• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Monsters in the Attic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

SAO is no where near as bad as guilty crown, K is as bad as guilty crown but SAO it's nowhere near that bad (and I dropped all three of those shows. though I dropped K and guilty crown after the second episodes).

>people saying K is bad

>no one can appreciate the greatest parody of our time
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, my interest in this show nose-dived once it rinsed its hands clean of the death game premise. It was fun while it lasted, but now it's just rambling, and I think my time would be better spent following new shows.
I can understand this feeling, but it's still a really good show overall. Honestly, it's also still better than 90% of the stuff that's airing right now. And to the people bashing LBs still, yeah it could be better but overall it's still not "bad" or "poor". It's just, average. It started off really well, word-for-word the same as the VN but they started taking too much weird liberties and taking a lot of good dialogue out and left in some really lame ones. It should be a masterpiece, but it's just average. But it is what it is, play the VN for the truth

edit: I also dont know why you said Robotics;Notes had "suited gunmen" when there is no gun ever present.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
i dont really agree with the stakes being lower and thus less interesting now that Sword Art Online has moved to ALO. sure, death in ALO just means you loose some skills, re spawn elsewhere and most importantly, you're brain isn't microwaved. However, 300 people who managed to beat the odds and survived a death game for 2 years for no real logical reason and now trapped in another game on the whims of another mad man. three hundred families who don't have any idea why their loved ones wont wake up despite nearly 6000 game survivors regaining consciousness. completely unaware that these people are being tortured in the name of science and the highest bidder. the madman may be hamtastic and hilariously cartoonishly evil but he does have the complete and total trust of the one man who could easily put a stop to this this, making him free of any kind of suspicion. and that makes it easier for him to hold Asuna hostage and potentially black mail her father should he suddenly cease to be a horrible judge of character. Sugou seems to be dangerously charismatic enough to convince his boss that marrying an unconscious 17 year old girl is totally a good idea and who knows what the hell he would even do should Kirito fail to rescue her. so not only is he trying to save someone he cares about from a sick psycho in less than a week, he is also unknowingly saving 300 other people and possibly stopping some very immoral scientific research along the way.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting the time to stay current with more shows than usual this season. Good thing, since there are so many shows.

Here is my wall of text.

Top tier (I look forward to these each week, and would definitely buy them on DVD/BD):

Psycho Pass - cyberpunk sci-fi. Nice to see it back in anime. Starting to get the feeling that spoiler[truly dangerous sociopaths show up as clean scans, since they have no internal moral compass that would indicate emotional spikes]. Sad it has to conform to the Noitamina 11 episode constraints, and a little worried about a rushed ending. Still, enjoying it while I can.

Space Brothers - I've become extremely invested in these characters. Apo. so cute. I'm almost convinced that I need to start looking around for a pug puppy next spring.

Hunter X Hunter - Unlike most shonen shows, where I suffer interest-drift, this one keeps me entertained. I don't see that changing.

Kamisama Hajimemashita - I've been buying the manga, so I'm already a fan. Love the directors take on the existing material. This show is a great example of how to use a small budget. I hope it gets another season.

My Little Monster - The characters are delightfully dysfunctional. What a great change of pace! Someone license this.

Second tier (Interesting enough to keep me watching every week):

Polar Bear Cafe - I watch this in the afternoon. For some reason, it is awesome and funny at that time of day. It isn't the same at night, when I'm tired. The show is funny, but it's dialog intensive and not energetic enough to keep me from falling asleep in front of the TV.

Say "I love you" - Soap opera. Really enjoying it now, but soapy stuff like this usually doesn't have a lot of re-watch value for me. I get annoyed when Mei starts acting like a passive zombie. Though I'm relieved that Yamato is finally getting a clue.

Third tier (still watching, but wonder why with every passing episode):

Blast of Tempest The magic system in this show makes absolutely no sense. I don't find the characters particularly likeable. Still, the pace is good and the show keeps my attention while I'm watching it. I probably would forget to watch this show if it wasn't so visible in my crunchyroll queue.

Robotics;Notes - I can tell there is a good plot in here, but the show keeps focusing on the boring characters. A show should not be character driven if all the characters are boring. The "just enough" plot stuff keeps me coming back, and it's only 11 episodes. Oh well.

"K" - This show is pretty to look at. Skateboard guy is really fun to watch. I think the fact that nothing about it makes any sense probably works in its favor as a weekly thing. Usually, I wait to marathon shows that have complicated plots. This one is never going to make sense so I might as well watch it weekly. Razz

Code Breaker - I have no excuse. I watched Samurai Deeper Kyo all the way through as well, and didn't have any excuse for that one either. Is there some law that says "any Akimine Kamijyo anime adaptation must have really cheap-ass production standards"? ....Oh wait, ... the characters... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Magi - Watching, but still haven't figured out whether I like it enough to stick with it. While watching, my mind strays with thoughts like "these shotas are really annoying" and "why is Alibaba a scandinavian?" I might drop this one soon.

On hold:

Fallen behind on Kuroko's Basketball and Gintama, but plan to continue. I have Ixion Saga DT in the queue, but haven't gotten to it yet.
I am purposely waiting for Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) to finish so I can marathon it, much like I am doing with Jormungand.

Even though Bamboo likes BTOOOM! and the Pet Girl show, I can't see myself ever getting around to them at this point.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
lizardking461 wrote:
One thing though, "that twist" in Tempest that "will blow your mind" - seriously? That was so obvious from a mile off that I assumed that it had to be something else.

Glad it's so painfully obvious to you. It wasn't to me, and I saw no one in the series discussion thread who even mentioned what was said in episode 8(?) as a possible explanation so it must not have been to most other regular viewers, either.

Funnily enough, I actually did come up with it as a possible idea... but I then discarded it as highly unlikely because spoiler[it would seem to contradict the fact that Samon needed Hakaze alive]. So I figured there must be some other explanation. Turns out my initial hunch was right after all.

But I definitely don't feel it was "painfully obvious" or anything.

EDIT: Speaking of Blast of Tempest, I find it funny that the backstory revealed in recent episodes means that spoiler[it's yet another show this season with a little sister attraction element in it. Of course, the way it's handled is completely different (and far more tasteful and interesting) than the other shows this season, and definitely doesn't feel like some cheap fetish fuel, at least to me. It's still kind of interesting though.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I haven't been able to find any records on TV ratings [for SAO]

Mahou Showtime reports that Sword Art Online airs on Tokyo MX which is only available in Kantou. That station doesn't appear on the usual national ratings compilations like the ones at Geocities. MX may have affiliates to expand the coverage nationally, but I've never seen its shows on the available ratings reports.

By the way, both noitaminA shows, Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes are scheduled for 22 episodes rather than the usual eleven.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm getting the time to stay current with more shows than usual this season. Good thing, since there are so many shows.

Here is my wall of text.

*those noitaminA shows*

Both Psycho Pass and Robotics;Notes are going to 22 episodes so there's plenty of story left to tell.

On another note, it sounds to me from the sparse posts in this thread (plus the series thread in the anime subforum) that KyoAni got themselves another winner with Chuunibyou. That's good to know.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Here is my wall of text.

*those noitaminA shows*

Both Psycho Pass and Robotics;Notes are going to 22 episodes so there's plenty of story left to tell.

You just made my day (in regards to Psycho Pass, at least). Thanks! Cool
midnighteve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

SAO is no where near as bad as guilty crown, K is as bad as guilty crown but SAO it's nowhere near that bad (and I dropped all three of those shows. though I dropped K and guilty crown after the second episodes).

>people saying K is bad

>no one can appreciate the greatest parody of our time

"K" is a parody of something? Of what? (<---Genuine question.)

(On a separate note.) I'm glad to see a little more amicability for SAO. For a show so popular, all I've been seeing is hate for it left and right and it was getting so draining to see. By no means is SAO a masterpiece, but it's been fun to watch and I enjoy cheering for Kirito to save Asuna and I'm waiting for my nice "family" reunion at the end. (Though I can't stand mooeboob Suguha for the life of me. I don't get the love for her that I've been seeing at all...)

As for other shows, I've actually been keeping up with My Little Monster and Magi as they've been coming out. Man, Haru and Shizuku are the most dysfunctional couple(?) I've even seen, and Magi is just a fun little shonen romp. Morgiana won my heart in the latest episode! I wanted to get into From the New World a bit more, but it was just too...weird? I'm not sure, but after the episode where they're having those races with the clay things, I can't get my husband to sit down and watch the rest with me -.-;
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:

Anime!

Its the most anime anime ever made.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
midnighteve wrote:

Anime!

Its the most anime anime ever made.

Sooo...it makes fun of the most prevalent tropes in anime? Or something like that? (I kinda thought of Star Driver as something along those lines just cause of how outlandish and fabulous it all was...but I'm digressing here...)
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
i have no idea what he is saying, but i am enjoying K
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
N.R. wrote:
On a side note Bamboo dropped SAO at the same point as I did, but for different reasons. This strengthens my believe that that series was rotten from the core. I find it hard to believe people are still watching it. I know for a fact that all of my friends dropped it ages ago.

1. Despite all the invective directed at SAO, it is far from being universally-panned. It has a Bayesian estimate of 8.2 (of 10) on our site, an average rating of 4.76 (of 5) on Crunchyroll, and a 9.1 (of 10) on Imdb. Granted, these ratings all have to be taken with a grain of salt (as do any populist ratings), but it shows that the overwhelming majority who are bothering to rate the show are rating it fairly strongly, which means that a lot of people are enjoying it.
2. The series is still immensely popular, to the point that it's easily this year's hottest new series and probably the biggest phenomenon in fandom since Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I haven't been able to find any records on TV ratings, but DVD/BR preorder figures are sky-high as series go and its light novels are utterly dominating the LN sales charts for the year, it has massively more ratings on Crunchyroll than any other title with a similar running time.
3. Even many people who have been highly critical of the series have still found it enjoyable enough to keep watching.

While it's definitely not amongst the year's best series on a qualitative scale, clearly it's doing enough right to appeal to the masses. I still find it quite entertaining even while acknowledging its flaws.

yeah, alot those are just ANN reader's opinions, not the anime fandom. Sometimes, ANN readers trash a show, but they still watch it Rolling Eyes for some random reason that i will never understand.

Look at dvd/Blu-ray sales and internet traffic, it will tell you that SOA is the most popular show this year. IF it's not a popular show, atleast it's the most talked about show this year.
Kuroko no Basket comes in second place.

I only watch Blast of Tempest from this season. Summer season is much better.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I find my personal situation compared with The Stream to be quite odd, as Girls und Panzer is pretty much the only show I'm actively following this season even though it got an AP shell straight to the ammo rack way back in the first round. Of the titles that have made it through this far, not a single one of them interests me at all. (Well, I might go for Robotics;Notes later on down the line on account of it being related to Steins;Gate, but that probably won't be for a very long while.)

As for Sword Art Online, it pretty much elicits a "meh" response from me. Sure, I've got a few episodes of that tucked away in a dark corner of my hard drive, but I probably won't get to those until Girls und Panzer finishes airing at the absolute earliest.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I don't know, for some reason I just can't hate SAO. I know I should, but I feel like I have to keep watching it to see what happens next.

This sums up my feelings about the show pretty well. It's got some positive qualities, but it's also awful on so many levels. Despite it all I'm having fun watching it and I can't bring myself to really dislike it. Guilty pleasure for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9