• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10 Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ouch all the top 10 broke 4 million last year infact 11th place last year would be 7th place this year.

Out of top ten from last year

Toriko = hahaha at least a 1,450,000 drop from last year (yeah i'm still bitter)

BLeach = hahaha a 1 million drop from last year (yeah i'm still bitter)

Gintama

Gantz

Blue Exorcist

Return to top ten

HunterxHunter up 1/2 million from last year

I don't know why Fairy Tail keeps dropping it's a "cliche" shonen as shit as Bleach but it still has an anime and it's not that old.

Though it does seem that battle manga are doing a lot worse recently.

Maybe the aging of Japan is having a bigger effect what with far less children being born for the last decade or so?
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Toriko = hahaha at least a 1,450,000 drop from last year (yeah i'm still bitter)

Less older volumes being bought and the effect of the anime adaptation has probably ceased by now.

Quote:
BLeach = hahaha a 1 million drop from last year (yeah i'm still bitter)

5 new volumes released in the considered time-frame last year. 4 this year.

Quote:
I don't know why Fairy Tail keeps dropping it's a "cliche" shonen as shit as Bleach but it still has an anime and it's not that old.

Same as Toriko. Less people buying the older volumes as the years go by.

Again, these numbers should be put into perspective with other parameters being taken into consideration.

Last edited by Kutsu on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realise Magi has never broken the 1 million a year mark before it didn't even make the top 50 last year!

So well done for the highest riser.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

As for why Kuroko Basketball, and Space Brothers have shot up the charts the reason are the anime adaptations. Sales skyrocket as people buy large amounts of the previous volumes.

Well I don't know about Kuroko Basketball, but Space Brothers was already a top seller before the anime came out. Anime might increase sales, but a lot of series have anime it doesn't necessarily put you in the top 10.

Magi as someone said above me seems to have had the biggest push from its anime adaption.

Quote:
Silver Spoon sales while always good due to being made by Hiromu Arakawa increased drastically when it won the Taisho award which is an award given to manga with 8 or less volumes made in the last year.

They might be waiting for the anime adaption but in this case they don't really have to. While I would be surprised if Silver Spoon sells on the same level as FMA, I am sure "by the creator of FMA" would be very strong advertising for the series.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
For the first 100 episodes or so, the anime is far inferior to the manga thanks to Scooby Doo-esque filler, ruining the core plot and having to retcon itself and such. Even if it's probably good now with the typical bit of censorship which comes with being on TV, but it's the worst adaptation of a long runner (especially as it is a long runner itself) I've had the fortune of seeing the manga for as well. >_>

I'd argue the 'mystery of the week' filler, while maybe it gets old if it's on a long stretch, actually fits into the Conanverse just fine. The manga is pretty much like that in general to begin with, only the manga cases tend to be more character/plot development driven. Heck, just look at recent events in the manga. The train case was huge plot-wise but still revolved around a unrelated, throaway whodunit murder on a train, as well as the proceeding tennis club case with Amuro development also being a random unrelated whodunit. Conan's cases mix into the plot/character development all the time I find it less jarring than other series when it pulls out another 'murder of the week'.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
I didn't realise Magi has never broken the 1 million a year mark before it didn't even make the top 50 last year!

So well done for the highest riser.

And with the anime doing extremely well(*), it will probably continue to increase.

*Nichigo Averages:
1. Gundam 00 S2: 4.47%
2. Magi (up to ep 6): 4.13%
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
thelastgogeta wrote:
For the first 100 episodes or so, the anime is far inferior to the manga thanks to Scooby Doo-esque filler, ruining the core plot and having to retcon itself and such. Even if it's probably good now with the typical bit of censorship which comes with being on TV, but it's the worst adaptation of a long runner (especially as it is a long runner itself) I've had the fortune of seeing the manga for as well. >_>

I'd argue the 'mystery of the week' filler, while maybe it gets old if it's on a long stretch, actually fits into the Conanverse just fine. The manga is pretty much like that in general to begin with, only the manga cases tend to be more character/plot development driven. Heck, just look at recent events in the manga. The train case was huge plot-wise but still revolved around a unrelated, throaway whodunit murder on a train, as well as the proceeding tennis club case with Amuro development also being a random unrelated whodunit. Conan's cases mix into the plot/character development all the time I find it less jarring than other series when it pulls out another 'murder of the week'.

I'll agree that the mystery of the week filler does fit into the Conanverse which is ultimately more open to filler than most, it was mainly the poor execution and changes to the canon cases which bugged me. Episode 1/Chapter 1 - Same building - Same plot - Man kills friend (male if important)/Man kills wife is the start of it.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for double posting - Editing wasn't working out.

Dino_Rabbit wrote:
thelastgogeta wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.

Conan is much more popular in anime form than manga form. It's one of those shows where the anime surpasses/supersedes the manga.

This is pretty mean.

They ruined a plot point (ep 13) because the initial goal for the anime was 13 episodes 1 cour (or possibly 2 cour), but the rating skyrocketed and shocked them, so they decided to make it longer, and since the rating never dropped it became a long running anime.

And the filler is to keep the anime running, which I'm totally fine with because I love the fillers in Conan, And since it does twice as well as Naruto Shippuuden and on par with One Piece in ratings, its really not nice to say its the worst long running adaptation.

I haven't seen any source saying that it was intended to be a 1 or 2 cour series but the rating surprised them, but it would definitely add up with how poorly the show did the first 100 episodes. The plot points they messed up add quite highly, on the level of adaptations which didn't care that much after a point like Soul Eater's anime but the anime goes on and attempts to retcon themselves to be accurate... >_>

There are drastic changes including replacing Black Organisation appearances (where names are revealed, important people die and the chase becomes intense) with cloaked stranger appearances who get caught, kill no one (making an important appearance based on a death unjustified till they redo the episode properly perhaps a year later) and have no names (Conan just knows the names out of nowhere).

I'll give DC credit for being more open to filler by design, with the case by case formula, but the filler given can be pretty weak and the Episode 100+/- changes would barely be accepted, before they turn their back on them.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dino_Rabbit wrote:
thelastgogeta wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.

Conan is much more popular in anime form than manga form. It's one of those shows where the anime surpasses/supersedes the manga.

This is pretty mean.

They ruined a plot point (ep 13) because the initial goal for the anime was 13 episodes 1 cour (or possibly 2 cour), but the rating skyrocketed and shocked them, so they decided to make it longer, and since the rating never dropped it became a long running anime.

And the filler is to keep the anime running, which I'm totally fine with because I love the fillers in Conan, And since it does twice as well as Naruto Shippuuden and on par with One Piece in ratings, its really not nice to say its the worst long running adaptation.

I am not even referring to the stuff before episode 130, the stuff after a certain episode in the 300s the arc after that they really moved around some cases that killed any sense of logic and pacing because it makes it nonsensical.
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

can we please have more kimi ni todoke anime and a silver spoon anime now please Very Happy

Knowing Arakawa, I would prefer until Silver Spoon reaches its conclusion to avoid having nazis attack the farm Laughing
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
BurtWalker wrote:
Wow, how did Kuroko no Basuke and Uchu Kyoudai get so high?! O_o

because people liked them.
can we please have more kimi ni todoke anime and a silver spoon anime now please Very Happy
also confirmation on a 3rd or 4th quarter for magi would be nice. I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.

No, I'd prefer more Kuroko and Uchuu, thanks.

Also, Detective Conan is tired and needs to end. Ditto for One Piece.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Knowing Arakawa, I would prefer until Silver Spoon reaches its conclusion to avoid having nazis attack the farm Laughing

Nah all we need to do is make sure both Aikawa and Mizushima get nowhere near the anime.

Even if Aikawa and Mizushima did make the anime I think they would use Buddhist monks and have Tamago (in her only appearance of the series) sacrifice herself by ramming Buddha with a Combine Harvester.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
BurtWalker wrote:
Wow, how did Kuroko no Basuke and Uchu Kyoudai get so high?! O_o

because people liked them.
also confirmation on a 3rd or 4th quarter for magi would be nice. I am shocked though that detective conan is not on that list.

No, I'd prefer more Kuroko and Uchuu, thanks.

Also, Detective Conan is tired and needs to end. Ditto for One Piece.

Conan should end soon I think everyone agrees with that. I like detective academy Q (manga) or kindaichi just as much
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
One Piece, Magi and HxH FTW!!

I seriously would like someone to grab silver spoon already before having to resort to scans because Animal land and Itsuwaribito reminded me how fun it is to read the physical copy first.

Darkmagick wrote:

Also, One Piece's sales went down compared to the previous year for the first time in recent memory as well...And not only did they go down, but by 14.5 million...

It's the end of an age...

Well if it is I'm not complaining.

I love One Piece don't get me wrong but I eagerly look forward to seeing what the next big shounen title from jump will be, because I'm pretty positive it's going to show up at some point.

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga/watched the anime for Kuroko, but I can imagine that the recent incidents with the threats and cancelled events might have risen the series popularity, thus giving it a spike in sales. After all, they always say bad publicity is still publicity -or something like that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3