• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm sometimes surprised at the stuff I'll end up liking. Usually I commit myself to four episodes, but sometimes I can tell in episode one if a show is going to be so cliche that it just isn't going to work for me.

Lately, I pretty much commit myself to any animated show that calls itself shoujo, (and even yaoi and BL) because I feel like they are becoming endangered species. When shows like that are licensed. I always try to support them by buying the DVD's if I can afford. Same goes for sports anime.

I plan on giving Uragiri the four episode test. It's on Crunchyroll, so I'm not out anymore money than I would spend anyway. I consider my membership fee as supporting Durarara, so anything else is just gravy...
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
It saddens me that no one is talking about the plot of Uraboku which is its true driving force. Uraboku is the story of a family and its allies who are preparing for another battle in an ages-long war with demons for control of an other world dimension. BL adds a shading to this plot, but it isn't Uraboku's primary focus as it was with Junjou Romantica for example.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd call Uraboku BL exactly, although it's clearly catered towards that sort of audience. It's also not especially fanservice-heavy - the characters are all ridiculously pretty and there are some rather ambiguous relationships between a lot of the male characters, but it's not the main focus of the series by any means.

It's definitely not a bad series, and certainly it looks very nice so hopefully the anime will look good as well. As a BL fan I found it entertaining, but the fantasy fan in me found it a bit cliché as well. It's not going to be to everyone's taste but it's not what I'd call niche either, and fans of fantasy should probably give it a try at least, BL fans or otherwise.

Last edited by poisondusk on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
If that's true, then it might be worth a look. I don't have anything against gay relationships, but I want a good story in there too, not just the eye-candy! Since it's getting streamed, it's sure to be reviewed here at the site, maybe even the first two episodes.

Honestly I'm surprised that Crunchy is outright marketing it as a BL series, because there's a heck of a lot more to it than that. I'm a yaoi fan myself, but I could care less about the hinted pairings in Uraboku, I follow it for the interesting and occasionally heartbreaking storyline.
Asamidori

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Hakuouki+1 for historical & +3 for Nakajima character designs (Princess Princess anime. Trinity Blood anime. GetBackers anime) & +3 for some good VA's (Miki for one). However, it's a game title & that's -5 at least. (I have low expectations game based titles have much plot development. Pretty much drool over the bishies is all one expects which is nice when it's backed up with good VA's)

It's also a visual novel, which are generally good for characters and/or stories. ...'Cept this is an Idea Factory title so I don't know how much you want to bet on it. (I am forever biased against IF stuffs though.) Just for reference, Air, Canon, and CLANNAD are all visual novels (and Key stuffs but that's another story).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3