• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Yes, Aoi speaks atrocious Chinese, but this was done on purpose. He's Japanese and the creators didn't want him to speak Chinese (Mandarin) perfectly. I was very impressed with the way they handled this.

dormcat wrote:
2) the moment they opened their mouths at 13:04 would blow their covers right away

After the "mandarin-issue" was discussed at length here, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the "sequel".

In episode 2 we are introduced to a chinese girl, who speaks with a big chinese accent in Japanese. She is voiced by a Japanese voice actor, who imitates the accent. And weirdly, the chinese girl's name is pronounced in Japanese? ><
I mean, there are many chinese and others using Kanji, that will use the japanese pronunciation of the characters when in Japan, but because of the setting and the main characters' supposed proficiency in chinese it doesn't make much sense here? oO;

Seems that the creators don't care to make the Japanese characters speak well enough for the story not to become incoherent - because the japanese audience won't realize that anyway ... but they will care enough to make foreigners speak bad Japanese on purpose and even with an imitated accent, eventhough they apparently do have quite a few foreign voice actors for the show, judging from the credits.
It kinda annoyed me, because it seems so one-sided and kind of ignorant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 49 of 49