• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - When Gulls Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well I never got that creepy vibe from Gunslinger Girl. I did however get it from a certain relationship in Cardcaptor Sakura.

I think it is interesting that in our culture it if a younger male student has a crush on an older female (who may like him back) and we think that it's a show for young boys; but turn it around to a young girl having a crush on an older male (who may like her back) and all of a sudden the show is for older men who like little girls. Well ok that last part may be true most of the time, but not always (such as with Cardcaptor Sakura).
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well I never got that creepy vibe from Gunslinger Girl.

I think I got it because I was expecting it. But after rereading parts of the first volumes, yeah, I don't think it's there. Yep, the relationship between some of the girls and their handlers is disturbing, but the series is fully aware of this and condemns it. There are probably perverts out there who get off on stuff like that, but that's not the kind of manga Gunslinger Girls wants to be.

I guess the series fell victim to the big moe scare. It's kinda sad we started to dismiss every series with cute young girls in it just because Japanese fandom is filled with weirdos.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Good to see both reviewers like the umineko manga. I really liked it myself and it does give a lot of hints. unlike the anime you can see that is has love, and that it is spoiler[staying a love story at it's core]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2