• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Adds Toei's Tai Chi Chasers Fantasy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
It's also a mistake in the original PR from 4Kids, but they licensed and premiered Dinosaur King in 2007.
sdhd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Too bad. Shugo Chara would be a seller for 4Kids. All those fan girls from ages 4-13 would bring in money on Shugo Chara toys and dvds. The anime is a magical show. It would do well with little kids.

American TV is very strict where children are concern. TV stations do not want to be sued so 4Kids would have to do major editing if they want to show it on TV. American children could care less about the unedited version at the age of 4 until they reached their teens years if they are still into cartoons.

Anime fans need to give 4Kids a break. The anime fans are not the targeted audience. The majority of anime fans are frugal where anime dvds sales are concern. It is obvious that the majority of anime fans refuses to understand what 4Kids is about. The majority of anime fans should be somewhat understanding that 4Kids is trying to target a younger audience to watch Japanese cartoon (anime). This bring in more revenue and increase the awareness of Japanese cartoon to American kids and their parents who are ones doing the buying for their children.

Last edited by sdhd on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm; edited 7 times in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
THANK GOD THEY DIDN'T GET SHUGO CHARA. *breathes a sigh of relief*

I would have cried if they did. Shugo Chara should be left untouched by someone like 4Kids.

same here.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I never heard of Tai Chi Chasers, but that'll be a good thing if they licensed something that's not widely known to us American Otakus.

I'm not remotely interested in checking it out once it's in America, cause luckily I'm too busy watching 10 anime series(some I won't mention cause I want to avoid hearing spoilers).

But I'll be looking forward in seeing if this Tai Chi Chasers will get 4Kids out of hot water or not. I just hope it won't become a turn down like the editted F-Zero anime. One of these days I like to watch that one in it's original format.
Everminde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the relief about it not being Shugo Chara? You can't ruin something that ruined itself. Party killed any magic the show had beforehand.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, Tai Chi Chasers sounds like some sort of alcoholic drink to me. Oh well, another 22 minute toy commercial so I could care less what 4Kids does to it.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I see so many people thinking that 4Kids might get Shugo Chara. Shoujo series have done horrible for them. Both Tokyo MewMew & Doremi were failures in 4Kids' eyes, & on top of that they chose to let their license of PreCure lapse without ever dubbing it. Why gamble on it again?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
"4Kids needs to return to its roots as a licensing and merchandising company [that] specializes in bringing wonderful money-making programming and merchandising to the rest of the world so we can make money."

Dude, that's implicit in the goals for any corporation.

Now, SOME messing with it is probably going to be necessary to be able to broadcast it in an afternoon timeslot. Question is how far they're going to go above and beyond that, and how much they respect their audience. I don't mean anime fans, I mean kids. Kids know what guns are, they know people have blood on the inside, they know people die if they're killed, they know not everyone lives in America, and they're capable of handling a lot more than a lot of people give them credit for.

I mean, come on. Japanese kids watch Case Closed and One Piece all the time. What, we gonna say American kids aren't as tough as them? Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Well, then. Curious to see how it turns out. Thankfully that's something unknown to me, and won't really matter if it's butchered.

Well if they butchered it Shaman King style, hell yea you'l have to worry. But if the scripy is similar to pokemon, then i'll have no worry cause that series was the only series they actually did really really well with from season 1-8 , Especially when it comes with the 8th Movie Myuu to Hadou no Yuusha (Lucario & the Mystery Of Mew)

Other than that, their other series are diasters except for yugioh as well as GX and 5D's which is not too bad but not too good either.

Hopefully when this series is out in Japan , it's script will be similar to pokemon or bakguan. Cause if not, let the hacking and heaving editing begin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote

Never heard of it, whatever. Plus, I doubt this will turn into the cash cow "Al About the Benjamins" Kahn expects it to be.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
I never heard of Tai Chi Chasers, but that'll be a good thing if they licensed something that's not widely known to us American Otakus.

It was announced back in November 2006, and Moon Phase has it on the anime list for a long time. As far as I know it has not been aired in Japan yet.

E-Master wrote:
But I'll be looking forward in seeing if this Tai Chi Chasers will get 4Kids out of hot water or not. I just hope it won't become a turn down like the editted F-Zero anime. One of these days I like to watch that one in it's original format.

I seriously doubt this title can be popular outside countries using CJK(V) character sets. Tell me how many characters you recognize from the original text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Too bad. Shugo Chara would be a seller for 4Kids. All those fan girls from ages 4-13 would bring in money on Shugo Chara toys and dvds. The anime is a magical show. It would do well with little kids.

American TV is very strict where children are concern. TV stations do not want to be sued so 4Kids would have to do major editing if they want to show it on TV. American children could careless about the unedited version at the age of 4 until they reached their teens years if they are still into cartoons.

Anime fans need to give 4Kids a break. The anime fans are not the targeted audience. The majority of anime fans are frugal where anime dvds sales are concern. It is obvious that the majority of anime fans refuses to understand what 4Kids is about. The majority of anime fans should be somewhat understanding that 4Kids is trying to target a younger audience to watch Japanese cartoon (anime). This bring in more revenue and increase the awareness of Japanese cartoon to American kids and their parents who are ones doing the buying for their children.

I agree, at lest they are bringing anime to TV and getting the young hooked. However, I still have to say that some edits are badly done or unnecessary. Just look at some of the changes they did on One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EspyLacopa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
Explain to me again how this is 'wonderful Japanese programming' when this show is Korean?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it's right up 4Kids' ally.

Now, though I do dislike their edits, I understand that I'm not their target audience. Young children are. And, while it'd be great to see them release unedited DVDs, the primary goal of making money (note: every company's goal, even if the people there are truly invested in what they produce) is more important than airing a show later at night so a small group can watch it. If anything, 4Kids can at least get people interested at a young age, until they eventually grow up a bit and watch unedited stuff that's aimed at older children/teens and adults.

EspyLacopa wrote:
Explain to me again how this is 'wonderful Japanese programming' when this show is Korean?

Well, it was co-produced, and that happens a bit...Not to mention a great chunk of shows are animated in Korea.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
4kids is obviously missing on a golden opportunity.

Disney just recently canned production on Power Rangers and have gone "back in time" to the beginning. I say 4Kids could take over production of the PR series and sub-license it back to Disney. Heck, doesn't Toei have that Metal Hero Series in the archives?? I know VR Troopers went thru like 2 series and Big Bad Bettleborgs/Beetleborgs Metallix went thru 2 as well, so theirs at least a few shows they can re-adapt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4