• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Unfashionable American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
This is clearly the best update so far. It has cats <3

The yaoi part was very funny, too. Wonder what was going through the customers' heads...
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
kailegh wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Yuri, however... ;3

Ohoho so you’d swing that way for Juri, eh? :}

Gee, let me think... Hell Yeah! I'm already a lesbian trapped in man's body, so... I don't see the problem. LOL!

past wrote:
Sure Cowboy Bebop was impressive during it's time and set standards in the same way that Evangelion did but it's from a bygone era of anime. Anime in Japan seems to be a lot like women's fashion trends here. It's not cool to be a fan of Gurren Lagann, when there's something newer and hotter.

Then, they are A) Idiots and B) Too Damned Fickle.

Blood wrote:
Y'all probably would have made the gals feel more comfortable if you had started smooching and being all lovey-dovey with each other. Jes' sayin'. Laughing

Yeah, if they happened to look like Adam Lambert and put on a "floor show."

Mohawk52 wrote:
vinamara wrote:
Girls go ga ga after gaijin especially those with blond hair and blue eyes. At least that's what we see in the anime
Well seeing as mostly everything in anime is real, that has to be true. Wink

Sooo... Japan really is overrun by tentacle monsters with an penchant for rape? Giant robots piloted by teenage boys who work for a shadowy Military-Industrial company with questionable motives? Legions of ridiculously beautiful, capable and intelligent women/girls with impossibly low standards for milquetoast men/boys, who also don't mind polyamory?

I guess I better book my ticket for Japan on the next Cat Bus.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I guess I better book my ticket for Japan on the next Cat Bus.
I booked the whole furry back seat already mate. Wink
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
However, real gay men in Japan read what is called Man Love, written by gay men for gay men. From what I understand, Man Love shows a more realistic relationship between two real gay men, rather than a fantasy relationship between two men who are supposed to be gay.

And where, pray tell, can you find this more realistic and much more interesting-sounding material?

I take it you're interested in Man Love? I wish I knew where to get some! So far, I have only heard about Man Love, and as weird as this may sound, I would like to read Man Love. I'm sick of the shojo-esque shonen ai, I want something more...seinen/josei I guess. I am unaware if any Man Love that has been translated, but perhaps there is some available somewhere. I'm keeping an eye out. Wink
crilix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Woah, a bunny cafe. *__*
rabrek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When we showed up it was around mid-afternoon on a surprisingly brisk day and so naturally it was pretty much naptime inside.

Regarding the cat cafe... I'd note that cats sleep 13-16 hours a day, which would seem to stack the odds against the average customer getting much one-on-one interaction. I wonder if there are any rules against anointing oneself with a catnip rub or a few drops of eau de tuna. Or carrying a can opener. The very sight of a can opener sends my cats over the edge.

Last edited by rabrek on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I take it you're interested in Man Love? I wish I knew where to get some! So far, I have only heard about Man Love, and as weird as this may sound, I would like to read Man Love. I'm sick of the shojo-esque shonen ai, I want something more...seinen/josei I guess. I am unaware if any Man Love that has been translated, but perhaps there is some available somewhere. I'm keeping an eye out. Wink

Exactly! I want the male version of Octave! Plus, some of my favorite yuri work is what's written by actual lesbians (see: Honey & Honey). Maybe it has something to do with how my love of anime grew out of an interest in Japanese culture (and not the other way around), but I'd rather know what it's really like to be gay in Japan, or how gay culture plays out, than whatever daydreams fujoshi come up with. I mean seriously, with half of the BL titles, the uke might as well be a girl given how he's drawn. It's total female fantasy.
liko-2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Day four is definitely my favorite posting now. Hooray for kitties! It's amazing what can become a lucrative business in Japan. I doubt that something like a "cat cafe" would work in America. At least it wouldn't after the initial novelty wore off. And yes Zac, you should have heeded the warning of the Hetalia coffee machine, but I'm glad you didn't or else we wouldn't have to gotten to see those great pictures. Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

Exactly! I want the male version of Octave! Plus, some of my favorite yuri work is what's written by actual lesbians (see: Honey & Honey). Maybe it has something to do with how my love of anime grew out of an interest in Japanese culture (and not the other way around), but I'd rather know what it's really like to be gay in Japan, or how gay culture plays out, than whatever daydreams fujoshi come up with. I mean seriously, with half of the BL titles, the uke might as well be a girl given how he's drawn. It's total female fantasy.
We need a thread dedicated to this, but I am at a loss how to word it. I'm rather biased towards those girly looking guys (whether or not they are gay). So if you have an objective perspective on homosexuality in manga, but interested in learning more about it, go ahead and make a thread about it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
.... So if you have an objective perspective on homosexuality in manga, but interested in learning more about it, go ahead and make a thread about it.
But over in the Manga section, not here in Talkback. Wink
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This is... without a doubt, one of the funniest reports I have ever read.

vashfanatic wrote:
Ikebukuro = want to go, not for the yaoi but for the equally otaku reason of "it's where DRRR!! takes place." Hell, I recognize some of the buildings.

Same here, acutally. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Past wrote:
.... So if you have an objective perspective on homosexuality in manga, but interested in learning more about it, go ahead and make a thread about it.
But over in the Manga section, not here in Talkback. Wink
Indeed. I would call it "of traps, bishounen and the guys (and girls) who love them" or something like that, but more appropriately it should be "Yaoi and gay manga an intelligent critique." What do you think?
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

I agree. It's all daydreams by fujoshi. Like you said, total female fantasy. I too am interested in how it's really like to be gay in Japan.

Quote:
Indeed. I would call it "of traps, bishounen and the guys (and girls) who love them" or something like that, but more appropriately it should be "Yaoi and gay manga an intelligent critique." What do you think?

I think it's a good idea, but the title should be re-worded to sound more serious. Something like "Man Love: What's it like to be gay (for real) in Japan?" I wouldn't use the term yaoi, as yaoi is actually an acronym, plus it will attract fujoshi who may not take that stuff seriously, in other words, they may not treat it like a critique.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It needs to have the word manga in it though. How about. "Reflections of real-life gay romance through manga"? No need to specify it pertains to RL Japan. Most manga are automatically assumed to take place in Japan, and I wouldn't want to exclude depictions of gay relationships in other countries. But I agree there needs to be a way to discourage over-ecstatic responses and fujoshi fangirling. That can be worded into the initial post.

Sorry for going off on this tangent in this thread. I wonder if it is normal to occasionally see a guy casually browsing those BL manga stores and not get weird looks or bad vibes from the usual clientele.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
i wish there were more like it in the future!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13