• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clamp to Launch xxxHOLiC: Rei Manga Next February

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
MaxGoof wrote:
I wish to god CLAMP would just finish X/1999 instead of retreading XXXHolic.

Yup. And who knows how long Gate 7 and Drug and Drop will be until they work on a new project (or even bother to start on it). I'm assuming Gate 7 will be 12, maybe 13 volumes, because of how each cover features a member of the Chinese zodiac on it.

Vaisaga wrote:
I'm all for more Holic, though I think it is a bit unecessary. The ending was abrupt, sure, but it featured a genuinely surprising twist that I have to applaud Clamp for.

I think it's not needed as well. I mean, I'll read it and enjoy it I'm sure, but I don't think it's a great decision :/ I like it when stories finally end, and don't turn into Narutos or One Pieces, etc. Starting it up again, just makes it feel like a cash-grab to sell along side the live-action series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought the ending to the Ro storyline was absolutely dreadful, bad enough to knock the manga down in my rankings here. It just felt like CLAMP had no idea how to actually conclude anything and so they just didn't. So I don't exactly have much faith in them at the moment.

That said, I'll buy it when it gets brought over here (which it will), at least for a volume or two, because at one point this was my favourite of all CLAMP's manga series.

Also, they are never going to finish X/1999. Ever. I'm very sure about that.

... Granted, I was also sure Rose of Versailles would not get licensed but news of a continuation for that thing would be the same level of shocking for me.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
MaxGoof wrote:

This. But I hear that it'll never be finished. =\
Honey_Zero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I knew they weren't done with this.
I am really looking forward to this. CLAMP are some of my favourite mangaka.
I know what I say will be unpopular but, I really don't care if Yuuko returns or not. I never really cared for her.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Honey_Zero wrote:
I know what I say will be unpopular but, I really don't care if Yuuko returns or not. I never really cared for her.

I'm with you. She had her moments but the rest of the cast is much more interesting, especially at this point in the manga (Watanuki was annoying at first but he had a pretty amazing arc and now he's really left no place in the series for Yuuko).
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
I would be all for this if I wasn't so bitter about how it went the last time. If they explore the time between skips, then I might give it a shot, but honestly after them busing Himawari off to get married and never show up again, I pretty much washed my hands of it.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
I had hoped they would revisit this series. The original manga ending took me completely by surprise and left me with a certain amount of fridge-horror and a horrible feeling in my guts that didn't go away for days.

Not a sad ending, not a bad ending, but an enigmatic and desperately tragic ending. I had gotten to the point where I had come to terms with the ending. Really, it is a very Japanese end to a story that doesn't drip Japanese culture so much as it was crafted from the oozing chrysalis of Japanese Culture.

It warms my cockles to know that it is getting a further treatment. Positively warms them, all over the bed and walls!
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
MaxGoof wrote:

I gave on waiting since 2005... it will be over when it's over. which at this moment seems to be never...

And do not know how I feel about a new manga to be honest. I am still resentful how the tsubasa clusterfuck took down the series with it...
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I thought the ending to the Ro storyline was absolutely dreadful, bad enough to knock the manga down in my rankings here. It just felt like CLAMP had no idea how to actually conclude anything and so they just didn't. So I don't exactly have much faith in them at the moment.

This announcement is really weird. CLAMP had mentioned in a Japanese NEWTYPE interview that they had planned to end the series with the original ending, but a new contract sprung up and that's why they changed the ending very slightly and made three more volumes of it until it was taken out of the magazine for a lack of popularity (which wasn't unexpected as it didn't quite fit in with the previous fanbase, so the readers were less interested in it or couldn't invest as much time/money in catching up or switching magazines to read it). So are they planning on fixing this demographic mess up or what? Was it CLAMP's idea or was it just another contract?

It just seems like, lately, the contracts are messing with CLAMP's stories. Kobato was cut short because of a contract, too. :/
lilly_938

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
rahzel.rose wrote:
I would be all for this if I wasn't so bitter about how it went the last time. If they explore the time between skips, then I might give it a shot, but honestly after them busing Himawari off to get married and never show up again, I pretty much washed my hands of it.

Exactly. I was angry at how they screwed over the females, I really liked Kohane and Himawari. spoiler[Hell, why couldn't Watanuki grow to love Kohane?! I'm sure they could've explained their father's lack of aging...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2