• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Unfashionable American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
I'm pretty sure I saw one of my buddies wearing a T-shirt with that "The Killers" thing when I when to Japan last year. It made my American brethren jealous.

Does it say "The Killers" or "The Killer 5?" I lean toward the latter.
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
That "See!! This is exactly why I said we should eat here!" sign is amazing.
$70? For three episodes of Chu-Bra? That's horrendous, I wouldn't even pay that much for Durarara.
Also, I'd totally but that No-Face figure.

Loved all the photos and the commentary was hilarious, thanks for posting this. I look forward to the next installment!
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to these things. Can't wait for the next part.

Question though, what building is that with the tubes?

Please tell me there are giant motorized hamsters that move around in there.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
That "See!! This is exactly why I said we should eat here!" sign is amazing.
$70? For three episodes of Chu-Bra? That's horrendous, I wouldn't even pay that much for Durarara.
Also, I'd totally but that No-Face figure.

Isn't that pre street date?
$65 per disk is normal for regular editions around $85 for limited. That's with 2/3 eps per disk maybe 4 if 26 ep.

It's the US that has the messed up DVD prices, there's a reason publishers get so worried about parallel imports.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
SuzuS777 wrote:

the strange one is the third step: it says [akiba ekimae ten] and that is suppose to mean something like [store before akiba station]

Strange? That seems to me to be a natural label for a branch store for the area in front of Akiba station.

On another line of discussion, the doll heads look like the "dollfie" - style asian ball-jointed dolls. Perhaps they are kind of creepy, especially if you watch the right sorts of anime, but nothing explicitly sexual.

And tobacco and salt go together because there was a government monopoly on them, as a source of revenue. Just like if there were a museum of alcohol, tobacco, and firearms in the US.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, E-Tank energy drinks Very Happy
Stefnick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

On another line of discussion, the doll heads look like the "dollfie" - style asian ball-jointed dolls. Perhaps they are kind of creepy, especially if you watch the right sorts of anime, but nothing explicitly sexual.

Those aren't ball-jointed dolls, I know that much (they look too large for one), I'm pretty sure that they are heads for latex love dolls. Similar concept, you can change the way they look by buying clothes, different faces, different physique, and organize the look to you liking, but the end result is to pander to one personal fetishes.

Beside Zac said he saw them outside a sex store, so yeah, kinda explicitly sexual.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
OK. I took Zac as engaging in slight hyperbole, as he sometimes does, and didn't see much in the image to give a sense of scale.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I loved the random Ikebukuro picture in the middle of the Shibuya shots.

Might have looked like it, but it wasn't. We do plan on going to Ikebukuro, but we haven't been there yet. (not even passed through it on the train)
Seca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Looking at these photos make me miss Japan so much, even though it's only been a couple of months since I had to come back to the States.

From what I've learned the fashion trends in Tokyo are very different than the rest of the country. Everywhere else fashions are more lax in comparison.

Kinda surprised you didn't see anyone with babies as I would see that from time to time. Though it might be the time of day you're traveling.

I always found it amusing that even though those seats are supposed to be reserved for elderly/handicapped/pregnant women and those with small children just about anyone would sit in them. I only saw people actually get up for any of the above mentioned in the 9 months I was there.

Hey! Say! JUMP isn't like AKB48, as they're a part of Johnny's which means unlike Morning Musume and AKB48 once a group debuts they stick around for the long haul with members never changing though once in a blue moon one might leave. SMAP is a good example of this as I believe all the members are around their mid-30s at least and are still going strong after debuting back in 1991 without going on hiatus once, though they did have one member quit to pursue a different career.

With those prices it reminds me why I usually only bought DVDs at Book Offs when I was over there. Buying things second hand seemed like the only way those things could be affordable. And it helped that people just took good care of their things so even they were used they were in 'like new' condition.

But you should find one of the Burger Kings in Tokyo and check to see if they still have Bourbon Whoppers. They also let you order beer for a drink with a meal there, and they were advertising a special combo meal for after 5PM that only costs 500Yen which comes with alcohol to drink.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know they had a special K-On! edition of Hello Kitty. (Top right corner of K-On! window pic.)

Also, I think the Tobacco & Salt museum is quirky enough that it'd be the first thing I visit should I ever get to Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Always a treat reading these, Zac.

And I totally ignored the picture of the Avatar promo for the Heroes promo behind it.
Number Six

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ha-Ha! Hey, Zac, did they kick you out of the store with all the K-ON stuff (notice the little "no cameras" sign in the bottom right)? Very Happy
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That staircase is pretty creepy. Also haha. I hope they make more shows to make your soul hurt because that comment was hilarious.
Number Six

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Never having been to Japan, I don't know, but are there really "otaku" sex shops? How are they different from plain old regular sex shops, and are there other types of specialty sex shops? Pretty amazing if true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13