• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bargain Hunting Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

Shocked How did you do that so fast?! I haven't found hide nor hair of this series in nearly 10 years!

I'm magical.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote
I think people are forgetting to strike through old posts.

GeminiDS85 wrote:
I’ve got a good one for The King of Harts.

Haibane Renmei: Volume 3. (R1 only)

I have found Volume 1, 2 and 4 brand new and at a great price, but I can’t find Vol 3 for fewer than forty five dollars. I have no objection to a used copy; however, I do not want to purchase anything that is not in good condition. Very Happy

I like a challenge Twisted Evil Alright, here's what I've found so far: Amazon Canada has a used one listed as collectible-very good for CDN$21.49 which, if accurate, comes to USD$21.25 plus the $8 shipping to the US and gives you a grand total of USD$29.25.

However, that is still quite pricey- especially for a single volume. The reason I'm telling you this is because I'm having a hellacious time finding it period, let alone cheap, and I don't know how often it'll pop up in my searches. If you want one cheaper (or in the US), let me know and I'll keep looking and get back to you when I find one a little more reasonable. Just a tip, keep checking Rightstuf because they have a secret Geneon vault somewhere and occasionally bring out some hard to find stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'll play this game. I'm looking for Birdy the Mighty Double Trouble and Final Force. In pretty good condition, less than 30 bucks if at all possible. Ready? GO!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
OK, I got ya, Faytlein.

The Kawajiri Brick Pack has both volumes of Birdy the Mighty in it. I'm assuming by "Brick Pack" it means one of those shrink wrapped sets judging by the picture ANN and TRSI uses. Anyways, Rightstuf has one in stock for $29.99.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/yvdKg3NU-AtoRw9JT7/browse/item/63786/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
As someone who bought that brick, I can confirm that it is the individual dvds shrink wrapped together. I think they are a separate printing because it says "This DVD is part of a collection and not intended for individual sale." where there would normally be a bar code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I like a challenge Twisted Evil Alright, here's what I've found so far:…

Thank you very much, The King of Harts
I was unaware that Amazon Canada even existed; I learned some very valuable information today, which I am sure, will help me considerably in the future. I actually ended up purchasing the complete collection, it was a little more then what I wanted to spend but I couldn’t resist. Thanks again.
Very Happy
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for the original Gundam series, volume 8. For less than $30.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

http://www.amazon.ca/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Vol-Solomon/dp/B0001OGVS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270236327&sr=8-1

It's a Canada listing, but its only 19.99 CND.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow..! But it says "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months."... I think that means it's sold out...I mean, the listing for nymphet had the same description even though it was canceled...
Thanks for the help, but I don't think I'll buy it from there...we are moving in 2 1/2 months so I don't want to risk it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I like a challenge Twisted Evil Alright, here's what I've found so far:…

Thank you very much, The King of Harts
I was unaware that Amazon Canada even existed; I learned some very valuable information today, which I am sure, will help me considerably in the future. I actually ended up purchasing the complete collection, it was a little more then what I wanted to spend but I couldn’t resist. Thanks again.
Very Happy

As soon as I read this this morning I searched Amazon and saw two copies of Vol 3 for $20. Also this morning, Ebay sent me an e-mail notification and there was another one for $20. I think the world is against you.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

As soon as I read this this morning I searched Amazon and saw two copies of Vol 3 for $20. Also this morning, Ebay sent me an e-mail notification and there was another one for $20. I think the world is against you.

Not the world, just my Portuguese ancestors up in heaven. They must of saw that I broke the cardinal rule of my heritage – never pay full price for anything – and wanted to punish me.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

It's funny you should mention that. I have a friend who just picked that up at a near by Vintage Stock. They just happened to have a volume of it for a good price and my friend (big time Gundam fan) picked it up right away. Any time you're looking for out of print stuff these types of stores can be a life saver. Just go to any "trade and sell" type video and video game store. You'd be shocked at the kind of out of print materiel you can find there.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well... that's a good idea, Mushi-Man. Ironically enough though, I can't do that because I live in Japan Laughing I haveto buy everything online. Still much cheaper than buying them in Japanese at least.
Well I am moving back in a few months, maybe then I can look...
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah well then I guess my suggestion is quite useless at this point. Well my only other possible suggestion is to get in contact with some dealers. There are quite a few "vintage anime" dealers that like to specialize in the old and out of print. They usually go from con to con selling their stuff but they usually have small websites set up and I guess you could try contacting them. Personally, when it comes of out of print anime, I don't like going to places like amazon and ebay. About 90% of the time they are bootlegs and the other 10% of the time they tend to outrageously price them.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Is this thread strictly for DVDs? I'm looking for some figures that aren't in production anymore and aren't likely to be boots from Hong Kong or China.

DVD wise though I am trying to find a copy of Bandai's R1 release of Angel Tales volume 3 that won't cost me too much. I'm very low on money right now but I HATE having only the other 3 volumes.

@ GeminiDS85: Did you buy that copy of Haibane-Renmei volume 3 R1 version? I have a spare copy of that volume (it's the one called Free Bird right?) and I'll sell it for less than that Canadian deal. (Original insert is there, disc looks okay, I'll check it if you want me to before shipping.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 35