• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:
While temperatures and humidity were about the same between there and my home around Atlanta, at that time, the AC is running within an inch of its life. In Japan, there were only a few places like that (arcades, pachinko parlors, a couple large department stores).

In recent years, the Japanese government has been trying to encourage a culture of energy conservation, most notably in the form of turning down the AC (and changing perceptions so that it's okay for businessmen to work without business jackets, to cope with it).

True. I remember reading about businesses in Japan only keeping the temperature at 80F. Apparently the high indoor temperature wasn't as big of a deal as the fact that men could go without ties.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
I am disappointed that a reputable company like Funimation would upscale a standard definition title to HD and then sell it as a Blu-Ray.

Well, Japan does it too, but probably better? I wouldn't know the quality though...
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:
I am disappointed that a reputable company like Funimation would upscale a standard definition title to HD and then sell it as a Blu-Ray.

Well, Japan does it too, but probably better? I wouldn't know the quality though...
There are occasional horrors (the infamous AIR BDs), but Japanese distributors rarely seem to bother with upscales, at least compared to Funi.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
There are occasional horrors (the infamous AIR BDs), but Japanese distributors rarely seem to bother with upscales, at least compared to Funi.

There are plenty of Japanese upscaled blu-rays, but there are so many more anime blu-ray releases in general that they don't make up a very large portion of all releases, while here most releases so far have been upscales. Amongst recent releases, Stellvia and the OVA portion of Read or Die look pretty bad.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
edzieba wrote:

There are plenty of Japanese upscaled blu-rays, but there are so many more anime blu-ray releases in general that they don't make up a very large portion of all releases, while here most releases so far have been upscales. Amongst recent releases, Stellvia and the OVA portion of Read or Die look pretty bad.

Read or Die? Really? Almost considered saving up for it :/
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

Read or Die? Really? Almost considered saving up for it :/

Screenshots here

The TV series looks better than the OVAs, but nothing spectacular. Though Stellvia looks far worse (search the same blog for those screenshots), about as bad as one of the bad Funi upscales.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:
While temperatures and humidity were about the same between there and my home around Atlanta, at that time, the AC is running within an inch of its life. In Japan, there were only a few places like that (arcades, pachinko parlors, a couple large department stores).

In recent years, the Japanese government has been trying to encourage a culture of energy conservation, most notably in the form of turning down the AC (and changing perceptions so that it's okay for businessmen to work without business jackets, to cope with it).

That's very true; I guess rather than the "availability of AC", I should have said something like "the use of AC". It was, never the less, a stark contrast to how things were here.

Petrea Mitchell wrote:
And the government is trying to lead by example with its own buildings, which means Narita Airport is right at the forefront of the conservation movement. I came off the plane dressed for a normal air-conditioned airport. Hoo boy.

I didn't notice it really in Narita, Haneda or Fukuoka airports. It wasn't until I was walking about during the daylight hours of my first day there that I started noticing the oppressive heat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5