• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World-wide Anime Market Worth $100 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
$100 Billion? You mean...

... 100 BILLION DOLLARS!
(does Dr. Evil pinky-on-lip gesture)

That's pretty good, eh? The figure, not the Dr. Evil pinky-on-lip gesture. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The physical size of the country really has nothing to do with it (after all, you can fit all of North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) into Russia and still have room for Japan). More important is the population, and how much they spend.

Ok, but such countries as Russia & China aren't known for the scads of extra cash to blow on entertainment. My senior's wife is Russian, just went back for the birth of her grandchild & the horror stories he's telling are also keeping him up nights-difficulties with the pregnancy, then his wife becoming ill--everyone's feeling very sorry for him. And is this the broken up Russia? I know one of his issues is the daughter gave up her citizenship in one of the countries to go to one of the other ones where her husband could advance his career, but the medical back where she came from was much better so the mom is very upset considering the complications in the pregnancy. And my senior's just horrified over the medical proceedures taken for granted here they don't really consider there. But, yeah, I thought of China since they are bigger, but I don't think they spend all that much on anime.

Comparatively, the European population is close to 500 million (The core EU-15 has a population of 376 million, the other 125 come from the poorer eastern European countries that joined in 2004), but their spending habits are different than North Americans. The cost of living is higher, and they tend to spend less on forms of entertainment (movies & video games in particular) that are popular in North America. But they spend more on other forms of entertainment (restaurants and travel in particular). This is largely a cultural difference. This is why, despite being larger than the United States, the anime market there is only expected to grow to half the size of the market in the USA (the same size as the market in Japan). Other products could easilly make much more money in Europe than North America...

Yes, Europe is often grouped as one place, but it is bunches of places, each a little different, so yes, anime does well in Germany & France, it seems, but then one sees complaints from some poor soul in Scandinavia or Polland about the utter lack of anime.....Not to mention what the poor souls in England seem tgo have to go thru judging from the monthly reports in Newtype USA (where a handful of titles get listed per month) I know they have that whole censorship board to deal with(old horror movie fan-read lots of complaints over Hammer films vs the censorship board) So yeah, as a group, they're probably bigger, but they are really still individual national mentalities/quirks. Just from what I've seen, France isn't Germany isn't Belgium, etc.
Yes, the United States is actually a collection of governments made all the more plain when one deals with the laws of one state vs another as I do regularly(Try explaining to a convicted felon he can't just up & move to another state--we have to ask that state's law enforcement people if they will accept our convicted felon & vice versa) And the residents of California are different from the residents of New York.(The residents of northern California are different from us SoCal folk, for that matter) But overall there is a basic type of person that makes up America. Yes, I understand Europeans view us as a bunch of rude 5 yr olds pretty much-no manners, loud, abrasive, but we needed that to settle this nation.
I'm sorry, I've never really thought much about the Canadian mentality. Living in SoCal, Mexico & South America have always been more important for us to understand since we deal with them daily. I'm sure the northern states think more about Canada than the average person in SoCal(unless one has a reason to, like one is from there or has friends there) I understand Canadians had the whole frontier issue we had, so presumably they're similar to us, but I know more about Hispanic culture since I deal with it daily.

Yes, the American market is a big one that most companies would like to break into, but it's not "huge" compared to other markets around the world.[/quote]

I just know America is a market a lot of other companies want to break into. The Beatles wanted to break here. Many foreign performers want to try their luck here. Whether it's our "Land of Opportunity" that we don't care where someone came from, we care about what someone can do (unlike some older cultures like Japan & Europe where pedigree is considered important). And maybe because we're spoiled 5 yr-olds, we don't mind spending exhorbitant amounts of money on our toys. Yeah, tomorrow's important to a point, but we have very much a live-for-today mentality forged possibly from the uncertainty of life faced by our ancestors(or maybe it's just the 5 yr-old thing).
I know my attitude changed a bit 4 yrs ago when I found my husband of 20 yrs dead at the age of 44. Yeah, retirement's important & if I can last another 15 yrs at my job, I can retire at full pay(after 33 yrs on the job--not really counting on Social Security), but I'm enjoying my life now.
jay saenz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the United States has a huge market for entretaiment products. The US is the bigest market in the world for music, movies, videogames or any form of entretaiment media...

I don t know for sure if the quality of life in the states still as high as it used to be 10 years ago. I ve heard that poverty has increased and that the unemployment rate is also high in many states, because of the opportunities of cheap manpower that many large corporations find in the third world countries, specially South East Asia and Latinamerica.

However, like some of you have said, the average american costumer often prefer to spend his/her money in home entretaiment. Here in Costa Rica, people think the same way, and even if they need to get a loan to buy a DVD player, people still want to have high class entretaiment at home.

BTW, this might be off topic, but why people in the US refer to themselves as AMERICANS, if America is continent that goes from Alaska to Argentina? From that point of view, i also should consider myself American, because I live in the middle of the continent.

I m taking english classes and my teacher really hates when I talk about american people. She is teaching me to think and speak about the inhabitants of the United States as the U.S. people...
hkrok76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
because we're americans. It comes from United Statesians not rolling off the tongue as nicely as Canadian, Columbian, Mexican, or any of the other ans. So...our full title as a nation is The United States of AMERICA. Take the last bit, and bam, we're Americans. Sure, that might be a little selfish on our parts considering these two large continents of ours, but unless Mexica and Canada wants to fight us for it, we're Americans.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Or rather, we should ask why both continents are the mispelled name of an Italian (Amerigo) which was given to us by a German.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
BTW, this might be off topic, but why people in the US refer to themselves as AMERICANS, if America is continent that goes from Alaska to Argentina? From that point of view, i also should consider myself American, because I live in the middle of the continent.

I m taking english classes and my teacher really hates when I talk about american people. She is teaching me to think and speak about the inhabitants of the United States as the U.S. people...

I remember people saying that in the 80's and thought it died out with calling thieves "differently ethiced". The other nations on the North/South American continents have their own names based on their own history. However, we've been calling ourselves America when *ALL* the other nations on the continent were still calling themselves colonies of Spain and Britain, so by senority we have dibs on it Wink

More seriously, I think this all started back when the Central/South American nations were starting to get more assertive against the American dominance of the hemisphere.
(I still think that the fact that we were calling ourselves America before any other independent nation existed in the Western hemisphere is a valid claim)
jay saenz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
What you have written remind me of something i studied at high school about the Monroe doctrine . This doctrine is based on the phrase>

America for the Americans (of the United States)

and it claims that no European Superpower have the right to mess with any country of the Western Hemisphere (or The continent that people of Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean, Central America and South America call America)...

thanks for your answers, but i think that i like how United Statians sound... I respect your country and your ideas, but i hope that someday you respect my country and our ideas in the same way...
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, as I understand it, the Spanish speaking nations of the two continents call us "Estados Unidos" (I think-- long time since I took Spanish), and as far as I'm concerned, I don't mind that you do.

I don't think that we of the US intend any exclusion or disrespect when we call ourselves "Americans" though, as it's what we've always done
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2