• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Requests Regarding ANN's Video Player

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was reading this article and I wanted to watch the videos embedded in it. But one thing that really annoyed me was the lack of a buffer progress bar. Basically, I like to buffer a video fully before playing it; it's just how I roll. But I could not tell how much each video had buffered without actually playing it and then it pausing and taking too long to get going again. It also means breaking up the video and therefore further negatively impacting on my watching experience.

So could a buffer progress bar please be inserted into the player? It would make it far easier for me to use and so I'd use it waaaay more often than I do now (hardly ever, unfortunately).

Also, I noticed that the video player really doesn't like it when I try and jump around. I missed a part so tried to go back to it, and the player basically threw a little fit and - after an annoying pause - insisted on reloading everything past the point at which I wanted to go to, even though it was already loaded. Good players like the one YouTube has, or even the one at the DesuDes Brigade, don't punish the viewer for wanting to skip around, so I am more than a little confused as to why ANN would invest in something so clearly (and unnecessarily) inferior.

So could ANN see about fixing the player so it will allow viewers to surf/jump/skip around the video?

Thanks.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It would make it far easier for me to use and so I'd use it waaaay more often than I do now (hardly ever, unfortunately).

Not to take away from the request, but why not download the video to watch it?

If you're using Firefox, there are plenty of add-ons to easily download them and many times, the download is faster than the streaming.

When you're done, delete them.

I am curious to know what episode you've tried to watch which didn't give a notification. Most have a progress bar display and the "gray" shading before the play mark is the buffer queue.

Unfortunately, for some odd reason, Flash players removed the ability to allow buffering on pause. Since most videos are offered as flv files, really not much that can be done with this other than the download.

Just offering advice here. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I am curious to know what episode you've tried to watch which didn't give a notification. Most have a progress bar display and the "gray" shading before the play mark is the buffer queue.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to watch the ANN TV videos embedded in the linked article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Not to take away from the request, but why not download the video to watch it?

If you're using Firefox, there are plenty of add-ons to easily download them and many times, the download is faster than the streaming.

Yes, I do have the latest version of downloadhelper (which I regularly use on those YouTube videos I intend to watch more than once). It didn't occur to me to use it in this instance, but that certainly doesn't mean it is a bad idea.

The only problem is that I just tried downloadhelper right this moment, but it doesn't seem to be able to see the videos on the page I linked to. Of course there are other ways to download an embedded video, one of which (that i know of) doesn't even require an add-on. I'll see if that works.

Of course, all of this would be unnecessary if I was happy with ANN's video player, but them's the breaks I guess.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'm pretty sure he was trying to watch the ANN TV videos embedded in the linked article.

And you'd be fairly completely correct.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

So could ANN see about fixing the player so it will allow viewers to surf/jump/skip around the video?

Thanks.

Just asking - Justin's the person who can answer your questions - but the longest video in that feature is something like a minute and a half. Most of them barely hit 30 seconds. I'm a little confused why you'd need to skip around that much in a 24 second video?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, I missed a part (someone spoke to me, I answered them, missed maybe ten seconds of video), and then wanted to watch what I had missed.

While a lot of the videos were under a minute this year, many videos on ANNTV are several minutes. I notice that there was even a sixty-one-minute long video last year. Skipping around would be really useful for videos of that length.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
When you can buffer a video before playing it (like youtube), that's called progressive download and typically it's done over http. What we're doing is video streaming (over rtmp) so at most there is a 10sec buffer to alleviate network irregularities. And the reason to use streaming is because the licensors wouldn't let us show their properties if we didn't ensure a minimum level of protection (i.e. you can't use downloadhelper).

As for jumping around the video, I experience no problem at all. I can jump to any point in the video with almost no delay in playback. What kind of connection do you have?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
When you can buffer a video before playing it (like youtube), that's called progressive download and typically it's done over http. What we're doing is video streaming (over rtmp) so at most there is a 10sec buffer to alleviate network irregularities.

So all those websites that offer "Anime streaming" are not actually streaming it somehow? Because I often have little trouble with whatever player they use. They let me buffer the episode fully, and I can skip around like Julie Andrews on a hilltop field in The Sound of Music. Anyway, you can see how one who doesn't know the finer technical details (like myself) would get mixed up.

Dan42 wrote:
As for jumping around the video, I experience no problem at all. I can jump to any point in the video with almost no delay in playback. What kind of connection do you have?

ADSL, but only a download speed of 256 kilobits per second (so what, thirty-two kilobytes per second?). I've already arranged with my ISP for me to get "full" speed, which will happen in two days. If my speed doubles I'll be impressed (I doubt it though, New Zealand is a veritable backwater).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. Ok, yeah, at 256kbps it might be problematic. Let's see what Justin has to say about this when he gets back from TAF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Is there any interest in using HTML5?

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
If 256Kb/s is a capped rate then they could just open it up or regrade you, but if by "full speed" they're talking about moving from fixed rate to RADSL then in some cases it can get worse. I used to have a friend out in Invercargill who had problems just staying online - on dialup. If you are on some sort of rate adaptive service then there are often things you can do your end to improve things, although I don't know anything about the specifics of the NZ telephone system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. 256 kbps barely qualifies as "broadband." I know you're in NZ and the broadband infrastructure over there is pretty sad. Sorry, but not much I can do about that.

The anime streaming sites you refer to must be pirate sites, because none of the legal sites use the cached HTML method that YouTube uses. It's too easy to copy the downloaded file out of your local cache and keep it permanently. (Heck, I can do that with nothing but an unmodified copy of Safari.) It's not an option for us either, I'm afraid.

Similarly, video over HTML5 is not an option for any professional/licensed content provider. There's no rip protection at all, and even the browsers themselves don't support the same codecs. (Firefox doesn't support h.264 at all due to licensing incompatibilities.) The spec shows promise, but it's not a workable solution yet.

Flash isn't perfect, but player v10.1 beta adds GPU decoding, so even most netbooks can now play HQ video. I understand some people don't like it, but from the point of view of a content provider, nothing else comes close.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The anime streaming sites you refer to must be pirate sites, because none of the legal sites use the cached HTML method that YouTube uses.

I could swear that I just watched a fully legal video from Funimation on YouTube. Wink

jsevakis wrote:
Flash isn't perfect, but player v10.1 beta adds GPU decoding, so even most netbooks can now play HQ video.

Most netbooks can suddenly play HQ video in Flash? That sounds like a bit of an overstatement to me. Or does HQ refer to anything over 360p? Many netbooks and notebooks don't have fully supported chips that would allow GPU offloading last time I checked and my MBP doesn't benefit at all as of yet. It chokes like crazy on Flash even though it's no slouch with virtually any other program I use. Not to mention that the battery drains about 5x as fast when running Flash, even when nothing else is running. I tend to think of Steve Jobs as a bit of an arrogant hypocrite, but in this one area we certainly agree. Adobe has owned the streaming market for long enough and it's just about time that Flash has got to go.

jsevakis wrote:
I understand some people don't like it, but from the point of view of a content provider, nothing else comes close.

Not even Silverlight? Netflix seems to be happy with it and there's far fewer hiccups and the battery drain is much improved.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I just watched a fully legal video from Funimation on YouTube. Wink

Yeah, it's insane that YouTube gets away with it but nobody else can. Corporate groupthink makes it somehow allowable. Rolling Eyes

daxomni wrote:
Most netbooks can suddenly play HD in Flash? That sounds like a bit of an overstatement to me. Many netbooks don't have fully supported chips that would allow GPU offloading and my MBP doesn't benefit at all the last time I checked. It chokes like crazy even though it's no slouch with virtually any other program I use. Not to mention that the battery drains about 5x as fast when running Flash. I tend to think of Steve Jobs as a bit of an arrogant prick, but in this one area we certainly agree. Adobe has owned the streaming market for long enough and it's just about time that Flash has got to go.

As a fellow Mac user, I agree the Mac version of Flash is not great. Do try the 10.1b3 upgrade though -- while not as fast as the Windows version, I got quite a nice performance boost out of it. My ancient Macbook now can play 720p videos without hiccups. Engadget reported being able to do 1080p in Windows on some netbooks. It's really quite a big upgrade for video.

I will always consider alternatives as they become available. So far, none yet have the combination of features and cross-platform compatibility it would take.

daxomni wrote:
Not even Silverlight? Netflix seems to be happy with it and there's far fewer hiccups and the battery drain is much improved.

It's pretty close, but not there yet. The improved battery life might be because Netflix is using Microsoft's VC1 codec, which is far less CPU intensive to decode (but far less efficient -- SD Netflix streams cap out at 2 MBPS!). The Mac version isn't particularly stable (I've had Netflix kill Safari more than a few times on me), and there's no Linux version at all, which is pretty essential on a site that caters to nerds. Its limited install base is also a pretty major impediment, believe it or not. Many people can't/don't want to install a new plugin. Netflix uses it because Windows Media DRM encryption is the only licensable content protection platform endorsed by the MPAA, and therefore the only streaming technology allowable by major hollywood studios.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how much of a boost netbooks with intel's GMA950 integrated graphics will see, but it will certainly help any based on nvidia's ION.
Beta 3 has at least made 720p videos on Crunchyroll watchable on my Asus Timeline (which is not a netbook but only has a single core SU3500). Previous betas didn't work so well for me since not only did they fullscreen on the wrong window in any browser using the plugin (e.g. Chrome and Firefox) but also made video extremely blocky using both the plugin and activex in IE. There are still bugs with beta 3 - in particular controls are really sluggish, especially after switching to fullscreen on Crunchy and Youtube, but I do appreciate getting to watch Durarara! in the best quality legally available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1