• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh My Goddess TV, Genshiken, Hinotori, and Phantom Acquired by Media Blasters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucdawg12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
What has MB done to give anime fans a bad impression of them? Also, I highly doubt they only licensed AMGTV in order to shut down the fansubbers. You say that its bad that they licensed it so shortly after it premiered, but doesnt that mean it'll get here quicker than if they licensed it at the end of the series? Its still going to take the same amount of time to sub and dub it. I think its highly unlikely that they would work on it harder and bring it out quicker after the series has finished then before.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
The way I see it, there is no guarantee that it will be released anytime soon and considering that MB has been watching these fansub groups and saw the potential of AMG, they snatched it up thinking download numbers mean sales.

You want to watch your anime as soon as it hits the Japanese market? Then do like me: move to Tokyo and watch it on TV! (and pay exorbitant prices for DVDs)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
ucdawg12 wrote:
What has MB done to give anime fans a bad impression of them? Also, I highly doubt they only licensed AMGTV in order to shut down the fansubbers. You say that its bad that they licensed it so shortly after it premiered, but doesnt that mean it'll get here quicker than if they licensed it at the end of the series? Its still going to take the same amount of time to sub and dub it. I think its highly unlikely that they would work on it harder and bring it out quicker after the series has finished then before.

It's not just me that has this impression. I've visited many anime sites, message boards and the like and the general consensus is the same. Besides, you make the claim that the series will find its way quicker to DVD. Not true, since the AMG series has only just begun, there isn't a chance of this series being released to DVD before the first season is over. For Media Blasters to jump the gun and shut these sites down is poor judgement. Sure there are technical concerns with these fansub groups but just follow me for a moment.

[ANN: Please excuse the momentary sideline for just a bit]

When a series just debuts in Tokyo like with Ah My Goddess and Media Blasters has snatched it up they have the liscense in hand but there is less than a 5% chance that series will see release to DVD or even any hint at a release until the anime is over. MB, then, holds onto the porperty for over a year before making some kind of decision to release it. The FS groups then abide out of respect and stop their so-called projects.

Media Blasters has become so synonymous with hatred among the anime fans that the majority have resorted to bashing the company for their attempts. See the recent actions regarding Media Blasters attack against the webmasters of Anime Suki.

While it's true that MB does have a point, they are the only compnay who has resorted to this action, long before the anime will ever be released. If it wasn't for anime fans, fan subbing groups and dedicated anime clubs, the genre would never have succeeded to the point of where it is today.

I've been collecting anime since the early eighties, when an acquaintaince of mine mine lent me some of his fansubs and VHS copied anime tapes. That was my first introduction to anime and if it hadn't been for those fansubs, I would never have gotten into the genre of anime and manga.

Most other fans have similar stories and it's these groups who shine a brilliant light on this issue.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Whoot Genshiken is one of the best animes i Have ever seen.

of course I dont know wither to laugh or feel depressed when I watch it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Re: Ah My Goddess TV

MB's been okay on its releases of late. If there's a delay, it'll probably be to give the R2 release some breathing room and maybe wait for the current season/arc to finish (13-26 episodes). My real question is whether the series will air in the U.S. I can't see a place on CN's schedule for a romantic comedy that has so little real action (even less than Tenchi Muyo). On the other hand, it might be a great little gem for The Anime Channel... (Pity I can't get it. Anime cry )
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't remotely considering downloading Oh My Goddess TV, as I knew it would be licensed very, very quickly, but I was still expecting it to be announced at a bigger con later in the year and that it would be either Geneon or ADV which would get it (or, pipedream, AnimEigo).

I'm not particularly bothered by Media Blasters, but I hope the quality of their DVD releases have improved since their release of the Magic Knight Rayearth season 1 DVDs five years ago (the only Media Blasters DVDs I have), where the picutre and sound were reasonably good but there were a lot of odd things about the DVDs, like no time indexes for the episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Snip of lies.

Where are you getting this pack of lies from? As pointed out by someone to me, unknowingly, I had mentioned that Media Blasters had licensed this series BACK IN APRIL OF 2004.

1) That was MEDIA FACTORY (R2!) that sent the letter.
2) Of course they are not going to release it before the series ends. Most series are not released stateside until the last R2 DVD is out.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I already wasn't expecting it to be released Stateside (and Provinceside) until 2006, no matter who licensed it. I won't suddenly get bothered if Media Blasters announces that the first volume won't be out until next year, as some "lag time" between the Japanese DVD releases and the American DVD releases is completely normal and expected. Even as someone for whom OMG! TV is my most anticipated series (other than, maybe, the second half of Super Gals), I don't have the entitlement mentality that a show must be available really soon after the licensing announcement "or else", and there are shows from 2003 and 2004 that I never bothered downloading that I will buy in the meantime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Media Blasters is the new ADV. Don't blow it all on some live-action project which will fail to come to fruition, John!
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken at last! Great, really great news! Very Happy

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Media Blasters has acquired Ah My Goddess? This is very bad news for anime fans.

Bad news? I think you misplaces 'bad' with 'great' Smile

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard of an anime title getting release here in the states right after the intro of the series in Tokyo.

Seeing as certain series are being co-funded by non-Japanese publishers, it certainly isn't a new phenomenon to see a quick license nowadays.

Quote:
Sure it's good news that it means it MIGHT be on its way but somehow I doubt it.

Well, they wouldn't announce it if they didn't have it, now would they? Wink

Quote:
I can't help but see this as a means of shutting down some of the fansub groups because Media Blasters has a thing against Fansubbers.

On what info is this based? Sounds like unfounded whining to me. Fansubbing is tolerated until the series is licensed. If this simple rule is too hard to understand, kindly go find another hobby.

Quote:
Just a take a look at what happened with [this is a bittorrent site] and they only hosted links, no files.

Whee, and they thought they were being so smart and all Razz

Quote:
The way I see it, there is no guarantee that it will be released anytime soon

Indeed, there isn't. But then again, who are we to claim there's supposed to be a guarantee?

Quote:
...and considering that MB has been watching these fansub groups and saw the potential of AMG, they snatched it up thinking download numbers mean sales.

This is a perfectly normal reasoning. I bet that if I was an exec at an anime publisher, I'd think the same way. Oh, and maybe this didn't occur to you, but AMG is one of the household names of anime, especially outside of Japan. You might just as well act surprised that company X snatched up the rights to ... say... Akira2 Razz

Quote:
I'm doubtful that we'll see this series released before season one is completed and that means 2006, folks.

Let's wait and see what is announced before jumping to conclusions.

Quote:
While I don't want to sound like an optimist here,

Don't worry, you are most certainly not in the danger of even being remotely optimistic.

Quote:
Media Blasters isn't exactly looked upon with respect among anime fans. Why? Bad publicity among anime fans worldwide has caused this impact and mostly because of their actions.

Now are you are confusing MB with Anime Junkies? Really...

Quote:
Here's hoping that if they release it it'll be under the original VA cast but if Kodansha, TV Tokyo and AIC had any sense they would revoke the title from Media Blasters.

With that last remark, you proved are completely removed from reality. There isn't a company that would revoke a license, based on information grabbed out of thin air. Nothing has been confirmed about the voice cast. Hell, even if MB decided to pick another cast, that doesn't change anything for the Japanese. They never revoked a Streamline license on those grounds anyway Wink

Oh, and Figure 17 was a great MB release... maybe should watch that before you go and badmouth a company you obviously do not have any first hand experience with.

Last edited by Dejiko on Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Stop spreading false rumors about MB. You have no idea what you're talking about.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Oh My Goddess and was getting used to watching it on my computer. Oh well. I just loved the end theme.

Five bucks says Air gets licensed next week.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

Five bucks says Air gets licensed next week.

I will be horrifically shock if that happens. Shocked

(...in a good way, of course Wink ).
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
That would be shocking. It feels like July already for licenses. I would expect Gundam Seed Destiny to be licensed sometime soon too.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
AncientDragonValgaav wrote:
It feels like July already for licenses.

I know... maybe that's one effect that those digisubbers that have the pissing contests with who can put out episodes of sure-to-be-licensed-anyway-digisubs-or-not series on the Internet the fastest are having on the industry, that the biggest licensing announcements are being made much earlier in the year for these types of shows, just to stop those digisubbers who don't thumb their noses at the industry from being able to subtitile the whole series as it's being aired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4