• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - OveraChivers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randalt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
That was a really good interview, thanks so much for having Chi as a guest. I learned a few things, and will listen to it again.
It's awful that Japanese animators are living in poverty, from what I hear in the ANNCast & Sankaku Complex site. Even here in Canada when I'm looking at animation courses, the schools try to steer me to something more lucrative, but I still want an animation career.
I live in poverty now, so no big change! Rolling Eyes
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Pandadice"]
loka wrote:

honestly, it depends on your definition of "moe".

The shows that Zac would consider "moe garbage", are a lot more common than shows I'd consider "moe". I'd consider a show like Sketchbook Fullcolors, or Hanamaru Kindergarten to be moe. But Zac/ANN (for the most part?) would say like, anything with females that could also include fanservice and/or ecchi (seeing as how when "moe" comes up, Zac always goes for the "and there's a shot of her panties", while in the biggest "moe" shows, there are no such shots (Kanon, Clannad, Air)) is moe.

Last Fall season we had Nyan Koi, Seitokai no Ichizon, Sora no Otoshimono, Shin Koihime Musou, Nogizaka 2.. These all are shows that if Zac watched them, his reaction would probably be like "uhgg, moe garbage". And these are the sort of ecchi/fanservice centric shows that, I'll agree, are really hurting the fanbase.

You didn't find Balsa nice to look at? I mean, I wouldn't put her on a "hottest chicks list", but the animation quality and characters designs were just so good in that series, I definitely found her and everyone else in that series nice to look at.

You know I think you have a great point there, and I feel that I might've been making that same mistake as Zac (that is if he is doing that cause I honestly don't know). I seem to also be confusing what is moe and what is just ecchi/fanservice.

And for the record I again agree that the shows that are really hurting the fanbase are those like the ones you listed (oh god, Nyan Koi...That wasted so many hours of my life) and maybe not necessarily the moe shows, which I don't really have that big of an issue with. That said I certainly don't want to see the industry being dominated by it, so maybe scaling back on it isn't a bad idea.

I also agree that Balsa isn't too bad on the eyes Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I was surprised to learn Zac dislikes Burn Notice. Hahaha. Ahh, personal preferences. Rolling Eyes

I'm really thrilled they got to converse with Chi "I can't even begin to pronounce your name" Umennachi.
It was such an interesting, fun, informative and insightful 'cast. I'm really just giddy to be able to hear it. Anime hyper

In particular, I like and very much agree with Chi's hopes for the anime industry's brighter future. Integrating ideas, reviving franchises and collaborating with one another all around like fascinating, exciting and profitable avenues imho.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I don't know why I was surprised to learn Zac dislikes Burn Notice. Hahaha. Ahh, personal preferences. Rolling Eyes

I've actually never seen Burn Notice, I just think all the jokes about it are particularly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd90oqIvtXs

http://bit.ly/bXdGRT
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

As I huge Chuck fan, I was shocked to learn that they do not seem to like Chuck. :O I highly recommend it, though!
Bananaboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Metal_Slug wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

As I huge Chuck fan, I was shocked to learn that they do not seem to like Chuck. :O I highly recommend it, though!

I love Chuck too. It's a shame that the viewership really isn't growing this season (it's shrinking actually).

As for anime currently airing that cuts through the moe disease like a knife, Durarara is the best one. Best show in years.

Thanks for this weeks episode guys.
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
Really great episode. This and the Chad Kime/Geneon episode are my favorites so far, for sure.
Zade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
A NEW VIDEO PLAYER?! YESSS!

Your other play was complete shit. Hands down the worst video player I've ever used in my entire life!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the podcast makes me think that Chi would love to have the new Marvel and Madhouse stuff to really work. And man, both sides of the industry (USA and Japan) seem so desperate now. If only the USA could somehow support them in that. But I can't imagine Funi or Viz having that kind of money to spend without putting themselves in financial risk again. At the same time I think if more people in the entertainment industry heard this particular podcast, it might get more people thinking. But damn all these failed live-action anime stuff is just bombing and I think the only current US money backing Japanese Anime (besides the Halo, Matrix, and Batman stuff) was that Yugioh movie. So many negative examples.
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Bananaboat wrote:
Metal_Slug wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I love Chuck too. It's a shame that the viewership really isn't growing this season (it's shrinking actually).

As for anime currently airing that cuts through the moe disease like a knife, Durarara is the best one. Best show in years.

Thanks for this weeks episode guys.

You know, I was considering watching Durarara because some of my friends that into anime (even the moe stuff that I don't like) were really gushing about it, and it seemed to have very pleasing character designs. But I gotta finish Baccano first!
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Really good podcast (finally found time to sit down with it at work today). Best one in a while for sure. Very informative.

Metal_Slug wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks that fusing moe and lolita to ANYTHING else is not going to work? I think its time to ditch moe and lolita entirely and make some detective action anime with all the aspects of Cowboy Bebop that made it so cool! I'm just so sick of seeing moe everywhere, and its driving me (and many others) away from the medium. Does anyone agree with me on this?
I guess I'll bring Sora no Woto up here as an example... because I get what you're saying. I didn't dislike SnW's character designs, but the content of the story could have worked just as well, if not better, with a more realisitc cast with more mature designs. I mean, I enjoy my Azumanga and K-ON! as the fluff that they are, and I don't quite go so far as to call it a guilty pleasure (because I don't see anything wrong with innocent cuteness), but that's like snack anime, not entre anime, and I'm with you that the presentation of the cast in an anime can make a huge (and sometimes detremental) impact on the way the story, themes, etc. are presented. As someone else mentioned, moe meets ____ can work, but usually that's done for the sake of the moe elements, not the rest of the work. I dunno, I guess as long as there is enough of each kind of thing I don't care too much.

Bringing up Vampire Bund was interesting. I just watched the show last week after reading finding out about the shitstorm that blew in about Funi's announcements some time back. I wouldn't have watched it were it not for my curiosity to see what it was like that it needed to be edited. While I did enjoy some of the show (had some pretty sweet fights, and some of the JUST AS PLANNED moments were awesome), I can't see that show working for mainstream US audience at all... A really dull first episode followed by naked loli would send most people packing. But the concept does have some potential I think, especially as a transitionary thing.

It's like the old internet proverb: "Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is...umm...really, really dumb and bad."

Seljuk wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I can't wait for a slew of Christian-themed anime.

God is so tsundere. Tsun tsun in the Old Testament, dere dere in the New Testament.

It's...It's not like I wanted to save you, or anything!

I lol'd hard. XDDD
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I've actually never seen Burn Notice, I just think all the jokes about it are particularly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd90oqIvtXs

http://bit.ly/bXdGRT

Yeah seems like SNL is going down the tubes too Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6