• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hetalia - Axis Powers Manga Listed by Amazon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Extalia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:
Damnit, it's been licensed by Tokyopop.

I know the feeling.-_-
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
Looking at this thread has me curious; Why does everyone hate Tokyopop so much? Maybe I've been off the "hate ::insert company::" bandwagon for a long time, but I'm curious as to why it's getting all the hate when I haven't had anything to complain about recently except maybe a missing chapter in a 12 Kingdoms novel.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
^^ I don't hate Tokyopop, but it's easy for me to understand why others do. My number one complaint against them is that I'm not sure that they won't drop a new acquisition midway through its run.

Other complaints:

Their quality control (eg. proofreading) left when most of their staff was let go.

Their policy towards translating sound effects is haphazard. Sometimes they're translated; other times not. Unfortunately, the other times not are sometimes crucial to the reading. (A panel of showing nothing but untranslated SFX? How am I supposed to read that??)

Someone will likely mention the degradation in paper quality. However, that was a temporary situation that has been since rectified.

I've heard additional complaints against TP, but those will do as a start.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Looking at this thread has me curious; Why does everyone hate Tokyopop so much? Maybe I've been off the "hate ::insert company::" bandwagon for a long time, but I'm curious as to why it's getting all the hate when I haven't had anything to complain about recently except maybe a missing chapter in a 12 Kingdoms novel.

Well, I don't exactly hate them...Previously, they were one of the my favorite publishers. My favorite for awhile, actually. But I got a taste of something better in Yen Press and Del Rey (though Yen, as far as production quality goes, is superior). My reasons for being unhappy are:

1) Release dates. Due to the economy, Tokyopop can have some real issues with release dates. That can mean putting it out too fast or totally pulling it out of the line-up. While Hetalia is fairly popular, it's still worrisome.

2) Translation. I'll admit that TP is really hit and miss with translations, especially these days. Due to the nature of this series, it's preferable (to me) that any honorifics be left with Japan and Japan only. But sometimes people botch those things up and give the reasoning of "it's AU, it works!", even with characters that are literally America, France, Turkey, etc. Also, I'd like some research to go into this, especially concerning England/UK. He is technically both England and the overall UK representative, but all characters/official sources refer to him as the UK, despite the incorrect fansubs. Research the names and give the correct one based on time period. And, lastly, China's speech pattern. It needs to be handled delicately and have some equivalent to his opium reference towards the UK.

3) Production quality. TP chooses which series get color pages base on popularity (it seems), so I'm hoping we'll get some. However, Hetalia has a huge amount of color pages, so I'm pretty sure we won't get them all from TP. Not unusual, but I want them. TP's paper quality is improving, but still not great, and the covers can be pretty floppy. It's not unusual to find grammatical mistakes in the translations. By then, things might be better, though. That's what I'm hoping for. A lot of sound effects are left untranslated; while this didn't bother me before, I've grown used to the translations and not having them could take away from a series like this. Some of this can be attributed to the downsizing they did with the staff, which is never a good sign.

That's basically my reasoning. TP's business decisions did cause a lot of their downfall, and most of the series they license are more "bottom of the barrel" because of other companies having contracts with big Japanese publishers. TP is struggling right now, and there is still a chance it might fall. I can say, though, that they might have put a lot of effort into this. It's a popular series and people care; they screw up and they'll lose sales.

I think for a lot of people, it's having this company whose having issues license a series they care about. We really don't know what's going on with TP. It seems they might die off sometimes, and other times it's like they're picking up. It's not like VIZ or Yen or Del Rey, where the release dates barely change and overall the company have some decent sales/series, or DrMaster, where it's obvious they're failing. TP's website/production is messy, but they still get sales; they've basically finished up the popular series, but still license new titles. We have no idea how well Blu actually is for them.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This could very well be a smart pick-up by Tokyopop, should they treat it well enough.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Maybe I've been off the "hate ::insert company::" bandwagon for a long time, but I'm curious as to why it's getting all the hate when I haven't had anything to complain about recently except maybe a missing chapter in a 12 Kingdoms novel.

When did this happen??? Surprised
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Maybe I've been off the "hate ::insert company::" bandwagon for a long time, but I'm curious as to why it's getting all the hate when I haven't had anything to complain about recently except maybe a missing chapter in a 12 Kingdoms novel.

Supposedly the latest volume of 12K (v. 4) is rife with typos and editing problems, as well as missing a chapter, which is very disappointing QC.
Extalia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Supposedly the latest volume of 12K (v. 4) is rife with typos and editing problems, as well as missing a chapter, which is very disappointing QC.

There was also an incident involving the Croquis manga having some German dialect mixed into it, and honestly, I'm surprised that fans can put up with TP for this long. It seems to me that the more you buy, the more mistakes you'll keep on seeing in the near very future. -_-
Does quality not matter anymore?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2