• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh My Goddess TV, Genshiken, Hinotori, and Phantom Acquired by Media Blasters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

2) Of course they are not going to release it before the series ends. Most series are not released stateside until the last R2 DVD is out.

I don't think that's true any longer. Most series are released after they end simply because it takes so long to localize them and most animes only last 3-6 months. But several longer shows are now being released while they're still running-One Piece, Detective Conan, InuYasha, and now Zatch Bell and Naruto. Since Ah My Goddess TV doesen't have a set episode limit (and the producers have expressed their desire to adapt the entire manga if ratings permit) it could keep going for years. I don't think MB is going to want to wait that long to release such a hot commodity. It'll be out by the end of the year.

Tenchi wrote:
I'm not particularly bothered by Media Blasters, but I hope the quality of their DVD releases have improved since their release of the Magic Knight Rayearth season 1 DVDs five years ago (the only Media Blasters DVDs I have), where the picutre and sound were reasonably good but there were a lot of odd things about the DVDs, like no time indexes for the episodes.

Don't worry, they've gotten much better since then. Their Kenshin and Berserk DVD's are top notch, with time indexes and great video quality (plus, they didn't remove the previews like they did for MKR.) I'm really glad they got AMG,actually. They seem to be the only company that releases long series at more than three episodes a disc these days (Kenshin always had four or five) and at a consistant monthly schedule-it took less time to release all of it here than it took for it to air in Japan! MB's a great company, and it's a shame some people are badmouthing it because they can't understand that MB and Media Works are two completly different companies.

Yeesh, between AMG, Genshiken (YES!) Mosquiton, and Grenadier, Media Blasters is going to be getting a lot of my hardearned money this year.
agent007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
When the new series was announced, I was nervous about the cast and the story as well as the quality of the anime itself. This is the only Anime which I watch exclusively in Japanese with subs. Why? Simple: Belldandy's voice.

I stumbled on this series with OMG OVA in English; watched it in English first. Did not mind the voices. Then I tried the Japanese track and simply loved Belldandy's voice. The story and the slow pace along with the beautiful art keeps me a strong fan of this series.

I've had a chance to watch some fansubs ONLY because I love this series sooo much. I've never been tempted by fansubs upto this point. I must say that the art is just as good and I'm eagerly waiting for its release.

Personally, I don't mind either the movie cast or the orignal OVA cast, but I think because of the length and the span of the OVAs, I'm partial to the OVA cast. If someone were keeping track, I'd like to cast my vote for Cesario and Simpson.

There.

Now on to MediaBlasters--I think they're well within their rights to defend their property. I hope they realize that (as I have recently) that fansubbers are not the competition and indeed they are doing the US Anime industry a big favor by exposing die-hard (like me) and newbies to new stuff that they would otherwise never have encountered.

I've seen Figure 17 and I really liked it. The (engligh) voice acting was very good (the DVDs were pretty basic, though.) I'm sure they as a company will recognize that this is an important series for its fans and they will make the correct business decision to create a release that would make us buy their DVDs (despite me watching all of the fansubs) because we want to own and reward the people who created this art.

My wish is that they'd do a good job on the video transfer--the artwork is really cool-- and of course make the right decision on the VA cast. Oh yeah.. don't keep us waiting too long Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
WTF are you smoking? I love MB. They didn't call Kenshin "Samurai X", they took Berserk and many other titles out of licensing limbo, and they release some of the best live-action Asian films out there on dvd. Anyway, it's taken more than a decade for an Ah My Goddess tv show to even happen. You can wait a year to see it on dvd.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is the only Anime which I watch exclusively in Japanese with subs. Why? Simple: Belldandy's voice.

I usually prefer my Anime with Subtitles, but I completely agree with you about Belldandy's Japanese voice-actress. She's perfect for the job, and matches the character well. But then again, after the OVA, the movie, and the first few eps of the TV series, it's kinda hard to immagine anybody else Smile

For those who are concerned about the english VA cast, try going back to the OVA and watching w/subs. The original Japanese version is great, and is the same cast through the whole franchise.

Quote:
Five bucks says Air gets licensed next week.

I could deffinately see that. So far it's a really good show - a little bit o' comedy, action and drama all rolled together. Because of that, it doesn't narrow down the possible audience as much as a fighting or magical girl show would. And it's art is nothing to scoff at. I'd be surprised if this show DOESN'T get licensed soon.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I'd be surprised if this show DOESN'T get licensed soon.

Key/Visual Arts has a history of asking for enormous licensing fee (read: Kanon). There are many fans I know who are literally begging companies to license games and anime from Key/Visual Arts and release them from being pirate gamers and/or watchers. Twisted Evil

That's why I wouldn't bet my money on it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Bruce Lee wrote:
I'd be surprised if this show DOESN'T get licensed soon.

Key/Visual Arts has a history of asking for enormous licensing fee (read: Kanon). There are many fans I know who are literally begging companies to license games and anime from Key/Visual Arts and release them from being pirate gamers and/or watchers. Twisted Evil

That's why I wouldn't bet my money on it. Wink

yeah well considering how insanly popular there stuff is in japan well amoung Bishoujou fans they can afford to ask for a boatload of money.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
AncientDragonValgaav wrote:
That would be shocking. It feels like July already for licenses. I would expect Gundam Seed Destiny to be licensed sometime soon too.

It has the word "Gundam" in it. Bandai has it. From now until the end of time, as long as it has the word "Gundam" in it, Bandai will have it. Lay your fears aside.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Wow, guess I'm glad to be somewhat outside the anime community so I don't hate MediaBlasters. I'm always glad to see them get a title because, more than just about any other company, MB gives us Japanese extras--something almost non-existant from ADV & forget Funimation. They also put out a lot of one-shot OVA's some of which are very good. And they often give a high episode count.
I could really care less about Oh My Goddess(more excited about Mosquiton & Phantom)-Kikuko Inoue's in a lot of shows including Ranma (& played InuYasha's mom in InuYasha.) I just can't see how one could not have picked up a MediaBlasters title somewhere-Boku no Sexual Harassment, Level C, Fake, Earthian, Eight Clouds, & Mirage of Blaze for the yaoi fans, Berserk, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Zenki, Gokudo(great show), Kenshin, for the shonen fans, Saber MArionette R, Weiss Kreuz, Mouse, & Voogie's Angels for the fan service crowd.

Quality? Just about everyone I know who has seen 12 Kingdoms loves it. And I loved Here is Greenwood which they put out last fall. MediaBlasters accounts for about 100 of the dvds in my collection & they do it without cheating(3 eps per dvd-DBZ accounts for over 100 thanks to Funimation's lousy 3 ep per dvd.

I've always felt MediaBlasters gives us fans our money's worth, unlike Pioneer or Funimation who often give us low ep counts & practically no extras. Both are improving, but still feel somewhat all businessl to me.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Man, do I have to do a "There goes the neighborhood" post count here, too?

I don't remember if I'm repeating somebody, but let's look at it from a logics standpoint

-The OMG OVAs have been licensed.
-The OMG Movie has been licensed.
-The OMG chibi series (Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses) has been licensed.

Whether MB has ulterior motives or not, they only did the inevitable, only faster and possibly more cheaply.

As an aside, I think I saw the back of Bamboo's head at the Bandai panel... ^^;
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Okay Media Blasters, you've landed the other huge romance comedy franchise's BIGGEST release. Just as Funimation is the caretaker of the final chapter of the Tenchi OAV's, you are now the caretaker of the Oh! My Goddess TV series we fans have been praying, picketing, and shooting defenseless mailboxes over for over a decade.

We really, REALLY, are counting on you now. Please do us proud.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:30 am Reply with quote
most companies don't release anything till the show(if it's a short one...in other words doesn't go past 26 or so eps) ends. MB isn't the only one to follow this. The first dvd of last exile came out a couple months after the end of the show, that was actually the fastest release I have ever seen. So I don't see why any would hate MB for this. You most likely are confusing them with the Japanese company Media Works. Go back and check your hatred. Also, MB isn't the only company to license shows early. ADV does it all the time. And ADV is more notorious for releasing things late. Wandaba Style...licensed pretty darn early....came out pretty damn late. It's just now coming out, and they had the license since back in 2003. Anyway, I don't care about the dubs for anything, since I don't watch it, but MB has come out with Kenshin, and those are mighty fine.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:15 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This doen't absolutely mean that Media Blasters will use a new cast.

The original AnimEigo cast is probably pretty impossible to bring together given that the studio that dubbed it moved to another city (Costal). But it's still possible.

More possible would be the option to use Geneon's cast.

But in all likelyhood, I'd expect MB to go with a new cast. If you're really against the cast change, make your voice heard to them, they have have a rep in this forum.

-t
Hmm. Any reason ANN doesn't have a "Studio Feedback" type forum like at AoDVD Tempest?
Kudos to whoever can guess who the MB rep on this thread is. Wink

BTW. The way I understand the VA-ing business, by talking with a few, is that they are mostly "freelance". So unless they are actually contracted by a particular studio as permanent staff, or are not busy doing something large, I can't see why MB couldn't at least try to get the original "AnimEigo" VA's for AMG, at least for the three goddesses.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Very often MediaBlasters goes with the West Coast groups-Bang Zoom, Animaze, etc.
Guess who Pioneer used for the movie--Animaze.
Guess who Pioneer used for Mini-Goddesses--Animaze.
Short of them going with NYAV Post(which they sometimes do & which is one of the studios that still seems to feel superior to the product they're dubbing), there's an excellent chance they might get Ruby Marlowe, etc. for the dub since it's the West Coast set of actors.

Why do so many people panic over the dubbing? Even the Japanese VA's changed every once in awhile. I have no problen with Saiyuki Reload. Yes, I loved ADV's main cast, but their extras cast wasn't always up to par with them. OK, I tend to prefer the West Coast batch, but even if the dub is totally messed up, one can watch the sub(a few exceptions like Rave MAster). So even should MediaBlasters not give this one to the West Coast set of actors, it looks like we have Kikuko Inoue, Aya Hisakawa, etc. still in the Japanese cast.

And with it being MediaBlasters, if there's any extra content on the Japanese dvds(like cast interviews) there's an excellent chance it'll make it into the American release. I've bought MediaBlasters OVA releases on the basis of the extras alone--$22 for an anime I've never heard of that includes cast interviews? Why not? I own a lot of ADV, but I think MediaBlasters is probably my fav for the way they treat the fans. Yes, they're a business like anyone else & maybe not even anime fans like ADV, but they throw in lots of extras to tempt the buyer with or offer value(high episode count dvds).
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Actually, I discovered the email address for Scott SImpson and Juliet Cesario (a lot of research and dedication on my part ... I'm so happy to get Belldandy's email address) and they will live in the same area where Coastal Studios was formed.

While they no longer work in the VA business, ever since Coastal moved its operations out of state and changed its name to Phoenix Sound, it's not advantageous to fly VA's in and out of the studios. This is mostly due to the low budgets for VA's.

The two have expressed interest in returning to the business, as they indicated in their email to me.

Everyone can now bow to me in grace. BELLDANDY AND JULIET CESARIO RULE!!!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

While they no longer work in the VA business, ever since Coastal moved its operations out of state and changed its name to Phoenix Sound, it's not advantageous to fly VA's in and out of the studios. This is mostly due to the low budgets for VA's.

ADV's been doing it with some titles. Crispin Freeman as Zelgadis on Slayers Premium, part of the Soul Taker cast for Nurse Witch Komugi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4