• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (TV)

Genres: drama, horror, romance, thriller
Themes: abuse, boxing, delinquents, prison

Plot Summary: Seven teenagers in 1955 have to learn to live together in the same hold in the reformatory of Shio. Confined in a hall where suffering and humiliation are daily, they are waiting for a ray of hope in a dark, incarcerating world. The story follows their life together and how they move on afterwards.
----------------------------------

Note that this first post will contain first episode's spoilers uncovered.

Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (TV)
Quote:
Plot Summary: Seven teenagers in 1955 have to learn to live together in the same hold in the reformatory of Shio. Confined in a hall where suffering and humiliation are daily, they are waiting for a ray of hope in a dark, incarcerating world. The story follows their life together and how they move on afterwards.

Episode titles: ANN has 13.

My take:

Seven teenagers, imprisoned for light crimes for 2 years, meet Sakuragi(aka Senpai, Bro) in their first day at jail, but just before they had to undergo a prostate exam. Just like any other hot-headed teenager, their first interaction was a fight within their prison cell, a seven against one fight; they failed miserably. Once the guards caught up, the head jailer(I presume) appeared to simply show off his power as a head jailer, but who also failed as the doctor pedophile appeared and taught him a valuable lesson about how to valorize the children, specially because he likes smooth skin. Once the spanking is complete, Sakuragi lights the cigarette he received from Joe(aka Mr. Blue Eyes), and shares it with the rest of the gang while intros are done off-camera.

Well, I must admit that the beginning of the episode really grabbed my interest, specially the bus scene. The prison incident wasn't as much, but I suppose they did a good job at introducing the characters as they got punched. Hopefully they'll manage to create more scenes like the one they did at the beginning(though that's going to be hard as it looks like the anime will take place inside the prison during all episodes), and perhaps extend it a little bit.
The anime seems quite promising, and violent; so far I consider it one of the best of this Spring, and I expect it to end up as one of my three favorite anime from this season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Didn't finish the episode. I don't know if it's my mood tonight or what, but just didn't feel up to watching something grim and joyless. The series seems pretty committed to being realistic in its portrayal of the cruelty and humiliation these young offenders had to go through and I guess these days I'm looking for somewhat lighter/more escapist fare. It does look like a well-done show, but right now it's not my cup of Ovaltine.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
This one's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I like the mood and chemistry with the prisoners. But things feel a wee bit melodramatic spoiler[with the crooked cop and pedophile of a doctor supervising things, as well as the narrator seeming to rub in your face the harshness about to be faced by the prisoners.] I'll give this show a few more episodes to see where it's gonna go with its plot direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
illustrata

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
The supposed grittiness didn't feel gritty at all for the simple fact that it was soooooo melodramatic. I'm not sure if this is the same as with the manga, or perhaps it's all due to that godawful Kiba director, but lmao, much?
BMJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I found the first episode to be captivating. It reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption. A decent guy gets tossed in a brutal prison, how will he survive?

The show looks very promising to me. The art is excellent, with the characters distinct and the very sparing and careful use of color. Compare the beautiful opening scene with the tree to the bleak bus scene thereafter. The OP shows everything inside the prison as monotone grey, except the pools of water reflecting the picturesque sky.

I'm expecting great things from this series, I hope future episodes can live up to what the first promises.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Didn't like the 2nd EP very much.

They went WAY WAY over the top with the characters abuse.

spoiler[I mean, his mother abandon him and his sister, then he's got raped by the fat old ugly orphanage director, and when he's seventeen he got imprison and beat up and got abuse by the guards on daily basis when his last bit of hope is to meet up with his sister again some day, and when he finally reunite with her she tells him she doesn't want to see him any more.. Confused

It's just too much!
And that Spoon too.. A nuclear bomb explode near where he was and nothing happens to him? And when he come back to his home to see what happened.. and he doesn't get exposed to any sort of radiation? yeah.. that make a *LOT* of sense Confused ]
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Pedophile count = 3!

I'm quite liking all the violence. Actually, that's most likely the best thing about this anime(besides the op). Though I thought this second episode felt rather unaccomplished. We don't know exactly what happened to spoiler[his sister] afterwards, but if I'm to use my imagination based on facts I'd say she was adopted by pedophile #2, and obviously, raped. 10 years later she has earned his trust and money, so she's finally ready to kill pedophile #2, and live happily with her brother afterwards.
Now, back to the present. We won't presence innocent boy's punishment for escaping, as third episode is already skipping over to another part of the plot(while this punishment is definitely what would be considered cruel, if presented).

Note #1: How did his best friend actually stood up to being eaten by Cerberus*?
*aka pedophile #3

Note #2: Pedophile #1 has yet to open the curtains.
psycho_kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
Rainbow is impressing the hell out of me so far. I do like the gritty nature of it, but its that I'm connecting with the characters right off the bat that I dig.

Epic, I hope we get to see 20 volumes of manga covered here.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Up to episode 3. I have mixed feelings about this series. I do like this kind of drama: people at their lowest are always interesting, and it's a good education about life. The in-depth look at what happened and how they've fallen so low is what makes those stories good. In Rainbow it's all doom and gloom without the elaborate "in-depth look" I value so much. There seems to be no hope (I prefer where there is some). Another thing is the show is corny at times, and overall story and execution doesn't make an impact I was expecting. So far it's worth watching, but not more.

kpk wrote:
And that Spoon too.. A nuclear bomb explode near where he was and nothing happens to him? And when he come back to his home to see what happened.. and he doesn't get exposed to any sort of radiation? yeah.. that make a *LOT* of sense

Depending where Spoon had been while bomb exploded the radiation dose he got would be different. If you look at the hair on his head you'll notice some bald spots so he did get exposed at some level.

egoist wrote:
We don't know exactly what happened to spoiler[his sister] afterwards, but if I'm to use my imagination based on facts I'd say she was adopted by pedophile #2, and obviously, raped. 10 years later she has earned his trust and money, so she's finally ready to kill pedophile #2, and live happily with her brother afterwards.

If I use my rich imagination (Rolling Eyes) rape is only small part of what could happen to her. Depending on what kind of person pedophile #2 is her life could be beyond miserable, possibly ending with suicide/murder. Otherwise she'd have to have a very strong character to survive and preserve her sanity. Also, the fact that pedophile #2 pretty much bought her suggests her position... not a happy story.

Which is what I mean by doom and gloom, I see no light at the end of the tunnel. Don't get me wrong, there are amazing series elaborating on human depravity without good end (School Days) and with it (Now and Then, Here and There). Only I doubt Rainbow has what it takes to achieve that level of masterpiece.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...possibly ending with suicide/murder

I'd cross "suicide", as there's still her brother. I would also cross "murder", as she's too cute to be killed by pedophile #2(after all, he knows he can't find a cutie like that everyday).
But that's just a minor and unneeded part of the plot.

Quote:
Which is what I mean by doom and gloom, I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, there is. As they said in episode 1, they will be out in two years(or did I possibly get it wrong). So, two years is the goal, and I can't imagine all of them getting killed(perhaps one or two, but I really doubt that, because then the Rainbow would be incomplete).

By the way, a few days ago I just realized why the anime is called Rainbow(just the tip of the iceberg, in case each color corresponds to each of them). Because there are seven of them...(yeah perhaps I'm too slow, but that came out of the blue while I was at work).

And Tea Spoon is voiced by a lady.

Quote:
Only I doubt Rainbow has what it takes to achieve that level of masterpiece.

Haven't seen the other, but School Days wasn't promising either. It just became good after the last episode. Otherwise, I'd be just another softcore hentai covered with plenty of melo melo melodrama. Melodrama that was justified by the ending.

Melow. Compared to Aoi Bungaku this darkness is nothing; or is it? No, no, just kidding. Or am I?
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
...possibly ending with suicide/murder

I'd cross "suicide", as there's still her brother. I would also cross "murder", as she's too cute to be killed by pedophile #2(after all, he knows he can't find a cutie like that everyday).
But that's just a minor and unneeded part of the plot.

Of course pedophile #2 would never kill her! The first time I saw her brother I thought he was pretty, and she, being naturally blond with blue eyes, must be considered a rare breed (yes I am a bastard for objectifying women... don't like it people? BITE ME!). Murder would obviously be done by her, while she also might commit suicide out of desperation; I thought I was more or less clear on that.

There is another thing that makes her stand out. She realized the position they, orphans, were in. She clearly told her brother that the only way for them to survive is to be used by others, so she definitely new what was coming. That kind of character strength(desperation?) is admirable. I wouldn't mind watching/reading her story alone...

Only I guess that was the last of her we'll see. I hope the series has more of this juicy stuff.

About slight School Days bashing... won't bother to defend it this time. I'll only say that you'll never be able to convince me that it's a weak melodrama because I am already convinced of its' greatness (GODLIKENESS!!!).

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't mind watching/reading her story alone...

Yep, I also thought that more would be quite welcome, but I suspect they want to focus one episode on each character then move on with the major plot(whether there's one). Regardless, we might see her if they ever leave the jail(presumably in two years).

Quote:
About slight School Days bashing... won't bother to defend it this time. I'll only say that you never be able to convince me that it's a weak melodrama because I am already convinced or its' greatness (GODLIKENESS!!!).

Oh, I was comparing the first episodes only, while completely ignoring the rest(obviously we're comparing a complete anime to a incomplete one, so I thought I had to shorten that handicap a little). Bashing or not, I do consider the first episodes of School Days weak, and composed of melodrama up to late episodes. But, unlike what you seem to be claiming, I never said it was bad. It was all justified by the end of the series, thus making all the melodrama needed. Well, I even remember defending this series in some "melodrama" thread.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
On the one hand I think this could be a really important story to tell/ watch.

On the other hand the melodrama is killing me and making it hard to take seriously. The second episode was a killer, such a groaner my head was hurting from wincing. The translation I got seemed to be pretty bad too, so it was also confusing. spoiler[When Joe escaped it kept saying that two kids escaped?]

The third was better, but that guy is so ridiculously evil it is ... well, ridiculous. And if you didn't get it from his actions, the proof is in his unblinking and perfectly round eyes and death-like grinning visage when he spoiler[describes leaving the kids in the burning cell.]

I'd drop it but I am curious of the outcome and the melodrama is so bad I think the only way to bear it is in a small weekly dose. I could never marathon this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd drop it but I am curious of the outcome and the melodrama is so bad I think the only way to bear it is in a small weekly dose. I could never marathon this show.

Hmm, I failed to catch any melodrama this episode. Perhaps because the term melodrama varies from one to another.

That jailer turned out to be exactly what I expected. Evil? Hmm, to me he looks like a idiotic coward trying to kill someone before he's killed. But yeah, evil is probably a good description.

I'm really curious to see what An-chan's explanations are. I mean it's not everyday you see a boy that youngspoiler[ killing his parents], but despite that he looks like a nice person. So, I expect to see him giving a very good reason that would explain his past action(like having evil parents, who did devilish stuff, like selling his sister to a pedophile).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Dropping it.

I got through Episode 4 a couple nights ago, a decent, if cliche ridden, resolution of the fire story but I was thinking how horrible it would be if they tried to drag this out for 24 episodes.

And as I started watching episode 5 tonight, with these guys talking about their dreams under the tree, I realized that there was still not a single real character in the cast, merely caricatures. That between the romantic idealization of macho brotherly camaraderie and melodramatic horror there was absolutely no room for anything close to reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2