• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Urasawa, Tatsumi, Taniguchi Nominated for 2010 Eisners

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap. 20th Century Boys and Pluto are some of my favorite comics of all time, and they're going head to head against legit awesome American comics at the Eisners (two of them also some of my favorites; Fables and The Walking Dead). Its so great to see great Manga get the legitimacy they deserve at these award events.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Not that I don't appreciate Urasawa's stuff being eligible for an Eisner, but the category should be cooler.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the other three, but I can confidently say that The Walking Dead has nothing, absolutely nothing on 20th Century Boys. Heck, I liked TWD enough to read it all in one sitting but the comparison is unfair to what IMO is Urasawa's best work.
Actually, I recently read the first volume of Fables. I'm not one to dismiss a whole series based on one single issue or TPB - even the best ones have their occasional crappy episodes or arcs - but the whole idea of classic fairy tales characters acting out a pedestrian CSI plot didn't excite me at all. I'll get around to reading more, but it's not a priority right now.

Much love to Pluto as well, but as I don't know anything about the current state of American superhero comics - I only catch the Batman titles here and there, and a little bit of Blackest Night, but that's it - I can't make any sort of call here.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please let this be Urasawa's year!
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I can only hope not, and a worthy contender like Tatsumi or Taniguchi wins, which will give manga some legitimacy. But I can see no reason why Urasawa won't win, since there has been no shortage of undeserved praised heaped upon his two-dimensional melodramas.

To think that Oldboy once won this award. Sad
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I can only hope not, and a worthy contender like Tatsumi or Taniguchi wins, which will give manga some legitimacy.

Taniguchi and Tatsumi aren't competeing in the same categories as he is. Maybe they can all win and we can all be happy. Very Happy
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't say how it compares to the other series (which I have not read) but Oishinbo is a great read. It's almost like a textbook blended into a manga. I find myself re-reading these books to try retain all the details and knowledge buried within. It seems to me kind of difficult to compare a book like this to something like Pluto. Good luck to all!
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved Pluto's adult take on the Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy universe. His recent work, Billy Bat, is great.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Although it's kind of hokey and overly sentimental, my favourite amoung the Asian nominees is the Color Trilogy. They changed it from Japan to Asia for this one, so I think others must feel the same?

The only one I haven't read at all is Jiro Taniguchi's work, but all the others are great manga. Oishinbo probably shouldn't win, solely because it's not being presented in chronological order. I mean, there are translator notes for the story in the appendix, and I find that really sad. Yeah, it would be a monster to bring it over here in chronological order, not to mention economically illogical and I do appreciate what I do get to read, but should the "a la carte" editions be nominated for a "Best US Edition of foreign material", especially with so much other manga out there? My answer is Hell No.
JGonspy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand the Eisner awards sometimes, they seem to choose things at random when it comes to winners and nominations.

Hopefully this time around they'll have to acknowledge something of Urasawa's when both Pluto and 20th Century Boys have so many nominations.
dho332

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
i watched some monster. More satisfying than watching paint dry, less satisfying than monster energy lo carb (the only one i drink[blue])
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
dho332 wrote:
i watched some monster. More satisfying than watching paint dry, less satisfying than monster energy lo carb (the only one i drink[blue])

Many reviewers have argued that, in being as faithful as it was to the manga (basically 2 chapters an episode, like clockwork), the anime became poorly paced and that you should read the manga instead. I mean, personally I'm not one of them, which maybe is because I watched the anime first... and because I watched it all rather quickly rather than a few episodes at a time. Try the manga and see if you like it better. It may just not be your thing, which is fine. Smile
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
As big a fan of Urasawa as I am, I did not care for the first two volumes of Monster. Something about it didn't 'click' for me.

Strangely the entire time I was reading it I was thinking... "This is like, if Death Note was GOOD. But its not like Death Note at all. Why am I thinking of Death Note?"

Not my cup of tea unfortunately.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I was intrigued right away by the characters' relationships to one another and how the drama felt more original and thought-out than most series out there. But I've also felt that the series in general dragged majorly after spoiler[Tenma tried to kill Johan at the library.] Everything after feels like filler.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
20th Century Boys is my favorite manga of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2