm hoping to slowly become more versed in older titles too. I swear I'm one of the few who's been into anime as long as I have that's never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. ~_~
That's cool, just do yourself a favor and watch Rahxephon instead Laughing (watching very timidly as EVA fans approach).
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Big fan of the first moive. If I could afford the time and shelf space, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

enurtsol wrote:
Wow, it's like we won in Russian Roulette.

Nice inside joke.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...Meh. Pointless license. I'm sure maybe it'll get some sales but...

Meh, every single anime that you've ever liked and was licensed in North America was a pointless license.

Yeah, it works both ways buddy.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Insta-buy! I didn't think it was ever going to be licensed. I have a few eps of the TV fansubs, unwatched because I also didn't think they were ever going to be finished until Dr Grant Swinger mentioned it, lol

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I've heard of this a lot but never seen it. This is great news for fans of it though, kudos to them.

I never knew all we had over here was OVAs or something though. So it's best to watch this show first actually?

While I'm not sure, I don't recall any continuous plotline of sorts. But they do share background information. You might be able to skip around. I haven't watched the whole franchise. I only watched a couple of the OVAs.. I forgot all the details.. it was soo long ago on VHS.

Here's the relation graph of the whole franchise:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=401
going from top to bottom (following the "prequel <---> sequel" vectors) shows the chronological order in-universe, which follows release order except for Dirty Pair Flash.

Personally, I'd watch release order, from oldest to newest + sibling nodes if you are able to pick up the rest.

I'm excited but to be honest it's probably due to nostalgia filtered through rose colored glasses. I'll watch through everything once, completely this time, and it may leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling. But if I watch it again, I'll probably be thinking, "gawd this is so cheesy..." Laughing

Zin5ki wrote:
This news is another completely unexpected occurrence. Why, this week has been as unpredictable as a game of Russian Roulette!

Though I was never quite thrilled by the episodic escapades of the Lovely Angels, this news raises the prospect of other unavailable 1980s titles being granted much-desired DVD licences.

Hehe, good one! ru-ru-ru- ru-ru-ru-ru-russi-an! Razz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNd6SpmeBqY
ahhh... 懐かしい 80's synth pop
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
Okay, serious question now for those of you who've seen it: I know it's a classic of American anime fandom, I know it was one of the major series of the pre-Akira era that people watched on Nth-generation VHS tapes that had had subtitles edited in the hard way, etc. etc....but is Dirty Pair actually any good?
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
...Meh. Pointless license. I'm sure maybe it'll get some sales but...

Meh, every single anime that you've ever liked and was licensed in North America was a pointless license.

Yeah, it works both ways buddy.

Seriously. Besides, even if you don't care about the show, that doesn't change the fact that this license is HUGE. It got me to pre-order on Day 1. I never do that.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
YES, GOD, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY FREAKIN' GOD YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can now replace my incomplete fansub tapes. Yes. Tapes. Smile It would've been nicer dubbed but honestly, I'm just happy to see it come over AT ALL! I'll definately be buying this one IN BULK so as to not let it get away like I did Orguss... Anime cry But October...? Damn... That's far away... Anime cry

Quote:
Okay, serious question now for those of you who've seen it: I know it's a classic of American anime fandom, I know it was one of the major series of the pre-Akira era that people watched on Nth-generation VHS tapes that had had subtitles edited in the hard way, etc. etc....but is Dirty Pair actually any good?

I'd say it's fairly good. It's over the top action with lots of comedy though not like the kind of comedy you see now a days. Despite being about a couple of girls there isn't anywhere NEAR as much fanservice or "those" types of jokes around them. It's mainly how bad things just seem to happen during their investigations and such. It's pretty amusing and fun.

Quote:
Hehe, good one! ru-ru-ru- ru-ru-ru-ru-russi-an! Razz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNd6SpmeBqY
ahhh... 懐かしい 80's synth pop

You're speakin' MY language! Anime hyper
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
*happy dance*

Hopefully the Nozomi sale won't be over by the time I get home from work tonight...
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
Very cool.

Not sure if anyone's said it yet, but if you pre-order now from Rightstuf with code "magica" it works out to less than $60 (with free shipping) for the entire show (24 episodes). Not bad IMO.

Go ahead and pre-order now. It'll give Shawne some extra confidence during production and you can always cancel later if you find yourself cash strapped. You won't find it cheaper than that during the pre-order period.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Damn right it is-they don't call it "girls with guns" for nothing-especially Kei.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Dirty Pair is a classic 80's gem which is very episodic which does'nt take itself too seriously,I remember catching episodes of the OVA on the showtime channel awhile back in 2003.

I watched the old VHS fansubs of the tv series awhile back and the recent DVD Quality Fansubs provided by Live-Evil (the same fansubbing group who are recently subbing Kimagure Orange Road) Laughing

Kei and Yuri were the sexiest 80's anime females during the time.
Hideyoshilover1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm hoping to slowly become more versed in older titles too. I swear I'm one of the few who's been into anime as long as I have that's never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. ~_~
That's cool, just do yourself a favor and watch Rahxephon instead Laughing (watching very timidly as EVA fans approach).

:/
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
All I have to say is this:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Very Happy
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
A bit steep for something that was released in 85'
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Maybe watch both? I really like parts of RaXephon, but given how much of it feels like just a clone of Eva (and that other series), he ought to at least try watching Eva first.

And . . . um . . . yeah, Dirty Pair, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10