• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers in Film Talks for Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing that Tite Kubo had stated that there will never be a Live-Action Bleach film, made in any nation. I am sorry if I missed it, but what happened to that idea?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I remember hearing that Tite Kubo had stated that there will never be a Live-Action Bleach film, made in any nation. I am sorry if I missed it, but what happened to that idea?

$$$, probably. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, as profit is the purpose of creating a franchise)
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

Probably went out the window when he signed off on the horrible rock musicals. Seriously, he let that through and people don't think he'd allow a major motion picture? Let's be realistic, he's either all talk, greedy, or doesn't have the power over the direction of Bleach that people think he does.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

This just goes to show how unoriginal our country's filmmakers and studios are getting. Unfortunately, this is probably going to get made, because Warner Bros. is in charge of "Bleach"'s North American distribution on DVD (they formed a partnership with Viz a while back; you may have noticed the "WB" stickers on the packaging of your "Bleach" DVDs). Just another blatant abuse of power...

Maybe If Obama would change the education system in U. S. in the same way he's doing with the health care reform, so that instead of students killing each other in the schools, improve their educational level, maybe Hollywood would be smart enought for not messing with this kind of things.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This is not a political topic, and that is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Keep this on topic or it goes to Locksville or the OT posts will simply be removed.

I know certain people are obsessed with showing their political prejudice, but it doesn't apply here, plain and simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the others who have said that the movie would almost inevitably turn into a disaster. Bleach is really something that can ONLY work well as anime and manga, that's it. Its meant to be drawn and animated, nothing like real life people to play the characters because there is so much to Bleach that would fail on the believability scale if it were live action. The characters, the major elements of the series has anime dyed into its core. It would look ridiculous with real living actors on the big screen. Movies have to have a good sense of believability to it in order for audiences to really accept it in that sense. And I agree that there is a lot to Bleach that has that Japanese culture written over it, changing it would kind of just ruin it, even the english dubb version over here is kind of odd.
What Hollywood should do is release more animated movies from Japan and/or just simply produce more animated original movies here. I don't get why they HAVE to make animated series into live action in the first place.
The rock musical is different however, plays are expected to be over the top as well as musicals. There's just different expectations when it comes to theater and a movie. Unless the movie is part musical, than that is different. From what was reported it doesn't sound like the production company has its sights on making the characters break out in song and dance.
Aere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

THis is what I have found about the situation.

"Kubo doesn't own Bleach, Shueisha (the parent company of Shonen Jump) owns it. Kubo has no say in what happens to any spin off projects (like the anime, movies, video games, toys), the only thing that Kubo has direct control over is the manga itself (which is why I always say that nothing but the manga and databooks actually written by Kubo are canon). Shueisha sold the North American rights to VIZ Media. So the only people that have to approve any movie licensing deals in the US is VIZ Media. Kubo has no say in what VIZ does with the Bleach franchise in North America."

Which is unfortunate, because Kubo probably isn't thrilled about it. This is what I found from his twitter:

シカトで通そうと思ってたけど、結構関連ツイートが増えてきたので書いときます。映画の件ですが、随分前から話はあります。が、今まで何も発言していない ことから分かる通り、何も言えません。公式発表を待ってください。ご理解お願いします。以降、この件に関して一切発言する事はありません。

"""I was thinking of ignoring or overlooking this matter, but there's been an increase of tweets about it, so I'll write down (what I think). The matter in question is a movie, but there've been discussions going on since much earlier. From what I understand, though - since there has been no talk about it yet - I can't say anything. Please await the official announcement. I trust you'll understand the situation. From now on, there won't be any talking about this matter here."""

[Sigh] As a fan I'm not too thrilled about it either.
ssj4152

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So when people die, instead of going to a feudal Japanese village, will they go to an American shopping mall?

yo, my name is ichigo, but i'm not japanese, i'm american with a japanese name because i'm a weaboo, just like goku in DBE. and everyone around me is yellow, but i'm white, that's why i'm the chosen one, because my daddy warner brothers said so.
I go to american school, and i'm the american death god that serves jesus, and the hollows are the devil's servant, i fight for christian, not for the japanese fairy tale
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the twitter information. As Dorcas previously said, if it was monetary gain on Tite Kubo’s part, I’d have no problem. There’s nothing wrong with profiting off of your creation. The idea that they would make it without his permission in that way, however, is a horrifying thought. It makes me really loose any faith I had in the project still. However, I know there are a lot of similar projects in the works as well, like the Akira and Robotech films. Not to say I have a lot of faith in them either. No offense meant of course!
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
slickwolfie wrote:
Everyone keeps bashing American made live action anime, but has anyone seen Transformers?
Slick

^And that.

I wonder why anime fanboys always forget about Transformers. Those movies ended up amazing. Imagine what live-action Gundam would be like? But you know Anime fanboys, and their sense of entitlement... Rolling Eyes

Bleach has the type of story that could very easy be adapted into an American film, unlike Naruto or Dragonball.

I actually really want to see a Gundam Live-action after watching transformers. Razz
austinite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
I would be delighted and overjoyed if someone with a background in black magic to put a grisly curse promising agonizing death on anyone from corporate Hollywood who tries to adapt Bleach into a live action movie. I sincerely believe if a Bleach movie had to be done, it is best done in native Japan by maybe someone like Takashi Miike, Ryuhei Kitamura, or Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Stop the white-washing hollywood. I weep for Tite Kubo.
Xingster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
God, Anime fanboys seriously annoy me. Automatically comparing this to DBE when it's being done by a completely different company. 20th Century Fox (DBE) is notorious for making crappy adaption movies. See Street Fighter, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, and Percy Jackson.

Warner Brothers, on the other hand, has The Dark Knight, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings under its belt. So yeah.

Yeah... i dont see how ANY of that has to do with EASTERN content. Harry Potter movies make a lot, but they're generally considered inferior to the books. And i dont think that a Bleach Live Action movie is going to have a budget of over 40mil.

Batman, Harry Potter, and LOTR are all WESTERN.
Anime is EASTERN. Two completely different types of content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11