• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers in Film Talks for Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
Joseph Lai has also made money from making cheap cut and paste movies with Godfrey Ho from pre-existing movies but is all you really want from a Bleach live-action to be marginally profitable even though it wouldn't be good? Are your standards so low?
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think they should avoid trying to retell the manga's story. Instead, they should do a "side-story." Bleach has been pretty silent with house Soul Society interacts with the world outside of Japan so there's plenty to build up on.

Make it about a few shinigami assigned to America while everything's going down in Japan. Bleach presents Japan as the only place where stuff happens but I refuse to believe Hollows have stopped their activity in other parts of the world.

Soul Reapers is already a Bleach term so that's what they'll call themselves. Different outfits? They changed so as not to freak out foreign souls when a bunch of "samurai" come to take them to "heaven."

This makes it more about using the Bleach universe instead of the story. Would avoid a lot of complications if you ask me. Now, whether they can create a good independent story from this is the big question. It would be more like pre-SS Bleach, which makes the need for effects less.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
@ Royal Devil

Wow, and the majority of all superhero movies are set in New York and we refuse to believe that there can't be superheroes outside of New York, let alone America, right? Rolling Eyes

Personally, I find it a big cop out.

Does Harry Potter need to be set elsewhere outside of London, England? Since anything that involves magic within the universe can't only be involved there, right? The HP fanboys would pretty much have a riot with that one.

If that happens, the only way that this idea will gain approval from fans is if Tite Kubo approves of the idea that it should be called a spin-off, not an official adaptation of the original series. However, shouldn't a spin-off to Bleach should also be animated and be set in the same universe as the original and it should be stated as such from the creators? Can we say, "Bleach: Miami", and "Bleach: New York", anyone?

Besides, if we look at a lot of adaptations of American comics, and they all still keep all of the characters and settings in their original state but only update them for modern times. What is exactly wrong with having a faithful adaptation of a well known series NOT set in New York, America? It worked very well for J.K. Rowling and her famous Harry Potter franchise it could work well with others but sadly, Hollywood in general still doesn't think outside the box.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
The reason it would have to be relocated to America is because Japan is still considered too foreign, whereas most Americans are more familiar with the UK. Also, the only reason Harry Potter remained in England is because JK insisted on it. If Kubo does the same for Bleach, I doubt this movie will happen. Of course, I'm of the opinion that Bleach, like DB, is too cartoony and too difficult to translate to live action.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ Royal Devil

Wow, and the majority of all superhero movies are set in New York and we refuse to believe that there can't be superheroes outside of New York, let alone America, right? Rolling Eyes

Anyone who follows comics knows there's plenty of stuff going on outside of New York in the DC and Marvel universes. Harry Potter has also acknowledged non-British wizards. Same cannot be said for Bleach. Everything has been in SS, HM, and Japan. Name me one thing that happened in Bleach outside of these settings besides Chad's flashback to his time in Mexico.

And that scenario I mentioned would be the best for a US setting. It'd be nice if they could set it in Japan and all but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that's a real possibility. Like it or not, there is a difference to setting a comic adaptation outside of New York and setting HP in Britain from setting something Japan with Japanese actors.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone who follows comics knows there's plenty of stuff going on outside of New York in the DC and Marvel universes. Harry Potter has also acknowledged non-British wizards. Same cannot be said for Bleach. Everything has been in SS, HM, and Japan. Name me one thing that happened in Bleach outside of these settings besides Chad's flashback to his time in Mexico.

And that scenario I mentioned would be the best for a US setting. It'd be nice if they could set it in Japan and all but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that's a real possibility.

I say that there should be more big event Hollywood films that are not set in America for once. I do acknowledge that not all superhero movies are set in New York, let alone America but the majority of these movie adaptations don't even really address that issue.

As for settings dispute, that didn't stop Hollywood from making that crappy Grudge remake where it still took place in Tokyo, Japan but all they did was just replace the main Japanese characters with white folks. Why keep the original setting when we could just watch the original? Plus, Quarantine is also another pretty inferior shot-by-shot remake of the Spanish horror film REC with the only difference is that it adheres to horror movie cliches while the original is more realistic, despite its premise. Plus, it's common knowledge that most Hollywood made Asian remakes are always inferior to the originals with some exceptions but it's not a lot.

Does the series really have to acknowledge everything outside of the series' current setting? Would be nice but not really needed, in my opinion. I know that there could be Hollows invading the living world outside of Japan but Aizen's plan is to sacrifice Karakura City and for him to be the new Spirit King would be more than enough to imply that Japan is not the only place he wants to conquer in the afterlife. Of course, he is the maniacal villain who dreams of world domination! Don't all great villains want that?

Besides, if the adaptation is westernized, what are the chances that they will acknowledge their original Japanese counterparts within the film at all? Doubtful.

Plus, it's been said in the past that Tite Kubo is against the idea of making Bleach into a live action film. I expect that he may put up a fight and voice his disdain over it. So unless if he gets to play an important contributing part to the film as a production and casting consultant, I really can't see him being happy about seeing his creation being westernized after all of that hard effort he put into creating the series and the live action film of Bleach is already considered dead.

The only bright side is that Warner Bros. is more daring compared to other Hollywood film studios. If they're willing to make Letters from Iwo Jima, Ninja Assassin, and the plans they have for Ninja Scroll with Leo on board, I think there is a good possibility that Bleach will get the better casting treatment that it deserves.

But that's a big IF.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Does the series really have to acknowledge everything outside of the series' current setting? Would be nice but not really needed, in my opinion. I know that there could be Hollows invading the living world outside of Japan but Aizen's plan is to sacrifice Karakura City and for him to be the new Spirit King would be more than enough to imply that Japan is not the only place he wants to conquer in the afterlife. Of course, he is the maniacal villain who dreams of world domination! Don't all great villains want that?

Never said it had to acknowledge such things, just that it would nice if it did. It helps with world-building.

Quote:
Plus, it's been said in the past that Tite Kubo is against the idea of making Bleach into a live action film. I expect that he may put up a fight and voice his disdain over it. So unless if he gets to play an important contributing part to the film as a production and casting consultant, I really can't see him being happy about seeing his creation being westernized after all of that hard effort he put into creating the series and the live action film of Bleach is already considered dead.

And Alan Moore will not hesitate to say how much he disdains movie adaptations of his work. Didn't stop League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, and Watchmen from getting made. If Shueisha really wants this to go through I doubt Kubo can do much. [/quote]
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Alan Moore? He really needs to lighten up. I admit that the first two are terrible adaptations but Watchmen is by far the best adaptation and the most faithful to the original book and to his original vision and it's a shame he's missing out on it. Besides, he has every right to be a consultant on anything that is based on his works.

Let's just see how would Tite Kubo react and how willing he is to let this happen and if he are going to put up some conditions if they really want to do the series justice.

I still say that Bleach won't be good without the heavy Japanese influences permeating the series and if I want to see a westernized fantasy, I rather see Fullmetal Alchemist get adapted because since the series is set in non-Asian settings, it's most likely it will stay that way.

If something like Inuyasha and Naruto are being adapted into live action by Hollywood, I strongly expect they should cast all Asian actors for them and there's no excuse for it.

No excuse at all.

Someday, Hollywood will get a clue on what to do and what not to do when adapting a well known anime series but that is a long way to go.

Last edited by Lycosyncer on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
excelladon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping that Warner Bros. will follow on their past examples such as Harry Potter and dosent offer any relocation on the characters and settings and themes "Bleach" exibits that gave it's character.
dark_serenity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
if anybody truly liked that movie, then you honestly weren't a fan, Shocked i for one was seriously appalled at what they had turned dragonball into, i was ashamed for seeing it in theaters, and so was my father, the storyline was totally trashed, i mean seriously goku as a high school lovestruck kid ?? wtf??? he looked like such a wuss too.... and it was so unforgivably cheesy!! Embarassed

but it is true that the movie was done by 20th century fox, not warner brothers, and honestly i kinda am a little curious to see what a Bleach live action movie would turn out being... hopefully its not just seen as really bad cosplay with really bad actors.... Rolling Eyes .

but like people have been saying ,its only in the talks, it might not actually happen... i personally would support the franchise if it ended up happening, i might regret it, but hey at least anime is getting out there and being recognized..... right?? Crying or Very sad
gorbal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Are they definitely setting it in America and tailoring it to an American audience then? I could only see it working if it was set in a Japanese community in Hawaii or San Francisco; but I wonder why they just don't make it for a Asian audience using Hollywood money and perhaps use a director that is popular in America as well?

I agree that and Americanized "Death Note" isn't so horrible an Idea as that is more culturally universal but "Bleach" is Japanese to it's core and to change that would bastardize it.

Edit: reading over the comments I see that Warner Brothers is comfortable with having mostly Japanese or Asian actors for a live action film; gives me hope.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
Are they definitely setting it in America and tailoring it to an American audience then?

We have no clue at this time. Warner Bros. are in "Talks".

We just freaking out about this because:

1) The last few anime to live-action movies have sucked.

2) Because we can and we like to! Wink Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd be ok with Bleach if the Scott Pilgrim FX people were attached to it.
Bell02

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
If Shueisha really wants this to go through I doubt Kubo can do much.

Comics are copyrighted differently in Japan than in America, I'm not sure about Alan Moore, but generally in the US, the publisher holds all the rights, but in Japan it's actually the author that holds most. That's why when you look at the copyrights in your manga they say the author's name first.

Still, Time and money changes a lot of minds.

labantnet wrote:

Do you mean, Dragon Ball Evolution? Cause if you do, then bleach would go well. See, you may have hated it, but the movie made money. it had a budget of $30 Million, and had gross revenue of $57.5 Million. That's $27.5 Million in profit. Compare that to Blood the Last Vampire which made gross $5.7 Million. Or how about comparing that to Street Fighter: TLoCL, which was budgeted at $50 Million, and made only $12 Million Gross. And Street Fighter is a largely more popular franchise in the US, as a console fighter.

I would say that it's all about not making the movie so niche that it's audience is only the Anime fandom. Like Dragon Ball Evolution, without messing up the fundamental story elements.

Also, I doubt Dragonball Evolution was considered a success because even though the movie made a profit, the merchandising tanked. Honestly I'm surprised one can imply that its success is due to Americanization when Dragonball Z had to have been one of the most popular children's shows of the 90s, and still makes tons of money off merchandising in the US even now that the program isn't even on Air.

It's like if they made a Live action Pokemon Movie where all the pokemon were people in Make up, and had a plot that made Transformers 2 Rise of the Fallen look like Citizen Kane, and then rather than base it on monster battling, Americanize it to be like dog show competitions meets air bud and then the movie getting a $20-30mil profit on the film, then, after all that, saying it was due to the changes that caused that success. This is what I meant, Bleach is one thing, but seriously be realistic.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 am Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:

It's like if they made a Live action Pokemon Movie where all the pokemon were people in Make up,

Who says thats a bad idea? If you do it right the first time around....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11