• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Jump Editors Discuss Unauthorized Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGonspy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't really understand where this sense of entitlement is coming from. I've seen several comments in this thread about how if something has been released in Japan, fans elsewhere in the world have the right to read it as soon as possible.

While you can argue that companies over there would make more money if they released it more rapidly and with some kind of online option, that doesn't give anyone the right to distribute the content freely. We're not talking about food or water or some other essential product, manga is a luxury item. Creating an open environment where it can be freely distributed with no sort of payment offered to the publisher or author is far more unjust than not receiving the latest installment of your favourite series a few months ahead of schedule.
motosierra

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
As to the whiteness, it's a good way to define the difference between east and west, streets of tokyo look different than the streets of sacramento.

As to getting me to pay, I know MOST of us would be willing to pay about $0.50 to read the latest bleach... the lower price would UP the ammount I actually pay for manga, because I don't often have $10 to BLOW on something I don't know if I like yet. Internet subbers can get a product done in 10 hours, the company can release it on the internet where licensing is unnecessary, and they both make a profit in a market where there's a loss.

Basically, this is a venture where the only way they could LOOSE money is if the cost of bandwidth exceeded the charge for viewing.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
Most of whom? Rabid Bleach fans? If I'm going to pay $0,50 (which would probably be €0,50 in Europe) per chapter, I want a proper book.

Does it really matter if we're a few months behind the Japanese? It's not like they never have to wait for anything. We're waiting at the same pace, we're just a little behind, that's all. Something like that shouldn't have any effect on your enjoyment of the series.

Besides, there are plenty of ways to entertain yourself while waiting. There is a lot more manga available from American publishers than scanlation fans are aware of. They may not have that one series that's very popular in Japan right now, but there is a ton of great stuff you've probably never heard of. And the nice thing is, many of those series are already fully available in English.

Check the publishers' websites (several of them have previews, full chapters you can read for free!), make a visit to your local library, browse these forums (you can even ask for recommendations!), read blogs (like this one) and/or buy Manga: The Complete Guide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9