• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vampire Knight, 2nd Haruhi Season's English Casts Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pantha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Blah blah blah, Haruhi's great and all, but..

HOW DID I MISS VAMPIRE KNIGHT GETTING LICENSED?!

Oh good, I was afraid that I was the only one. I'm usually on top on news related to new licenses, but this somehow slipped past me. Assuming that VIZ would be releasing the series in the same way they released Nana and Honey and Clover, I would be buying this. Vampire Knight is another guilty pleasure. Speaking of guilty, it looks as if the sequel hasn't been licensed yet.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The dub keeping the same has cemented my purchase for the second season.

I can't believe people like one order over the other. Personally, I love both orders equally and I even made up my own for the hell of it. Heck, that's part of the reason why I love it as much as I do, because I can watch it different ways.

Vampire Knight is on my to watch list and I'll probably pick it sometime down the road. Could care less about the dub cast because I think all dubs are good (with very few exceptions) no matter who's in them and an actor will never sway me one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Personally, I love both orders equally and I even made up my own for the hell of it.

Now that's a new approach.
What was your ordering?
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Quit your whining and go back to watching fansubs or import a Region 2 disc if you hate it that much. Neutral

Or I could, you know, do what I already do. Buy the stuff and not watch the dubs. I was just pointing out the fact that rewrtiting the script, recording the voices, and editing them in into the show does, undenyably, add to the time it takes to get a DVD out. It also obviously adds to the price, since they have to pay these people, but I don't complain about the price considering how low the prices are in America already.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Quit your whining and go back to watching fansubs or import a Region 2 disc if you hate it that much. Neutral

Or I could, you know, do what I already do. Buy the stuff and not watch the dubs. I was just pointing out the fact that rewrtiting the script, recording the voices, and editing them in into the show does, undenyably, add to the time it takes to get a DVD out. It also obviously adds to the price, since they have to pay these people, but I don't complain about the price considering how low the prices are in America already.

Actually, the price has to do with other stuff, not paying the VAs they get paid by the hour recording. Brina Palencia said so in a panel, not about the licensing, but about the paid by the hour thing. Please read this article:
http://chikorita157.notcliche.com/2010/02/editorial-the-harsh-realty-of-the-anime-industry/
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

agreed, in fact it seems like a total miscast. Don't get me wrong, I love Vic and his voice work, but his voice works better for loud/flambouyant characters, a character like Zero seems so far out of anything else he's ever done, and a quieter more brooding voice would have been better. Who knows maybe he wanted the role, maybe I'll ask him about it when I see him at tekko.

Actually, just like most other actors, voice actors do not get to choose the parts they play. They may get to ask to read for a certain character at the audition, but they have to audition, nonetheless, for the part.

I, personally, trust the people at Bang Zoom! entertainment. That they cast Vic tells me that he impressed them with his audition. There is a reason Mr. Mignogna has continued to work, and that reason is that casting directors enjoy his performances and see them as marketable. Remember, nobody but the folks at Bang Zoom! (and probably the people at Viz) have seen his performance. I wouldn't pin it as bad yet, since nobody here has seen it. Sure, we can speculate, but it's a "genetic fallacy" to say something is bad without being able to say why it is so. Who knows, Vic might just impress all of you. It's been done before (remember, before FMA premiered, he got threatening emails not to "mess up" as Ed).

Very Happy

What I meant was back when Vic got the role of Fye D Flowright in Tsubasa, I thought the casting was a little weird, so I asked Vic about it and he said that after hearing about the series he really wanted to play the role of Fye and was glad he got the role. I know he doesn't have much choice which roles he gets but a lot of the time he does get to choose which roles he wants to audition for. Kind of like how he really wanted to play Tamaki in Ouran but he acknowledged the best he could do is audition for the role and hope for the best and in that case he got the role.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Vic haters should still thank him though, he's the one who kept pestering Viz to pick up this series.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Personally, I love both orders equally and I even made up my own for the hell of it.

Now that's a new approach.
What was your ordering?

I couldn't tell you because it wasn't a real "order". It was the first Melancholy Episode starting it off, then the sixth Melancholy last and then the other episodes just thrown in there. I pretty much picked random episodes. It was like a box of chocolates, except all the them were delicious. Good times.

However, now that it has 28 episodes, I would appreciate Bandai putting the whole show in one, chronological set. It's one thing to watch random episodes with 14, but I think 28 need to be in an order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
"Broadcast order" frames the episodes of the first season well, because the first season is one main story, the story of the first novel, and then a bunch of short stories from book three and the like, plus the extra anime-only story ("Someday in the Rain"), and putting them in chronological order makes the first six episodes the strongest part, then the rest lead up to kind of a weak end. It's not anyone's fault, really.

But since there is now more of the show, "broadcast order" has lost a bit of its novelty, since the story continues. Especially since the second seasons' episodes weren't mixed the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
keikanna44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Vic haters should still thank him though, he's the one who kept pestering Viz to pick up this series.

Ah Ha! That's why he got that role because he's popular AND suggested the series. Now it makes sense. I don't care what anybody says I lOVE Vic but I know his voice and I don't think the Zero role is for him. I know that the Kuran role isn't for Ethan Murray. Sorry but I can't help feeling that this show has been miscast. In my opinion the relationships between Zero, Yuki, and Kuran are the driving force behind the Vampire Knight series. The voice actors have to be perfect or the show is gonna suck. However I haven't seen the dub yet, obviously, so I will reserve my final judgement till then. If it turns out both of them do the parts justice I will apologize. Smile
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
I never understood why people want to watch season one in broadcast order. That's how I watched it first, and I hated it. I wish I'd never seen it that way. After watching it in Chronological order, it became one of my favorite anime.

I don't see what the gimmick is making shows out of chronological order. It was cool in Boogiepop & all, but it was just stupid in Rental Magica not to proceed in some sort of reasonable fashion (Never bothered with Haruhi).

Aside from the gimmick of it all I've determined that if you don't watch Haruhi in the broadcast order it lacks the sort of narrative flow necessary to maintain the average viewers (we're talking the average blind pick up and watch viewer not the average watches Haruhi once a week ultra fanboy viewer) interest. The way the broadcast order works it puts the climax of the whole melancholy arc near the end of the season instead of in the middle and keeps the standalone stories interspersed throughout.

Of course I don't know if this refined flow was at all intentional or if it was meant to go beyond a gimmick, but I have to admit it does kind of work out in the shows favour to a degree.
mercidez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Vampire Knight fans - Wow, you guys need to have more faith in Vic!

I think a lot of us are imaging Edward Elric's or Tamaki Suoh's voice tumbling out of Zero's mouth. ***Absolutely silly!***

Can we first see what Vic has to offer on his interpretation of the character before we start judging? I for one can't think of a character Vic has played that seems like they would sound close to Zero, and who knows? He probably wowed people at the audition with something up his sleeve.

I've been browsing Youtube for Vic/Zero related videos and came across these (thank you, awesome con-panel goers!). They might make Vampire Knight fans feel more at ease. He really does seem to care about doing the role justice for the fanbase (like Edward to FMA fans) and his Zero "teaser" actually sounds kinda... dare i say... badass?

A fan asks if Vic will be working on VK sometime last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9dMpXIkgA&feature=related

Vic's story of being cast as Zero:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCUOI7W0028

Vic's New Role:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppCTRDtXPo

(warning: high-pitched fangirl screams especially in the 3rd one)

Love that he's wearing a Day Class uniform. LOL! Wink
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
John Casey wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Why do you say that? becouse the 8 episodes are similar?

No. Because they're exactly the same, save for one or two differences per episode?

You can quite literally watch the first episode, any middle one, and the last one without missing a thing. That effectively makes FIVE completely obsolete episodes.

While it is probably one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time" (hey, this story is called "endless eight" - so how about we make it eight episodes) but they are all fully animated and by different teams so it is an exercise in seeing what different people do with the same material (hence why one episode had a K-on! feel to it etc.); the script was mostly the same, but they were all storyboarded and directed and supervised by different people.

That's fine and dandy, but when you think about it..."Endless Eight" is wordplay.

How many times does actual week repeat itself....? Enough to go through at least two ice ages. Obviously, they avoided making 12,000 episodes all the same. Doesn't mean that eight still isn't too much.

I can understand different teams working with same material, but when you look at it with a wider spectrum, that's been done before? A lot, right? The big difference here is...there is absolutely no effort between the different teams to even attempt to distinguish themselves.

So yeah....Endless Eight is a lot like...communism. It's good....on paper.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
there is absolutely no effort between the different teams to even attempt to distinguish themselves.

I already mentioned the episode with a distinct K-on! look to the characters, and there was one with seemingly random shots of clouds and paper aeroplanes inserted (I never did finish the series though - I think it was around that time my PC broke down and I lost my place. I meant to finish it up through the DVDs but I only got a couple before I had to tighten the belt due to being made redundant).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Niomo wrote:
And I threw up in my mouth. Bad dub is bad. but enjoy for those who are getting it.

I don't think anyone wants to know.

I am still buying second season of Haruhi Suzumiya.

no kidding. an obivious anti-dubber.

I'm definatelty looking forward to 2nd season of haruhi and really intrigued by the dubbing of Vampire Knight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6