• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
SO EXCITED FOR THIS. I've been a big fan of the manga since before any of it was available in English, and honestly I figured it would continue to remain obscure in the States, so I'm really happy to see such a great series getting marketed over here.

Incidentally, for those going on about BL, Uraboku is about on the same level with your average CLAMP series. It has a lot in common with X actually. There's plenty of bishounen eye-candy and very hinted at stuff to draw in the fangirls, but it's not a romance, it's a plotty action/drama series. Well worth anyone's time whether they enjoy yaoi or not.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Edit: Or 3 out of six, since it seems there are now six shows instead of five on their lineup page again.

Uraboku was supposed to be announced yesterday so that probably messed up their 2010 list. They ended up changing the announcement dates again, they were listed before as all three on the 8th.

Last season they announced some titles after they had already aired (I think Fairy Tale was one) so even if something has already aired this year doesn't mean it wont get streamed.

Anyway, I won't be watching, but I'll just pass on it like a lot of the shows on CR, no need to groan about it. I will groan about them only getting 6 new titles after just loosing so many longer running shows.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope some of the other shows are actually something I want to watch. I mean, this wasn't exactly the most anticipated show of the season. Perhaps since Heroman cost a relatively large sum, they felt the need to get some cheaper shows. I don't see the creators of this show charging too much money for it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

You know, I'm sure there are people like that and they're very silly, but I didn't say that at all. I just see this being a one-note wonder, most likely. Hakuouki at least has handsome men + some swordplay action, apparently

Hakuouki+1 for historical & +3 for Nakajima character designs (Princess Princess anime. Trinity Blood anime. GetBackers anime) & +3 for some good VA's (Miki for one). However, it's a game title & that's -5 at least. (I have low expectations game based titles have much plot development. Pretty much drool over the bishies is all one expects which is nice when it's backed up with good VA's)

On the other hand, I was buying Asuka for this one. Odagiri's work is beautiful. I'd gamble considering the manga's been running for over 4 yrs & there are some excellent VA's associated with the project, this one should be much better.
Asuka isn't actually BL, is it? Doesn't it run BL-ish stuff like Yami no Matsuei & Kyo Kara Maoh? (IE-harem & undertone stuff as opposed to outright BL)

vashfanatic wrote:

Seriously, though, other than the much-anticipated Stan Lee/Japan hybrid Heroman, crunchyroll hasn't been getting the cream of the crop so far. I look at the list of remaining titles, and while I'd love to imagine that they'll get one of the Noitamina shows this season, I doubt it. Sad

That would be nice. Senko no Night Raid would floor me too. I'm also very curious about Rainbow.[/quote]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Loren Leah wrote:
Incidentally, for those going on about BL, Uraboku is about on the same level with your average CLAMP series. It has a lot in common with X actually. There's plenty of bishounen eye-candy and very hinted at stuff to draw in the fangirls, but it's not a romance, it's a plotty action/drama series. Well worth anyone's time whether they enjoy yaoi or not.

If that's true, then it might be worth a look. I don't have anything against gay relationships, but I want a good story in there too, not just the eye-candy! Since it's getting streamed, it's sure to be reviewed here at the site, maybe even the first two episodes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
lol at the fanboys complaining. God forbid a BL show on Crunchyroll! NOO we need more panties!!!

Truly pathetic. Rolling Eyes

Cause apparently it's too much to expect neither these days. Rolling Eyes
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they would get this the description sounded interesting. Heroman was good, but I have seen the other one yet. I find it funny that no one hardly complained when CR licensed GL or Yuri, but as soon as they license a BL all hell breaks loose.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
I find it funny that no one hardly complained when CR licensed GL or Yuri, but as soon as they license a BL all hell breaks loose.

You're kidding, right?
There were so many people complaining "CR gets nothing but yuri shows" it was ridiculous. On multiple occasions I posted links to CR's library and/or listed the past dozen new CR shows to show those people how silly they were being.

I generally ended those posts with the observation that "people see the patterns they want to see," which seems to apply to you as well. Laughing
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
lol at the fanboys complaining. God forbid a BL show on Crunchyroll! NOO we need more panties!!!

Truly pathetic. Rolling Eyes

Cause apparently it's too much to expect neither these days. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately, yes. It seems like there a larger percentage of shows that pander one way or another. Or maybe it's because the number of pandering shows have stayed the same, and the overall amount of shows being produced has dwindled.

At least CR is trying to cater to its female audience. Sure I would love to see intelligently written, beautifully animated shows too, but they are few and far between.
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It seems yaoi/BL and yuri are what sells in Japan and the companies want to export those contents to the West. If this is the trend on CR then saynora.

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
gorbal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I like the manga but I'm not so crazy about the trailer...I didn't like Durarara!!'s trailer either though.

It bothers me; not so much here as on crunchy ;that people are panning it without giving it a chance.

At least if this sucks their is always Togainu no Chi.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
lol, first it was zomg Crunchyroll gets nothing buts pantsu anime!

Anyways I'm not a huge fan of BL, although I can enjoy the more silly bishie stuff like Miracle Train (as opposed to the more melodramatic stuff), but yay for the fangirls! Cool

I'll take my Chu Bra with Hyakko, Gintama, Eyesheild 21, Aoi Hana, Ristorante Paradiso, School Days, Black Jack, Skip Beat, Chi's series Glass Mask, and Glass Maiden on CR thank you very much.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'll take my Heroman and Ichiban Ushiro as well. Razz
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
My brother loves to watch BL and shoujo so he can mine the shows for information about what women think is romantic. He even transformed himself into a bishie. I've learned from him that (1.) if a person really puts in the effort, they can change from a nerdy person into a total object of desire, and (2.) men aren't the only sex that can be scary stalkers. So, LOL. Some men do watch these shows, and not for what most people might think.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Some men do watch these shows, and not for what most people might think.

My hetero younger brother thinks Brokeback Mountain is a fantastic movie and should have won an Oscar, and that I need to get over my impression of it as bland melodrama and just watch the damn thing. Sometimes, it's just a matter of being open-minded enough to see if the story is good. We'll see if that holds true for Uragiri here. And that does need a shorter title...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3