• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-04-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
I find it highly amusing because it references Martin Niemöller. Kudos!
moritheil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Interesting point to make Razz
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
While this comic is pretty hilarious, I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry. etc.

While I do understand your position, I still found the comic strip funny because of the way the argument was framed. Acme Argument Rebuttal Company, anyone? ---Same argument, different subject matter.

I actually laughed out loud. Good job.
keikanki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Anime News Nina! wrote:
SEE?!! SEE, YOU ALL DO WANT TO BAN "BUUGA-TAN!" ""FIRST THEY CAME FOR THE COMMUNISTS, AND I DIDN'T SPEAK UP BECAUSE I WASN'T A COMMUNIST! THEN THEY CAME FOR THE YAKUZA, AND I DIDN'T SPEAK UP BECAUSE I WASN'T A YAKUZA!

Gotta say, not the best timing on someone's part in posting this particular sliver of satire on the same day the story of the Fukuoka lawsuit is out.

It may not be on some massive 1984-esque scale, it seems pretty clear from numerous recent ANN reports that sea changes are occurring a variety of communities spanning several continents in favor of imposing stiffer restrictions on a various forms of supposed "harmful" speech that could potentially have a significant impact on anime & manga content globally.

It was one thing to poke fun at people who invoked Niemoller months ago when Handley and Vampire Bund were the only things on the radar screen, but continuing to do so now brings to mind the esteemed career of Baghdad Bob...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
lol its reason why most nerds (not just otakus) or impossible to have a conversation with!

Bingo.

Though I would like to reiterate your most, not all. But you're right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giascle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
Anime News Nina! wrote:
SEE?!! SEE, YOU ALL DO WANT TO BAN "BUUGA-TAN!" ""FIRST THEY CAME FOR THE COMMUNISTS, AND I DIDN'T SPEAK UP BECAUSE I WASN'T A COMMUNIST! THEN THEY CAME FOR THE YAKUZA, AND I DIDN'T SPEAK UP BECAUSE I WASN'T A YAKUZA!

Gotta say, not the best timing on someone's part in posting this particular sliver of satire on the same day the story of the Fukuoka lawsuit is out.

It may not be on some massive 1984-esque scale, it seems pretty clear etc just look right up there

Wait, was the strip edited? It just says the original words.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
This is the best Anime News Nina since Ultimate Mop Daisuke Cool
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 am Reply with quote
Nice social commentary considering a few recent news regarding Japanese animes and manga.

Isn't the last guy appeared before as the purist?
BitShifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
The artist must have been reading the ANN forums Smile

Still, in a way, this strip almost minimalizes the issue. If the police had showed up at Handley's door and said, "We found this manga at the post office, and have decided it's so sick we're banning it. You can't have this copy," it wouldn't have been such a big deal. Instead, they seized all of his manga and computers, subjected him to psychological evaluation, threatened him with 20 years in prison, and sentenced him to 6 months. So the problem can run a little deeper than just someone not being able to get a copy of his favorite fetish manga.

After all, in some areas of the US, boogers could be ruled as obscene... Cool
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Most anime is violence and boobs, or it's programming for children. It's becoming somewhat different now that TV is the pretty much the only form the stuff comes out in, but that's how it was for the 90's.

not all anime from the 90's was about violence and boobs. there was a lot of good things that came out that had plenty of plot and good art work with out the violence and fan service. its the same now. plenty of good stuff but a ton of boobs and violence. sorry but i love me some 90's anime.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
Oh god this is classic. xD ...The whole "First they came for the lolis" link made me LOLOLOL.

But it is true; almost everything is censored now. *sighs* Americans need to embrace their sexuality more. I mean, sex is on TV but people are so afraid of sex.

Don't they know that's how they were born?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
Oh god this is classic. xD ...The whole "First they came for the lolis" link made me LOLOLOL.

But it is true; almost everything is censored now. *sighs* Americans need to embrace their sexuality more. I mean, sex is on TV but people are so afraid of sex.

Don't they know that's how they were born?

Way to miss the entire message of the comic Rolling Eyes ...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
I laughed so hard reading this comic. I would fit into the group that people would be upset at because I am a ecchi and fanservice junkie, but I don't get bent out of shape because someone says it's horrible that I am into that. I would basically say "you don't like, well that's fine with me" and end it at that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry.

The strip's entire purpose is to show just how stupid fans are when they fall into this idiotic bickering.

As for remaining on topic... I'll pass today. I'm saving my two cents for another flame-induced, bickering thread.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
I think it's important to distinguish between material that may offend some and material that outright violates the laws of a country. It's because the Japanese themselves feel that some of this material goes too far that they have tried to implement a law against it.

Based upon the reviews, the biggest offender this year seems to be KissxSis. It's almost as if they make this stuff just to get attention, the same way South Park did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5