• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arakawa Under the Bridge (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
I dunno why I've continued to watch this show.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it. I don't really like it though. It's like complete indifference. Yet I still find myself watching it on a weekly basis. It has a very odd kind of appeal but I have no idea how I'm supposed to rate it. I can only think of one word to describe it even:

Silly.

If I was gonna use 3 words they would be

ORE NO TSHIRT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Wait that was a finale, and there is going to be a second series, well while I enjoy this series, I usually get a laugh here and there, It quite a lot of miss for me. It is like when I watch SZS I will watch, I will laugh at the right parts, it's appeal is just less to me then the comedies like Working or Baka Test.

My favourite characters in Arakawa under the bridge, probably Sister, Stella and Maria, though Whitey was likeable too. The Sister gas were my favourite, though I could have done without so much Stella turning into the Hulk. I also liked how the first part of this episode showed the three characters we often see in the background.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
I liked the first part of the episode. About time they show off the characters in the background Anime hyper

Though I liked the theme park part better. I found the merry go around and the what looked like a Star Wars joke laugh out loud funny.

It didn't seem like a finale but more of a, tune in for season two type deal. Which is fine, I mean I enjoyed the show enough to were I would watch a season 2.

Unlike SZS were it was a lot of hit and miss for me, along with Maria Holic and a few other shows. AutB was funny, I laughed at each episode unlike when I watched SZS were I really wasn't laughing due to not understanding half the jokes with out looking up TL notes.

I'm glad it's getting a season 2, in fact I would love it if AutB became Shaft's new SZS. It just means more crazy openings, animation bits and wacky background jokes.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
I liked this series a lot! It was a really entertaining watch. I wish it'd dived into Nino's past but I guess it is what it is. A fun, enjoyable show with surprisingly good art (background, character desings, very well done).

Looking forward to another season. Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I liked this series a lot! It was a really entertaining watch. I wish it'd dived into Nino's past but I guess it is what it is. A fun, enjoyable show with surprisingly good art (background, character designs, very well done).

Looking forward to another season. :D

Provided you want to hear this spoiler[ the second season hints that her past will be explained (based on two minute preview) and the manga will most likely explore her past as well.

However, don't be surprised if her past is only briefly mentioned. This a excellent comedy show, through and through and I am not sure where the past may fit in. ]

So there you have it.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh thankyou. Smile

And I sorta figured that even if they reveal some of her past it will never become the focus of the show, or probably even the main plot of that episode.

Seen enough of this genre to make that a safe bet, but then again, maybe they'll surprise us. Razz
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Finished it finally, and echoing the sentiments of a fair few here, it was pretty hit and miss.

it started off painfully slowly, and I considered dropping it more than once. When the ensemble cast was all done being introduced, however, I managed quite a few belly laughs. That said, for a show with comedy as its main premise, those laughs were few and far between.

I'm probably making it sound like I didn't enjoy it, that's unfair; I did enjoy it, I just didn't find it all that funny. It seemed to swing between moments of brilliance and moments of 'Oh, was that a gag?'. As with most SHAFT series, I liked the animation style, it was the subject matter I had issues with.

I'll probably watch the second season regardless.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Oh thankyou. :)

And I sorta figured that even if they reveal some of her past it will never become the focus of the show, or probably even the main plot of that episode.

Seen enough of this genre to make that a safe bet, but then again, maybe they'll surprise us. :P

Your more than welcome, happy to help.

However though spoiler[ I am not sure whether the mayor's past will be explored though. Star's past has been explained, Nino's past probably will be explained and Sister's past has already been explained, so I am not sure if the second season will all be about Nino's past and such or not. None the less, I do look forward to the second season. ]

Hopefully though, Arakawa Under The Bridge will get licensed some day.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Man, I've watched it... for what?
That show can be compared to spaghetti with lack of sauce. At the beginning it was tasty, but after we have eaten surface layer there was too much pasta left. The series based on gags are getting boring faster than something else. I gave it second chance, when something like "plot" appeared, but it died painfully under avalanche of not funny jokes. Watched, described, forgotten. There will be no 2nd season for me.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Just editing the opening post to cover the season 2 stuff. (might as well cut down on spam and just use this topic)

The PV for season 2 has been out for a little while but for those who missed it here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNw5_GhruhM

Only a week and a half still season 2 starts
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok, the raws for ep 1 are out. (haven't seen it yet, waiting on subs)

Though I did see the opening. Shaft never fails when it comes to a opening, though season 2's opening isn't as catchy it shows off more of the cast and is quite interesting to look at.

Shame that the ending song and animation wasn't shown this week.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Who's doing it this time? The groups somehow seem less organised (where's my Black Lagoon dammit).
Thanks for updating the thread. It's one of the shows that I am expecting at least somewhat. Don't seem to have much patience for most others.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Nutblaster did the PV video subs so I'm guessing there subbing it but you never know.

If they are it's gonna be a few days before the subs come out. I just wish Crunchy roll or another c.o would just pick the series up already. I mean season 1 alone had two groups doing it and the first group stopped midway and a random group popped up and did the last episode.

I'd like some consistency with the subs at least.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
clear! -zaps topic back to life-

Come on, we're already 6 eps in to the season and no one's posted?
(I guess I'm to blame on that but .. )

Let's get this topic kick started again with some mid season impressions, or at least lets talk about ep 6?

I mean so far, even with the lackluster opening and ending compared to season 1, ep 1 got off to a much much better start. It didn't take three eps to get in to things. Then again we kind of knew everything already but it was still somewhat of a recap.

So far the highlights of Arakawa this season have been
- spoiler[The Amazonian queen / ] whats on the far side of the river?
- More and more detail, or rather mystery of Nino's past. spoiler[ We see a photo of young Nino in ep 6, along with her parents getting in contact with her]
- The moe moe mangaka who wants to draw something more action packed.

Personally the mangaka bit is the best. Maybe it's cause of how the manga and anime industry are right now and it just plays off that factor.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
I think there was a sof hint that the mangaka was the creator putting themself in it.

Anyway best of all it appears that there is a plot, it was kind of revealed that spoiler[the mayor is pretending to act like a crazy who thinks he is a Kappa to protect Nino by makeing people wpuld avoid him. This was why anyone who wants to stay there has to pass it with he mayor.] Still Sister is my favourite, not realy any facts yet, but Sister spoiler[might also be on the act on protecting Nino and he too might dress strangly purely to avoid suspicion.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9