• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Volume: 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Geez didn't know SAO was so godly.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

. I guess I was under the impression that "light novels" fell somewhare in between "novels" and "manga", since I've seen discussions about the art in "light novel" series. It gave me the impression that there was more art in them. It is very confusing what counts as novels vs. light novels in Japan and how they are differentiated from each other. Confused

Light novels only have a handful to a double handful of illustrations withing them. They're aren't some sort of weird blend of manga and printed words since they don't really have that many images. You might want to google one of the more popular ones and take a look at one, since I won't link to the stupid moon site here.

They're really similar to some of the older English language novels. Short, but with a few drawings through in for flavor. Kinda like Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone with a picture thrown in every two or three chapters for service.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

They're really similar to some of the older English language novels. Short, but with a few drawings through in for flavor. Kinda like Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone with a picture thrown in every two or three chapters for service.

So ya could read 'em as quickly too? Laughing

(I remember when everybody was doing that for Harry Potter.)
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
誤称 wrote:

So ya could read 'em as quickly too? Laughing

(I remember when everybody was doing that for Harry Potter.)

I finished the 9th Campione! LN the other night in roughly two hours. My Kindle says that 10th novel has about 550 pages as displayed by the browser from the website which shall not be named. They aren't hard reads. Most light novels are about as difficult to read and as thick as say a Star Trek or other pulp science fiction/fantasy book. I do read pretty fast though so your mileage may vary. I know that the novels released in America so far have been about as thick as your average manga volume when printed on the same size paper, for example I mixed up the Karin novels with the manga cause they were so similar in size and packaging when Tokyopop printed them. I don't have the same problem with some of the other novels though. The Kieli novels are in bigger sized books than the manga for the same story if I remember right.

Wikipedia has a list of light novels here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_novels

And an example of the artwork from the Sword Art Online novels is here: http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Asada_Shino I believe that is one of the insert pieces from the fifth or sixth novels used to illustrate what Shino looks like. (Major SAO spoilers on that page for the third arc, btw.)

Btw: in case we're not supposed to link to wikias, I apologize ahead of time. I'm trying hard not to link to anything that like a fan-sub/scan/translation site. Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ASCII Media Works is absolutely destroying Media Factory. Infinite Stratos' disappearance is definitely notable.

There is no new IS 1.5 years now.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
...Most light novels are about as difficult to read and as thick as say a Star Trek or other pulp science fiction/fantasy book. I do read pretty fast though so your mileage may vary. I know that the novels released in America so far have been about as thick as your average manga volume when printed on the same size paper, for example I mixed up the Karin novels with the manga cause they were so similar in size and packaging when Tokyopop printed them. I don't have the same problem with some of the other novels though. The Kieli novels are in bigger sized books than the manga for the same story if I remember right.

Wikipedia has a list of light novels here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_novels

And an example of the artwork from the Sword Art Online novels is here: http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Asada_Shino I believe that is one of the insert pieces from the fifth or sixth novels used to illustrate what Shino looks like. (Major SAO spoilers on that page for the third arc, btw.)

Btw: in case we're not supposed to link to wikias, I apologize ahead of time. I'm trying hard not to link to anything that like a fan-sub/scan/translation site. Very Happy

Thank you for this and the links. It really helped to clarify things for me.

Basically, they serve the same purpose as what is called "YA novels" over here. However, it was interesting to find out that they also have a unique writing style that is language specific, and is probably totally lost when translated into any other language. Interesting to know.

Also, by looking at the list you provided, I realized that I have quite a few of the examples listed. Very surprised by this, since I had always thought these books were just novels.... (!)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I wish there was a larger market for LNs over here in the west, I'd love to read some of these. Sure, there's the anime, but I like to see the source.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Ugh. I wish there was a larger market for LNs over here in the west, I'd love to read some of these. Sure, there's the anime, but I like to see the source.

Well, depends on the type of LNs. If it's "otaku LNs," by definition that's already niche and thus aren't for a larger market. If it's the type of LNs that's the equivalent of YA novels in the West, then there's a chance.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
In Light Novel Perfect Book, Mimura Mii, who is a writer on light novels, wrote that light novels had originated in Otaku culture.
So light novels and Otaku culture are closely related.

As to Hyōka, it had been published under a light novel imprint of Kadokawa, and later it was re-released under the regular Kadokawa Bunko imprint.

dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Saffire wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
So you are stating that ALL light novels are aimed at otaku? Well, I guess that is why we don't see them in print over here.
There is a significant segment of light novels that are specifically aimed at otaku, but there's more to them than that. For example, I think there's five light novels currently being printed in English, and only two (Haruhi and Spice & Wolf) that are well known in anime fandom. Maybe Vampire Hunter D? Not sure if people still remember that. Book Girl and Kieli definitely aren't though.

I have some of those Vampire Hunter D volumes. The ones I have don't have a lot in the way of illustration. mybe four black an white plates throughout the entire book. They read kind of like "novel"-novels.

I've heard that Saiunkoku Monogatari are a "novel" series, much like The Twelve Kingdoms and the Moribito books. Those last two titles, which I own, seem an awful lot like most "novels" to me. minimal illustration. I guess I was under the impression that "light novels" fell somewhare in between "novels" and "manga", since I've seen discussions about the art in "light novel" series. It gave me the impression that there was more art in them. It is very confusing what counts as novels vs. light novels in Japan and how they are differentiated from each other. Confused

Light novels are the equivalent of direct-to-trade-paperback stateside. That doesn't mean they are all bad, but they do often cater to niche audiences. In fact, one of the most prolific literary authors of all time wrote a 130 volume LN series called Guin Saga before her untimely death in 2008. It truly is an epic high fantasy tale that simply puts most of the rubbish on this list to shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2