• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Training Your Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
(will Caldwell someday re-do his classic VHS rips?)
He retired from the AMV world a long time ago, so chances are pretty slim.

There's a higher-quality version of the Engel-Evangelion video floating around on Youtube, though the timing is slightly off compared to the original.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Very nice reviews. I loved Eva 1.11 and One Piece S2P5 (though I've seen Part 6 by now.....), and I need to get the Dragonball sets eventually. Also, nice shelves this week.

The best Evangelion AMV for me will always be "Evangelion Opus" (using Queen's Bohemian Rhapody). There have been other good ones I've seen, but that one is king.
NeoQuixotic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
(will Caldwell someday re-do his classic VHS rips?)
He retired from the AMV world a long time ago, so chances are pretty slim.

There's a higher-quality version of the Engel-Evangelion video floating around on Youtube, though the timing is slightly off compared to the original.

The fan remastered version of Engel. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=35122
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Not the best Shelf Life (considering the past), but given her situation, it could've been a LOT worst.

Which situation do you mean, exactly? The situation where I took two weeks off to work on my panels and go to a con? Or do you mean the situation where I had reviewed previous seasons of everything already?

purplepolecat wrote:
Bravo Erin, you sure know your classic AMVs. Up until now I thought there was some unwritten rule at ANN that any reference to AMVs had to be sarcastic and dismissive. Razz

Man, that is pretty harsh! I love AMVs, and I love going to Anime Weekend Atlanta because they not only have a whole AMV room and AMV programming track, but all of the really great editors go there. I'm really sad I missed Anime Boston's contest this year (and last year, because of timing). I'm a big believer in watching contests at cons, because the AMVs have been screened by a jury and the videos tend to work properly. I hate watching them on youtube because the precision of the cuts gets lost in crappy streaming video.

doctordoom85 wrote:
The best Evangelion AMV for me will always be "Evangelion Opus" (using Queen's Bohemian Rhapody). There have been other good ones I've seen, but that one is king.

That is also a classic, for sure. It may have been spoiled in my memory by subsequent bad Bohemian Rhapsody AMVs.

KoujiTamino wrote:
I think I'm the only person in the world who not only couldn't stand Akira, but also prefers Steamboy. And no, I'm not joking.

I believe you! I saw Steamboy twice, in theaters. I tried to love it. The visuals are really great, but the plot and characters need work. It was my dream for several years to do a Steamboy fandub with a new plot and new characterizations. Unfortunately, I'm not a Time Lord.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
With those Dragon Ball season sets, one wonders if Funimation won't eventually put out a Dragon Box release of the original series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which situation do you mean, exactly? The situation where I took two weeks off to work on my panels and go to a con? Or do you mean the situation where I had reviewed previous seasons of everything already?

Yeah, pretty much. All of your deadlines mentioned at the top of the article.
Good article, but... unexpected nonetheless.
swienke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I hate watching them on youtube because the precision of the cuts gets lost in crappy streaming video.

I feel like they've actually gotten a lot better about that. I've found lots of really great, sharp, high quality AMV's on youtube in the past year or so, although 90% of the AMV's there are still pretty terrible. But once you find the right editors and start using their favorites lists to find new ones, you'll find that there's some fantastic, HD quality stuff floating around.

As for great Evangelion AMV's, I can really think of only one right now: "Eliminate, Extirpate, Asphyxiate..." by Shinnie04. It's fairly recent, but it blew me away the first time I saw it. It's...disturbing, but in an awesome way.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
eehhhh not the most anticipating. Rolling Eyes

You should look words up before you use them.

I heard something more along the lines of:
'I do no think that word means what you think it means'
Very Happy
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
If you've never seen Evangelion, and you self-identify as an anime fan, you really ought to watch it. If you're short on time, check out this movie, then maybe watch the original series if you thought it was interesting. I'm a big believer that some shows are "canon" for the U.S. fanbase. I was really shocked to find at Anime Boston that a lot of the crowd hadn't seen Akira. Akira is definitely canon, and Shelf Worthy

Yep. Although it's kinda sad that something like this even needs to be pointed out. Sad
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
I think I'm the only person in the world who not only couldn't stand Akira

I thought it was a terrible movie. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
I've found lots of really great, sharp, high quality AMV's on youtube in the past year or so...you'll find that there's some fantastic, HD quality stuff floating around.

Streaming in general has greatly improved in the last year. However, I don't know if it's my crappy connection or my ancient computer, but I can't play HD youtube videos at home without a lot of choppiness. On crunchyroll I always use "SD" mode.

JuicyB wrote:
Erin wrote:
Akira is definitely canon, and Shelf Worthy

Yep. Although it's kinda sad that something like this even needs to be pointed out. Sad

It's not sad, we're just old, that's all. I mean I am old, I don't know about you...

FlyingFox wrote:
I thought it was a terrible movie. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It's definitely not for everyone. I thought it was strangely paced and inexplicable the first time I saw it. Now I recognize it as an achievement in film making and animation. I can certainly acknowledge that it is not the most accessible film. I believe that it is something all anime fans need to see once, when they're old enough, even though they might hate it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
[Akira]'s definitely not for everyone. I thought it was strangely paced and inexplicable the first time I saw it. Now I recognize it as an achievement in film making and animation. I can certainly acknowledge that it is not the most accessible film. I believe that it is something all anime fans need to see once, when they're old enough, even though they might hate it.

The first time I saw it, I recognized immediately the marvel of animation and music that I was seeing before me (especially the music, if CDs could wear out my copy of that soundtrack would have died a long time ago). But the story was very confusing. The second time through I paid closer attention and, when I squinted, I could just sort of make out what was going on at the end.

And then I read the manga, at which point I realized the story had basically cut from the end of volume 2 to the start of volume 6, skipping both the character growth and the very careful New Age-style explanations of just what exactly the hell is going on. Honestly, there was enough material in the manga for two or three movies. This is definitely the best one-movie condensation you could ask for, but it still would have been better if given more space.

That said, my initial reaction to the art still stands. As you watch Tetsuo transform in the grand finale, remember this was made in 1989, before computers did everything for animators. It is mind-blowing.

I need to get out and find me a copy of the Evangelion reboot. I've been looking forward to it since I first heard about it, and it's probably been out long enough for a library somewhere to have it for me to borrow and watch. If not, we force one to make a purchase!!
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion 1.11. was the exact reason why I didn't buy Evangelion 1.01. I KNEW a month after it came out a fancier edition would arrive.
It's definitely something I'm getting once my tax return shows up.

Oh, and the Evangelion OST is in my top three anime soundtracks. Right next to FLCL and Samurai Champloo...

Hmm, I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't really sat down and watched Akira.... *gets shot*
But, when you've read most of the manga and seen so many clips of it like I have, it's not like I don't know what it is.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Seems you actually reviewed Season 2 5th voyage of One Piece, though the picture and title say 6th.

Yeah, I was hoping someone else noticed too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
You were at MoCCA Fest? I was there on Sunday, and I wish I had gotten the chance to say hello!

The panels were awesome, but I found the Exhibition room a bit confusing...there were a lot of people trying to sell photocopied versions of their webcomics, which is fine, except the only webcomic author I follow* wasn't able to make it, so I couldn't figure out the style/plots/quality of most of what was offered.

I've been a fan of your reviews since you wrote about manga at PopCultureShock, so I'd love to know which grahic novels and webcomics seen at MoCCA you'd reccomend.

Are there any plans in the works for you to start reviewing print stuff here at ANN? I love Carlo, but it'd be nice to have a little (gender and) taste variety in the manga reviews here.

*her name is Dylan Meconis, and she's currently writing a wonderfully historical tale called Family Man @ Lutherlevy.com I'd read more webcomics on the actual web if it were possible on an old Blackberry Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4