• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu Entertainment USA Subsidiary Established in California

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
It's just another case of the Japanese thinking "Oh we can do it better! You guys aren't doing it right."
From their perspective, we probably aren't. Anime isn't as big in the US as it is in Japan, so obviously someone needs to show American companies how to sell a foreign product to the American masses.

I hope Dentsu minds the cultural gap.

In the US, the only things that sell are the anime and manga, whereas companies get a huge chunk of revenue in Japan from merchandise. Also, the US is used to paying less than what the Japanese pay for movies ($40 for a normal DVD) and anime ($50 for 2 episodes) so there's a lot more at work than just Stupid Americans.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
ZenErik wrote:
Interesting news. More major players would be nice. I'm a bit sick of Funimation licensing everything and releasing it with shitty packaging and up to 7 episodes on a disc..

As if they're the only company doing that. *looking at Sentai and their awful STACKpaks*

Yes but releasing like this shows their understanding of the American market. People want to pay less for the product, so they have to skimp on the packaging and extras. I guess we'll have to see how these new guys release and what their price points will be.

I understand that people want to pay less, but the prices aren't that much lower considering all the features taken out and crappy packaging.

Compare a $50 MSRP on a show like Aria the Animation and everything that comes with it (great art box, 4 discs, tons of interviews and other extras, 40+ page booklet) to a $60 MSRP on a show like Spice and Wolf in a single DVD case with 13 episodes on 2 discs...

Maybe RightStuf gets their licenses dirt cheap (I don't really know much about the industry), but something doesn't make sense there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes but you're forgetting that Spice & Wolf has a dub, which costs a lot of money, so the higher MSRP is warranted.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Yes but you're forgetting that Spice & Wolf has a dub, which costs a lot of money, so the higher MSRP is warranted.

I wouldn't say it is compared to all the extra features and nicer packaging of Aria. With no dub, it's not like Funimation would have dropped the price to $40. It would have probably still been at least $50, with the same crappy packaging and no extras on 2 DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
Maybe we'll get some Basquash! and possibly a re-release of Bt'X.

Or...

SHIN GETTER ROBO VS. NEO GETTER ROBO!!!

While I would love for B't X to get an actual proper release and I would absolutely love to finally get Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter on R1 DVD, it's the only recent Getter Robo anime to not come over, afterall, I'm not going to keep my hopes up for them... But I would love to be proven wrong.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if they are hiring...cause my last name is Dent...

Hopefully they can shake up things in the USA, especially with certain stores really reducing the stock of anime (every Best Buy I go to I have noticed that they are reducing yet again, even the store near the mall...)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
You guys have gotten WAAAAAAY ahead of yourselves here. Nobody has said anything about this division releasing DVDs. The article says they're going to be managing properties. That means finding buyers for their IP, marketing and rights sales. Doesn't say they're producing anything.

I'd be shocked, given their experiences with Geneon USA, if Dentsu was in any hurry to repeat that little cluster-fack and go back to a market that people who KNOW physical media are struggling with.
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I would absolutely love to finally get Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter on R1 DVD, it's the only recent Getter Robo anime to not come over, afterall, I'm not going to keep my hopes up for them... But I would love to be proven wrong.

The only killer with this is how to do Texas Mac. Most of the fun with him is the horrible voicing and weird racism. "You Japanese monkey". I mean come on. What the hell is that? Will that playout as funny if done in English?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will mean more anime licenses for the US market???
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:

I wouldn't say it is compared to all the extra features and nicer packaging of Aria. With no dub, it's not like Funimation would have dropped the price to $40. It would have probably still been at least $50, with the same crappy packaging and no extras on 2 DVDs.

I'll take the content of the main thing I'm buying getting a fantastic dub and therefore including two great tracks as the primary with the bonus items second in convincing me to buy something, and I buy a lot of limited editions for higher cost when the main content gets full treatment.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Cool as long as they will dub and get some good anime it will be ok

Agreed, unfortunately the track record with "US R2s" is that they won't, just like with Aniplex who I thought would different given how big they are.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:

...You mean just like Sentai/Section23? And let's not forget about Kannagi and Hayate from Bandai...

Nozomi is the exception, not the rule. They only release maybe a handful of titles every few months. They have a different business model than everyone else.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the Dub Only (or possibly dual audio?) DVD releases of Deltora Quest Smile.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Interesting news. More major players would be nice. I'm a bit sick of Funimation licensing everything and releasing it with shitty packaging and up to 7 episodes on a disc..
Yeah they need to teach the west that having nice packaging with only 2 episodes per disc at twice the price, is the better way. Rolling Eyes

The problem with Geneon is that through Dentsu it sold the right way, but with the wrong product. Unless Dentsu has had a big change in corporate policy regarding the US, and the world, I can't see them succeeding any better this time round, but time will only tell. Good luck to them mending the fences they destroyed. Wink
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Nothing is gained, nothing is lost by this.

That I care about anyways.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
Nothing is gained, nothing is lost by this.

That I care about anyways.

"What makes a man turn Neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of Neutrality?" Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3