• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers in Film Talks for Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Cue a hundred pissed off replies that repeat the exact same thing from their preceding replies...
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Everyone keeps bashing American made live action anime, but has anyone seen Transformers?
Slick
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
There are so many better and more easily-Westernised Anime out there. Why oh why would anyone go with Bleach? Because it's popular? Well, I've got news for those people who think it is; it isn't. Not among mainstream American viewers, who are far more important than a niche audience. Since its popularity amongst Anime fans will be of little consequence, very few mainstream viewers are going to be able to tell the difference between it and other contenders. So why not choose a story which is actually good? Why not give Peter Jackson all the money he wants and needs and get him to produce (the director could be someone else) the adaptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion? There are many many many great stories in Anime's back catalogue; after the disaster of Dragonball: Evolution and the lacklustre performance of Speed Racer, why go with something like Bleach?

Sigh.

No use getting angry about it. I mean, years of Hollywood screwups should have indoctrinated me against all this crap.

Doublesigh.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
33%

Average rating that movie critics gave Dragonball:E (13%), Speed Racer (37%), and Astro Boy (48%); according to rottentomtoes.com

$24.3 million is the average domestic gross of these three (neither of them came close to earning back their production budgets)

and yet, they keep trying.

*I am shocked that Bleach would come before a Naruto movie though
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
DieHardBleachFan wrote:
Uh, wow.

All I can say is that this has disaster written all over it.

The thread, you mean?
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
They are working to acquire the rights for Bleach. Does not mean it will ever see the light of day. There is a long road from here to a film being shown on a screen. I cannot even imagine all the hurdles in getting this adjusted for a wide audience. Then getting Japan to agree on everything. Don't envy the guy or gal that gets that job. Heck, we could even get an I Robot version where it's Bleach in name only.

My guess is a lot of studios are going to acquire rights to various popular properties just in case there is an actual Anime adaptation blockbuster. Then they can get their adaptation out to ride that wave.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
This is the second headline in the last few days that made me double check the date. (I usually fall for fake April Fool's news because I don't realize what day it is.)

Alas! Only the 22nd.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Nick Simmons will suddenly gain a newfound interest in filmmaking after this is released.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Wait, Nick Simmons got his Detergent Magma adapted by Hollywood?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Animegeek86 wrote:
Shocked Ok lets look at this.

1. Bleach is one of the most popular franchise there is, so I guess they are trying to broaden that out. Confused
2. The last time someone tried to do something like this was with dragonball:evolution. Mad BIG mistake.
3. ARe they going to keep it close to the manga or just butcher it all up and stain us animegeeks forever in our mids. Question
4. Will the creator of the Bleach manga apporve of this? Neutral

Toriyama approved Dragon Ball Evolution.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
They are working to acquire the rights for Bleach. Does not mean it will ever see the light of day. There is a long road from here to a film being shown on a screen. I cannot even imagine all the hurdles in getting this adjusted for a wide audience. Then getting Japan to agree on everything. Don't envy the guy or gal that gets that job..

Well I for one hope that the American Adaptation of Bleach never see's the light of day. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for wanting to make Anime more mainstream but... so far every American Adaptation of an Anime series and/or manga has flopped. I wish I could be more optimistic about this but as most of you already pointed out, Hollywood is either running out of ideas and/or they're just out to make some cash(no surprise there), I really doubt they're out to make the film because they love the mange/series. But hey, that's just my 2 cents. Anime smile + sweatdrop
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Wow warner brothers really loves to stir up hell fire, don't they. Good or bad this is gonna be a big fat mess imo
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
WTF?! This movie is so gonna suck, but yet I have a feeling I'll probably end up watching this movie somehow just because it has Bleach in the Movie Title.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
lol.... wow, just....

Really? Seriously? While I think majority of everyone, including myself can say it most likely/probably won't turn out very well. I still actually want this to happen if only to see how they would go about doing it. But yea, big noooooo..... Seems like a good idea at first but....

And like someone said before, DN makes much more sense. I've been wondering whats still going on with that one. But Bleach? Unless they do, as someone else said before me, stick with just the hollow part and not really go too much into the actual story (which probably wouldn't happen they'd probably just change everything anyways) Then maybe I could see it happening. Ofcourse it'd then just end up being another 'guy-fighting-supernatural' movies and well, what would be the whole reason for it being Bleach then? I dunno, I like Bleach, but no.... can't see this actually happening and turning out decent. Unless they learn from DB:E. Though here's hoping they do and it does.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
I officially wish warner brothers would go away. Why cant they just leave manga alone?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11