• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Fans and Stereotypes of the anime fan.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
What I don't like is the anime fan than is starting to disconnect from reality. The ones that would blow all of their parent's and their own saving to blow it all on a trip to Japan instead of going to college. That's just ridiculous, your FUTURE is more important than anime. Other similarities include not eating so they can save breakfast and lunch money for manga, pawning important possessions, etc. That's just pathetic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
I have ever only been to one anime con in my life, and after hearing the stories (and seeing some pictures) of the more obnoxious/hideous side of our fandom, perhaps I should be glad.

MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
Then there's the fun fan that mixes Japanese into sentences loves pocky and other japanese confections.

I can't STAND those people. Yes, Asian candy and snacks are fun, and have a novelty value of those unfamiliar with it, but they are not the ambrosia of the gods, get the hell over it. I can't take it when these fans are always talking about pocky just because its Japanese. OMG, POCKY IS SOO AWESOME, I LOVE ANIME AND EAT POCKY LOL! Wow, I've had pocky since I was little, it's a freakin' stick with chocolate on it. Also these Pocky-fiends tend to be in the same ballpark with another group of fans that make me cringe just from seeing pictures of them on Fan's View: cosplayers/noncosplayers with SIGNS. They are absolutely embarrassing. The signs are usually some desperate cry for attention, like "Free glomps" or "I'm a bishie, touch me" or "Will glomp for pocky." I see them and I die a little.

Also, the anti-fans are an interesting group and are quite rampant on this board, actually. They can't wait to jump on anyone who complains about an anime title getting picked up. Many of them act as if they don't like anime, usually pointing out how lousy anime is. Maybe they just love being devil's advocates or have been driven to insanity by uber-elitest-disgusting fans.. I suppose I don't blame them, but I think they can be a bit extreme sometimes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Also, the anti-fans are an interesting group and are quite rampant on this board, actually.

Oh dear... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Jadress wrote:
They can't wait to jump on anyone who complains about an anime title getting picked up.

Normally I personally try to veer away from this, but it can't be helped that many of the people who complain about it on here do so for reasons that completely defy logic. "Big, bad corporate greed," "they'll take away my illegal copies," "sellout professional translators are inferior to first-year college student fansubbers," "<highly reputable company or television network without a history of it> will completely butcher the show," etc. Can't really help but back up the likes of Bandai or Geneon against these sorts of "reasons."

Jadress wrote:
Many of them act as if they don't like anime, usually pointing out how lousy anime is.

Personally, I absolutely adore anime and consider it to be an overall excellent aspect of the worldwide animation industry. But I'm not going to pretend like it's absolutely perfect or on some higher plane of superiority "just because it's Japanese" or whatever (the Pocky example you came up with is very analogous). It's animation on the same mortal level as any other country's work, and experiences a proportionally similar amount of highs & lows. If a show has great visuals, it has great visuals, but if it looks bad I don't think I need to pretend I don't see it. Same thing with writing or voice acting. The reason I personally have been pointing out the flaws more than the merits on here as of late is precisely because of the people that do treat it like it's infallible (again, akin to the "Pocky crowd") having to make themselves heard over a couple recent articles (trust me, I reeeally don't like having to take something like Boogiepop Phantom—one of my all-time favourite shows in general—and saying it actually has really lackluster animation compared to other non-Japanese titles from around the same time, but it's also not good in my opinion to let the inherent-anime-superiority idea permeate unopposed...). Anime's wonderful stuff, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all that's never had a bad title "unlike that crappy, corporate, unartistic trash American stuff."

Jadress wrote:
but I think they can be a bit extreme sometimes...

I do admit I got a bit overzealous at times, but again it irks me when people over-inflate anime's "omg gr8ness" or get overzealous themselves about how "bad" licensing is. I try to be more of a fan than an anti-fan, but at times it really can't be helped I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Also, the anti-fans are an interesting group and are quite rampant on this board, actually. They can't wait to jump on anyone who complains about an anime title getting picked up. Many of them act as if they don't like anime, usually pointing out how lousy anime is. Maybe they just love being devil's advocates or have been driven to insanity by uber-elitest-disgusting fans.. I suppose I don't blame them, but I think they can be a bit extreme sometimes...

About those anti-anime fans, I think it would be more accurate to say anti-subset-of-anime fans. I think that pretty much everyone here considers him/herself an anime fan, but it's true that a lot of people also hate a specific subset of anime fandom. Anti-harem, anti-lolicon, anti-shounen, anti-hentai, anti-DBZ, anti-fansub, anti-TV, anti-whatever. Those anti-[XYZ] people seem to believe that those who like [XYZ] should not be considered as "true" anime fans but merely an undesirable element of anime fandom.

Sometimes I can be a bit guilty of anti-bishoujo and anti-shounen behavior, but I try to control it by telling myself that those people are entitled to their own tastes as much as I am to mine, and it doesn't make them any lesser anime fans.

Overall it's just better and more healthy to define yourself by what you like rather than what you dislike.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
I think people that have problems with Show X getting liecensed is really becasue they can't say "I got this show and it's not out in the us yet but it's so awesome you gotta check the fan sub out"
then it gets pick up and they feel their unliecensed show isn't cool anymore. I was kind of down when Tsikihime was picked up I thought it wouldn't come out here.

Now if Funimation would hurry up with Gunslinger girls and Samurai 7.

Every one of my Fansubs have been picked up I use them as a resource as to weither or not I'll actually buy the show.

As I said ealier EVA fans tend to be their own sub group. Most Eva fans I've seen have issues or suffer from depression or something to that degree. I have a Personal connection to EVA as I had a depressive bout simular to what Asuka went though (so I guess you could toss me in that sub group) although I don't know any EVA fans that JUST watch Eva I do know of a guy in like sweeden who watches at least one episode of Eva Daily.
Theowne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
"I got this show and it's not out in the us yet but it's so awesome you gotta check the fan sub out"

I thought it was more that they're afraid that when it's licensed and shown in U.s. all the editing and changing around will result in it being stripped of a certain "quality" and resulting in the widespread belief that anime is reflected by that. Like dragonball.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
How many shows have actually been edited down to unwatchableness?

Not many (only the 4kids ones)
Theowne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm not an expert on how anime works. But that is the main complaint I've seen.
lyger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
How many shows have actually been edited down to unwatchableness?

Not many (only the 4kids ones)

how bout tokyopops rave master and plastic cows duel masters
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but Tokyopop sucks GTO is the only show of theirs I will look at. Everything else they have is in my eyes Unliecensed.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I love how every group will slam on every other group. You'll reach a level of maturity when you realize that, with anime being as diverse as it is, that the fan base is going to be just as diverse, so just deal with it.Rolling Eyes

I've been accused of being an elistist in my time. More and more these days because of my preferences. I prefer my anime w/subtitles (but I prefer all of my foreign language movies to be subbed, so I guess I'm an arthouse snob, too) and I no longer watch everything that comes down the pipe like I did when I got into anime 15 years ago. I've seen every variety of fan. I've met lolia-cons who are reliable volunteers and I've seen "open-minded" fans engage in the worst behavior.

The only fans I have a problem with are the selfish ones. The ones that cause problems for everyone else:

- Those that support the bootleg industry or refuse to delete their fansubs and buy the domestic (or even the legit import) version.

- The cosplayers & their admirerers who clog up convention hallways taking pictures or with overly-large accessories.

- The fans who don't bathe or groom themselves even when in a public event like a convention or club meetings.

I can add many more, but I think you get the idea. There is a line between having a good time and being a nusience to others.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
...but it's true that a lot of people also hate a specific subset of anime fandom. Anti-harem, anti-lolicon, anti-shounen, anti-hentai, anti-DBZ, anti-fansub, anti-TV, anti-whatever. Those anti-[XYZ] people seem to believe that those who like [XYZ] should not be considered as "true" anime fans but merely an undesirable element of anime fandom.

This bothers me the most in regards to people's behavior on the forums. Especially in lieu of the licensing of Naruto after One Piece. Its become painful to see people turn their dislike of one show into a personal attack on people who like that show but not another. I enjoy Naruto, and I'll admit that some people are very passionate about that show one way or another, but I could do without people referring to each other as "Narutards" or "those One Piece bastards", thats just rude.

I completely agree about the anti-XYZ people. There is so much anime and so much variety that there's something for everyone.Not everyone is going to like the show or genre that you love but that doesn't make them a lesser fan and they shouldn't be attacked for that. God forbid some poor soul should go on about Cowboy Bebop or EVA being nothing special...there might be bloodshed. So many discussions, not only on these boards but others as well, have been reduced to name calling and very personal attacks on people for no good reason other than they simply have a different opinion.

Dan42 wrote:

Sometimes I can be a bit guilty of anti-bishoujo and anti-shounen behavior, but I try to control it by telling myself that those people are entitled to their own tastes as much as I am to mine, and it doesn't make them any lesser anime fans.

Overall it's just better and more healthy to define yourself by what you like rather than what you dislike.

I have my guilty pleasures like yaoi and cheesy shojo, but I also love and will try out all sorts of genres, anything from Hamtaro to Evangelion. Obviously I haven't liked all of it, and can't stand some of it. But I won't bash somebody or call them a brainless fool for liking Dragonball while I'm buried in a pile of yaoi manga I can't even read Embarassed. Even if I thought that, people can like/obsess on Dragonball if they want to, I'm not offended by it because I don't have to watch it. Its their choice and has nothing to do with me.

It would be nice if, like you said, people could just let each other like what they like or be a fan without making others feel like crap. I've noticed that often etiquette between fans will go right down the toilet. When people point out complaints or concerns about series they like, there's always one or two in the bunch that are right there calling someone petty or their complaint unimportant; 'not a big deal'; or my favorite, assuming that one is 'wasting their life worrying about little things like that Rolling Eyes '. It seems that people are consciously going out of their way to do this and will condescend to and insult people (who perhaps made a simple mistake like misquoting a DVD spec or starting a redundant thread) completely unprovoked. "Uh, if you had bothered to look we already discussed this here. Its called a search feature use it." I can understand the frustration behind replies like this, but damn...

I apologze, didn't mean to rant Embarassed
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to breifly get in on the Sub VS Dub debate.

Say Hellsing....Ok it's set in Britian? Do you know any english people who speak fluent Japanese?

Crono Crusade? How many people in New York spoke Japanese in the 1920s?

I decide on Sub VS depending on where the show takes place. For the most part I like my Anime in Japanese but in rare cases the setting is so un Japanese that I have to watch it in English (or if there is a 3 or 4th Language that one)

I think in alot of cases the Dub Track makes a show more beliveable and keeps things with in it's own context.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Bottom lining the issue, everyone likes that they wanna like. You want to hat something fine, be my guest. But if your reasoning is illogical, mean-spirited and lacking in character, then I have to say that the person should fornicate with a pointy stick. There are too many fans of Japanese anime who need to get off their high horse.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Anime is a Relgion to some people. With the Seriousness they take it. I'm sure alot of the anime eletists don't really belive in anything else.

Just something to think about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3